[sci.space] Martian meteors on earth

galyen@scicom.UUCP (Robert Galyen) (10/12/86)

In the Saturday (Oct. 11) Rocky Mountain News there is a article about 8
meteors found in India, Egypt, France, Anarctica, Nigeria, Brazil, and
United States that are suppose to have originated from Mars, based on
similar geologic characteristic and chemical composition.  Speculation is
the meteors were blasted into space when a large asteriod or comet impacted
the martian surface resulting in generation of jets of hot gases which could
have propeled meter sized objects into space, exceeding the martian escape
velocity of 11,300 mph.

The article doesn't mention a size for the impacting object other than
asteriod or comet, is there a size definition for these planetary inter-
lopers?  Is there any way of determining the minimum size required of an
impacting object?  Also, it seems that the proximity of the moon, the low
lunar gravity, and some of the larger impact events would have combined to
send lunar 'litho' grams to earth.

Comments, speculations?

--robert--

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
That steals the color from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow is white,
But we decide which is right,
And which is an illusion.

The Moody Blues
Knights in White Satin

cpf@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Courtenay Footman) (10/16/86)

In article <686@scicom.UUCP> galyen@scicom.UUCP (Robert Galyen) writes:

>In the Saturday (Oct. 11) Rocky Mountain News there is a article about 8
>meteors found in India, Egypt, France, Anarctica, Nigeria, Brazil, and
>United States that are suppose to have originated from Mars, based on
>similar geologic characteristic and chemical composition.  Speculation is
>the meteors were blasted into space when a large asteriod or comet impacted
>the martian surface resulting in generation of jets of hot gases which could
>have propeled meter sized objects into space, exceeding the martian escape
>velocity of 11,300 mph.
>
>The article doesn't mention a size for the impacting object other than
>asteriod or comet, is there a size definition for these planetary inter-
>lopers?  Is there any way of determining the minimum size required of an
>impacting object?  Also, it seems that the proximity of the moon, the low
>lunar gravity, and some of the larger impact events would have combined to
>send lunar 'litho' grams to earth.

See the latest Science for an article about these eight objects.  It gives the
result of a detailed (2-D) calculation of how these objects could have
been thrown off Mars.  Basically it involves a ~1 Km meteorite traveling
at ~7.5 Km/sec that impacts at an angle of 20 to 60 degrees;  among
other things, a large, dense, fast jet of gas forms that can (relatively)
gently push things off the surface.   That `gently' is important; there is
more than enough energy to blast something off Mars, but accelerating
it without vaporizing it is tricky.

Also, many meteorites are from the moon;  I don't remember the exact numbers,
but I think that there are more of them from the moon than Mars.

Courtenay Footman		ARPA:	cpf@lnsvax.tn.cornell.edu
Lab. of Nuclear Studies		Usenet:	cornell!lnsvax!cpf
Cornell University		Bitnet: cpf%lnsvax.tn.cornell.edu@WISCVM.BITNET