[sci.space] picture of Solar System

anderson@NRL-CSR.ARPA (Paul Anderson) (11/18/86)

A statement in the last SPACE Digest made me think of something interesting:
Has there been any effort to have either Voyager I or Voyager II take a
picture of one or more planets, or of the solar system, as they are flying
away from it, looking back at it?  Of particular interest would be pictures
of Pluto; even though these spacecraft may be a long way away from it, they
still might be closer to it than we are here.
Anybody know anything about this?
Paul Anderson
anderson@nrl-csr

andrew@alberta.UUCP (11/19/86)

In article <8611181755.AA25367@nrl-csr.ARPA> anderson@NRL-CSR.ARPA (Paul Anderson) writes:
>Has there been any effort to have either Voyager I or Voyager II take a
>picture of one or more planets, or of the solar system, as they are flying
>away from it, looking back at it?  Of particular interest would be pictures
>of Pluto; even though these spacecraft may be a long way away from it, they
>still might be closer to it than we are here.
>Anybody know anything about this?
>Paul Anderson
>anderson@nrl-csr

The Voyagers have taken departing shots of every planet they went by,
including the Earth and Moon (in the same frame, a first!).  Pluto is
just a *bit* too far away for it to appear any larger than it does from
Earth, remember the Voyager's cameras are < 8 (?) inches in diameter,
and Pluto will still be some A.U.'s away at 'closest approach'. I still
think the shots of a cresent Saturn were the most remarkable.

--
Andrew Folkins    ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Arthur C. Clarke's Law :
   It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.