[sci.astro] Go-ahead for Giotto Extended Mission

szabo@sequent.com (06/17/91)

In article <457.285B3398@nss.FIDONET.ORG> freed@nss.FIDONET.ORG (Bev Freed) writes:

>GO-AHEAD FOR GIOTTO EXTENDED MISSION
>...encounter Comet Grigg Skejellerup on 10 July 1992 around 3 p.m. GMT...
>With a few planned maneouvres, Giotto will come to within about
>1,000 km of Grigg Skejellerup.

Good news!  Grigg Skejellerup has a period of 5.2 years, and will
be near perihilion in July 1992.  It is the parent body of the April
Pi-Puppid meteor shower (which should also give a good show in 1992).
Does anybody know if there exist plans to observe the meteor shower
stream nearby the comet, as well as the comet itself?

Keep up the great work across the Atlantic!

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...