[sci.astro] ASTRO status at 4/16:00 MET

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (12/07/90)

Well, the last 24 hours has brought good news, extremely bad news, and
now decent news. The good news was that during shift nine, the first
11 objects observed averaged 76 percent of the scheduled observing
time, a value that made the science teams VERY happy. Most of the
tracking was done by the astronauts by joystick, and obtained lots of
data for the spectrometers. The patch to the star tracker did not
clear the problem, but the automatic tracking was tried only three
time, suceeding once, the first time it did suceed. The stability was
excellent, and there was hope that the star trackers could be made to
work before very long. Even the manual guiding gave respectable images
for the UIT, which is most affected by loss of the star trackers.
Observations were done of M100, M74, Hercules X-1, the Cygnus Loop,
Alpha Hydra, the Vela SuperNova Remnant, and M82, among others. Then
disaster struck.

The second Data Display Unit (DDU) failed. This left the astronauts
with no way to enter commands to the instruments. This meant that the
UV instruments could not take any data whatsoever,  even though BBXRT
was unaffected. The day was understandable hectic, but a contingency
plan has been developed. All the UV instruments have a backup ground
based controls. During the past shift these instrumetns were powered
up and tested. During this time the shuttle gave priority to BBXRT
telescopes. Starting with shift 11, the data for the telescopes will
be entered on teh ground, and uploaded. The astronauts will still do
the manual guiding, but otherwise the UV instruments will be
controlled on the ground. The science observations for shift 11 were
canceled, and a system was iinstutued to first try to get UIT working,
then HUT, then WUPPE. This was in order of decreasing  field of view,
or of increasing difficulty. This scenerio was never simulated, since
loss of both DDU's was thought to be an unreasonable scenerio. UIT
will pick two targets on opposite sides of the sky, NGC 1399 at Ra 3
hours 36 min and Centaurus A at Ra 13 hours 22 min. UIT will
"ping-pong" back and forth between these two targets for 4 orbits,
then HUT will try 2 orbits trying to acquire the quasar Q1821, then
WUPPE will try 2 orbits trying to acquire GAM-GEM. On shift 12 other
targets will be tried, or increasing scientific interest and degree of
difficulty. These targets are still being worked out. Once confidence
is gained in this mode of observing, secondary observations will be
allowed.

It now appears that a 10'th day of the mission is possible.

Boy, was today hectic.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (12/08/90)

From article <1990Dec6.230645.27668@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, by gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy):
> Well, the last 24 hours has brought good news, extremely bad news, and
> now decent news. The good news was that during shift nine, the first

Just another example of when you should NOT send a man to do a robot's job.
From the exercises fouling up the stability to lint from uniforms clogging
air intakes, to residue from the huge thrusters (which are only necessary
because it is a huge plane carrying men and the HEAVY life support equipment)
the evidence is overwhelming that good science in astronomy done from
orbit and human presence don't mix.  The entire astro concept made no sense
after they spent umpty dumpty million dollars and then refused to fly
it but once.  If they fly it again, its cost MIGHT come close to being
justified.

While I am on a roll, there is a statement of profound significance in
the scientists remarks concerning 3C273 "I've waited 13 and a half years
. . . ."  We bellyache constantly in the US about the constant advances
by the Japanese and Germans and then do not give adequate support to
doing basic science and basic technology research.  It is pitiful.

Bob

    My opinions are my own no matter	|	Robert W. McGwier, N4HY
    who I work for! ;-)			|	CCR, AMSAT, etc.

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (12/10/90)

In article <828@idacrd.UUCP> mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
#Just another example of when you should NOT send a man to do a robot's job.
#From the exercises fouling up the stability to lint from uniforms clogging
#air intakes, to residue from the huge thrusters (which are only necessary
#because it is a huge plane carrying men and the HEAVY life support equipment)
#the evidence is overwhelming that good science in astronomy done from
#orbit and human presence don't mix.

Perhaps you are unaware that for the last four days the astronauts
were guiding the instruments because the "robot" was broken?

Perhaps you are unaware that this guiding CANNOT be done from the
ground because of the round trip travel time?

The entire astro concept made no sense
#after they spent umpty dumpty million dollars and then refused to fly
#it but once.  If they fly it again, its cost MIGHT come close to being
#justified.

Please, by all means, write your congresscritter about ASTRO and write
NASA about it. If NASA and congress see public interest, ASTRO WILL
fly again. I expect that the images from UIT will be available to the
press in early January, and I will try to post FITS images to the net,
although I'll have to worry about the bandwidth.

#. . . ."  We bellyache constantly in the US about the constant advances
#by the Japanese and Germans and then do not give adequate support to
#doing basic science and basic technology research.  It is pitiful.

If you think it is pitiful, write to your congresscritter. If you are
not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. (Or part of the
precipate.)

--

rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (12/11/90)

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) writes:
>Just another example of when you should NOT send a man to do a robot's job.
>From the exercises fouling up the stability to lint from uniforms clogging
>air intakes, to residue from the huge thrusters (which are only necessary
>because it is a huge plane carrying men and the HEAVY life support equipment)
>the evidence is overwhelming that good science in astronomy done from
>orbit and human presence don't mix.  The entire astro concept made no sense
>after they spent umpty dumpty million dollars and then refused to fly
>it but once.  If they fly it again, its cost MIGHT come close to being
>justified.

Well, all I know about ASTRO is what I read here and in the papers, but
wouldn't the mission have been a total waste without the astronauts helping
out with the star tracking duties?  I thought this was evidence *for* human
presence, not against it.  (I realize that the lint might not have been there,
but something else might have gone wrong, as with HST, Magellan, etc.)
--
Dan Rose		{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!beowulf!rose.uucp
UC San Diego		rose%cs@ucsd.edu