[sci.space] Volcanism

gerolima@wdl1.UUCP (Mark Gerolimatos) (11/03/86)

(duplicate posting from net.space...)

I was reading some stupid Time/Life book on the solar system, when
I ran across something on Io. The line mentioned that Io's volcanism
is not a result of radiation, as on earth.

Can someone please explain what they meant by volcanism begin the
result of radiation? Perhaps they meant in the form of heat from
the core?

	"For almost a quarter of a century..."

	Mark Gerolimatos

ARPA:	gerolima@ford-wdl1.{arpa,com}   "Let's take our neighbor for a ride!
UUCP:	{sun,fortune}!wdl1!gerolima	 Would  you like to go for a ride!?"
AT&T:	(415) 852-4105			   "Uuhhhh...no thanks."
USPS:	c/o Ford Aerospace		"No what!?" "No, I wouldn't like to go."
	3939 Fabian Way			"Go Where!?" "Uuhh...for a ride..."
	Palo Alto CA 94303		"GOOD IDEA!!! LET'S GO FOR A RIDE!!!"
	Mail Stop X20

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (11/05/86)

In article <3400001@wdl1.UUCP>, gerolima@wdl1.UUCP (Mark Gerolimatos) writes:
> (duplicate posting from net.space...)
>
> I was reading some stupid Time/Life book on the solar system, when
> I ran across something on Io. The line mentioned that Io's volcanism
> is not a result of radiation, as on earth.
>
> Can someone please explain what they meant by volcanism begin the
> result of radiation? Perhaps they meant in the form of heat from
> the core?

You have it.  The Earth's core is hot as a result of radioactive decay
of heavy atoms.  (There is also some contribution from the release of
latent heat as material gradually solidifies).  Io's core is too
small for this to work (also Io is made of lighter stuff).  Its
core is heating by tidal friction.
--
"More Astronomy                Ethan Vishniac
 Less Sodomy"                  {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (11/05/86)

> Can someone please explain what they meant by volcanism begin the
> result of radiation? Perhaps they meant in the form of heat from
> the core?

The primary heat source inside the earth is radioactive decay of elements
like uranium, thorium and potassium. This heat keeps much of the interior
of the earth in a molten state, and drives vulcanism, plate tectonics
and the like.

Io is probably different in that its heat source comes Jupiter's tidal
effects. The friction from the constant flexing of the moon by the planet
creates enough heat to drive Io's constantly erupting volcanoes. This is
the current theory, at least.

Phil