[sci.astro] Solar Flares

kww@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr Kevin Waite) (06/14/91)

In article <3225@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk>, sfleming@cs.hw.ac.uk (Stewart Fleming) writes:

> Any reports of actual disturbance from anywhere else on the ground ?
> [We have one (possibly true) story of a Computer Scientist being transformed
> into a Psychologist due to a bit flipping in an admin computer.]

I can confirm this report since I am that Computer Scientist/Psychologist!
Moreover, the storm was so severe that as well as changing professions,
the storm has made me more susceptible to junk mail.  I now get all that
psychological junk as well as the computing stuff.  I believe it is the
South Atlantic Anomoly setting up a branch here in Glasgow!

Cheers,
	Kevin

----------------
Psycho-analysis rates on demand.  No loonies please.

--
Email:   kww@uk.ac.glasgow.dcs  (JANET)
         kww%dcs.glasgow.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  (INTERNET)

jmh@coyote.datalog.com (John Hughes) (06/16/91)

In article <3225@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> sfleming@cs.hw.ac.uk writes:
>A front page article in the British "Independent" newspaper today warns of the
>dangers of severe magnetic storms (as pointed out by the regular solar flare
>postings on this newsgroup).
>
>The British Geological Survey in Edinburgh reported the detection of the shock
>wave produced by an extra large solar flare.
>
>Any reports of actual disturbance from anywhere else on the ground ?
>[We have one (possibly true) story of a Computer Scientist being transformed
>into a Psychologist due to a bit flipping in an admin computer.]
>
>The article also mentions that international computer networks could be
>affected since they rely on satellites to route me%^#.)*{|{@
>
>STF
>--
>sfleming@cs.hw.ac.uk                        ...ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!sfleming
>+44-31-225-6465 x553
>"I saw Sean Connery eating mushroom soup and watching the Repulican march."

Here in Tucson I heard numerous reports of excess noise from those that do
local data telecomm activities. I also noticed that the noise level jumped
significantly, in some cases causing an immediate disconnect. Perhaps it
has something to with the large number of phone lines we have draped from
poles, instead of being buried.

--
|     John M. Hughes      | "...unfolding in consciousness at the            |
| datalog.com!moondog!jmh | deliberate speed of pondering."  - Daniel Dennet |