[sci.space] Electromagnetic launchers

wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) (11/14/86)

Thought SPACE readers might find this item of interest:

From DEFENSE ELECTRONICS, Nov. '86, p. 18, "Focus" column:

KAMAN'S COIL GUNS PORTEND HEAVY-LOAD LAUNCH ROLE

Kaman Corp. of Bloomfield, Conn., plans to build and demonstrate an
electromagnetic coil gun under an $8.5-million Army/DARPA anti-armor
contract. Using coils instead of rails, Kaman expects to achieve muzzle
velocities of 13,000 feet per second and rates of fire of three
projectiles per minute. Dr. Henry Kolm, president of Kaman's
Electromagnetic Launch Research subsidiary, believes that the coil, not
the rail, has the greatest technological potential. He predicts that
electromagnetic coils will someday launch aircraft from carriers and
spacecraft from launch pads. Aboard cariers, the coils would save space
and weight by replacing steam catapults. At the launch pad, according
to Kaman's Kolm, electromagnetic coils would initially eliminate
first-stage boosters and eventually permit the direct launching of
payloads into space.
*** End of article ***

kempf@hplabsc.UUCP (Jim Kempf) (11/15/86)

Re: offbeat launching schemes, sometime back I saw an article in
a technical rocketry journal about using a space based laser to
lift a vehicle using an electromagnetic field and MHD forces.
Does anyone know what happened to this idea?
	Jim Kempf	hplabs!kempf

jtk@mordor.ARPA (Jordan Kare) (11/19/86)

In article <869@hplabsc.UUCP> kempf@hplabsc.UUCP (Jim Kempf) writes:

>Re: offbeat launching schemes, sometime back I saw an article in
>a technical rocketry journal about using a space based laser to
>lift a vehicle using an electromagnetic field and MHD forces.
>Does anyone know what happened to this idea?
>	Jim Kempf	hplabs!kempf

This may refer to Dr. Leik Myrabo's Apollo Lightcraft project.
Myrabo has designed (under contract to the Air Force) a series
of laser-propelled vehicles that use several different modes
of thrust generation, all powered by a laser beam incident from
above.  One mode is an "MHD Fanjet", where the laser drives
a hydrogen-fuelled "rocket" (laser light passes thru a window and
is absorbed in hydrogen gas, which exits thru a nozzle), but the
rocket exhaust is used to generate electricity via an MHD system
(rather than providing direct thrust).  The electricity drives
an "electric fan" around the rim of the vehicle: arcs are established
between the vehicle rim and an outer shroud ring; blades between rim
and shroud contain coils to generate a magnetic field; j x B forces
push the arc (and associated air) down and the vehicle up.  The advantage
is that one gets more thrust than a pure laser rocket per unit
laser energy and per unit fuel mass, but can run at higher velocities
than any chemical-fuelled jet.

	Myrabo's systems are ingenious, but complex and untested, with
stiff requirements for the driving laser's properties.  I recommend
his book, "The Future of Flight" (with Dean Ing, Baen Books) for a
good collection of exotic propulsion techniques.  There are some even
more extreme suggestions around (e.g. using the photon pressure
of a laser beam in a resonant cavity formed between a vehicle and
the ground), but there are also some very simple (though not
necessarily straightforward) versions of laser propulsion which
may be available quite soon.  For instance, a ground-based
laser system capable of
launching a one ton payload into low earth orbit, at a maximum
acceleration of six gees, EVERY 15 MINUTES (uh, lessee, four tons an
hour, 96 tons a day, do maintenance on weekends, call it 30,000 tons
a year)... System cost less than the Space Transportation System ...
unit cost under $50/lb in orbit... When?  Maybe before the end of
the century.  Stay tuned...

		Jordin Kare	jtk@mordor.uucp  	jtk@s1-c.arpa