[sci.astro] Ultimate Weapon

njzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (T. Joseph Lazio, Cornell University) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.152955.4632@d.cs.okstate.edu>,
rjs@d.cs.okstate.edu (Roland Stolfa) writes:
> If both of the two previous questions can be answered "yes", then consider
> the following Ultimate Weapon.
>
> A.   Take two areas and collect in each one half of a black hole's mass.
>      These two areas should be far enough appart that they will not be
>      pulling each other together, yet.
>
> B.   Once the mass has been achieved, start both pieces in motion
>      towards an "enemy", while also moving the pieces towards each
>      other.
>
> C.   Arrange it so that the two pieces collide and form our black
>      hole before reaching the "enemy", hopefully far enough away
>      from "us" to not cause us any problems.  If it needs some energy,
>      make the collision point some star that already has a good
>      chunk of the mass, as well as the energy that might be needed.
>
> D.   Once the black hole has been formed, it could travel along
>      (Newtons's law ???), and quite simply suck the entire solar
>      system of the "enemy" to oblivion.

       While we are speaking of Ultimate Weapons...Stan Woosley once
       published a paper on Type I supernovae (which I cannot currently
       find).  In it, he spends about a paragraph detailing how a
       degenerate carbon white dwarf could be turned into a massive
       thermonuclear bomb.  He concludes that it is not currently
       feasible, in part, because it is not clear how to place a
       detenator near the center of the white dwarf to start the
       explosion.

--
      T. Joseph Lazio
      Cornell University  (607) 255-6420