[sci.space] Another reason for Martian colonization

ESG7@DFVLROP1.BITNET (10/17/86)

Another amusing point about Martian industrialization is that on Mars

"pollution is your friend".  On Earth you want to avoid having factories

spewing out vast volumes of smoke due to problems with the green house

effect, acid rain, etc.  Nuclear energy is generally incompatible

with a living planet because of the ionizing radiation.  However this

is not true with Mars.  Anything that adds pressure to the atmosphere

is good towards terraforming the planet.  With used up nuclear fuel

rods, rather than burying them deep into the earth, one should cut them

up into small hunks and scatter the pieces over the Martian ice caps.

If one could get enough CO2 into the atmosphere of Mars one could in

principle get the atmospheric pressure above the partial pressure of

water.  Once it was possible to have liquid water on the surface of

Mars, one could then introduce geneticly engineered microorganisms to

modify the atmosphere into something breathable.  This is just one more

reason why Mars is ideal for industrialization.

                Gary Allen

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (10/20/86)

In article <8610171353.AA05955@s1-b.arpa> ESG7@DFVLROP1.BITNET writes:
>Another amusing point about Martian industrialization is that on Mars
>"pollution is your friend".  On Earth you want to avoid having factories
>spewing out vast volumes of smoke due to problems with the green house
>effect, acid rain, etc.  Nuclear energy is generally incompatible
>with a living planet because of the ionizing radiation.  However this
>is not true with Mars.  Anything that adds pressure to the atmosphere
>is good towards terraforming the planet.  With used up nuclear fuel
>rods, rather than burying them deep into the earth, one should cut them
>up into small hunks and scatter the pieces over the Martian ice caps.
>If one could get enough CO2 into the atmosphere of Mars one could in
>principle get the atmospheric pressure above the partial pressure of
>water.  Once it was possible to have liquid water on the surface of
>Mars, one could then introduce geneticly engineered microorganisms to
>modify the atmosphere into something breathable.  This is just one more
>reason why Mars is ideal for industrialization.
>
>                Gary Allen

Hmm.  By the time all this industrial pollution has created a breathable
atmosphere, I guess the plutonium would have decayed to safe levels! :-)

1.  If you want to terraform Mars, it is easier to just throw a few large
    pieces of rock or ice at the polar caps.  That will vaporize the CO2
    faster than just about anything else.

2.  If noone in net.space has yet come up with a good reason to industrialize
    LEO or the Moon, what makes you think that putting industry on Mars
    will be make any more economic sense, especially given the vastly
    greater distance?

    Personal opinion time : I can't see any valid reason to go to Mars
    other than as another Apollo-type 'publicity stunt'.  Hold off on the
    flame-throwers, for a minute : I think the Apollo program was great,
    but I can see a lot more reasons for investing the money in Earth-Moon
    space than in a one-shot mission to Mars, even though it may be much
    more glamorous.

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Arthur C. Clarke's Law :
  It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.