[sci.astro] Magellan Update - 08/17/90

stevee@ism780c.isc.com (Steve Ellingson) (08/22/90)

Just out of curiosity, what language is Magellan's computer
programmed in?

What languages are used to program satellites and space-probes,
generally?

			Steve

Steve Ellingson              stevee@ism.isc.com
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.    {ico, uunet}!ism.isc.com!stevee

olson@antares.cs.Virginia.EDU (Thomas J. Olson) (08/23/90)

In article <46636@ism780c.isc.com> stevee@ism.isc.com (Steve Ellingson) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, what language is Magellan's computer
>programmed in?
>
>What languages are used to program satellites and space-probes,
>generally?

I don't know about Magellan, but at least until recently a lot of
spacecraft were still programmed in assembler.  Some reasons: first,
processors able to meet the reliability and radiation tolerance
specs generally don't have a lot of horsepower to waste-- the CDP1802
(8 bit, 1Mhz), for example, is flying in at least one Galileo experiment.
(Does anybody remember the "little professor" kit?  that was an 1802...)
Thus, to conserve hrosspower and code size, you write assembler.
Second, until recently you couldn't carry enough memory to run very
complex programs, so assembler programs weren't excessively difficult
to write reliably.  Even I can get a 1000-line assy program right given
enough time...  I do know that FORTH has been used in some instruments,
since it offers some of the benefits of conventional languages without
quite such a heavy performance hit.

Caveat: I've only been involved with instruments, not with the more
mission-critical processors that run the bus (ie the spacecraft itself,
its antennae, power supplies etc.)  Comments from somebody in that business?

--Tom Olson