[sci.astro] Shuttle scrubbed again

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) (09/18/90)

The shuttle Columbia's launch attempt was just scrubbed. A hydrogen
leak caused a concentration of more than 1000 ppm in the aft
compartments. Values of 2275 ppm were measured. Values are currently
less than 1500 ppm, but the mission is scrubbed for tonight.

At the present time it is unknown what will happen.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

arnaud@schizo.schizo.imposter.samsung.com (Alain Arnaud) (09/18/90)

	What's happening at NASA. I am starting to beleive some of
	their critics that say that the agency should be closed. Their
	credibility has really gone down, specially after the latest
	scrub. They tell us that the leak was a seal problem, that it
	was fixed, and here we go again, another scrub.

	They should not cry wolf, too many times.

	I vote, to replace NASA with the ESA (European Space Agency).
	Let's launch our payloads on Ariannes and Shuttles from Guyanna.
	At least, ESA is capable of properly resolving and fixing problems
	in a timely manner.

ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep17.224055.1343@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:

|> The shuttle Columbia's launch attempt was just scrubbed. A hydrogen
|> leak caused a concentration of more than 1000 ppm in the aft
|> compartments. Values of 2275 ppm were measured. Values are currently
|> less than 1500 ppm, but the mission is scrubbed for tonight.
|>
|> At the present time it is unknown what will happen.
|>
|> --
|> -Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
|>  USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475
USA
|>  Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
|>  UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w

Anyone know what concentrations of hydrogen are capable of causing a
real explosion?

neufeld@physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (09/25/90)

In article <993@dg.dg.com> ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) writes:
>gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:
>|>
>|> A hydrogen
>|> leak caused a concentration of more than 1000 ppm in the aft
>|> compartments. Values of 2275 ppm were measured.
>|>
>|> -Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
>|>  Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
>|>  UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w
>

>Anyone know what concentrations of hydrogen are capable of causing a
>real explosion?

   According to the 1989-1990 CRC handbook, hydrogen in air will burn
with flame propagation for a hydrogen concentration between 4.00% and
74.20% by volume. So, 2275 ppm is roughly a nineteenth of the minimum
concentration required to cause an explosion, assuming that measure is
ppm volume.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | "The pizza was just a
 neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | detonator; I mean, if

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (09/25/90)

In article <993@dg.dg.com> ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) writes:
#Anyone know what concentrations of hydrogen are capable of causing a
#real explosion?

About 4 percent, or 40,000 ppm. The limit for a shuttle launch is
1,000 ppm.

--

ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) (09/26/90)

writes:
|> #Anyone know what concentrations of hydrogen are capable of causing a
|> #real explosion?
|>
|> About 4 percent, or 40,000 ppm. The limit for a shuttle launch is
|> 1,000 ppm.
|>

|> --
|> -Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
|>  USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475
USA
|>  Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
|>  UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w

Why is there such a great gap between the launch limit and the 4%
concentration?  If the limit was 2% (20K ppm) wouldn't there be ample
time to scrub as the limit was exceeded, and vent the gas?

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (09/29/90)

ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) writes:

>Why is there such a great gap between the launch limit and the 4%
>concentration?  If the limit was 2% (20K ppm) wouldn't there be ample
>time to scrub as the limit was exceeded, and vent the gas?

If the amount of Hydrogen exceeds the launch limit, that means that
there is something wrong, and something wrong may become very wrong.

If you analyzed some food, and found that its cyanide content was only
1% of the LD50 (the dose required to kill half the people eating it),
you probably would want to avoid that food, even though it would
probably have no ill effects on your health.

The area into which the Hydrogen leaks is flushed with Nitrogen, so
it wouldn't explode even at 4%, but the principle still holds.

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

gsh7w@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (09/29/90)

In article <1001@dg.dg.com> ahughes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) writes:
#Why is there such a great gap between the launch limit and the 4%
#concentration?  If the limit was 2% (20K ppm) wouldn't there be ample
#time to scrub as the limit was exceeded, and vent the gas?

Because the sensors can be several feet, or tens of feet from where
the leak is. The concentration will increase as you get closer to the
leak. NASA is leaving themselves a healthy safety margin.