[sci.space] Why not F-1s for Jarvis? -and- Is TAU a boondoggle?

ESG7@DFVLROP1.BITNET (11/17/86)

This note concerns Henry Spencer's posting in Vol. 7, No. 45  in Space

Digest.  I would like to begin by offering my thanks to Henry for his

distillations from Aviation Week.  I'm located in Goettingen, West

Germany (AVA-DFVLR).  The DFVLR library doesn't receive Aviation Week

until fairly late, so Henry's efforts are greatly appreciated.  Also it

seems that Henry does a much better job of reading Aviation Week than I

do, since he's always finding tidbits that I missed.  Henry's last

postings raised two questions in my mind.  Why is it, that to

remanufacture the old F-1 engines is more expensive than using SSMEs?

It seems ludicrous to be throwing a reuseable SSME into the sea when a

cheaper and higher performance F-1 (which is designed to be

use-once-throw-away) is the obvious choice.  Admittedly there is an

initial tool up expense.  However it is hard to believe that this

expense couldn't be quickly offset by the lower launch cost for an F-1

based Jarvis.  I've always thought that the F-1 engine was one of the

more important technologies to come out of the Apollo program, and

its premature obsolesence was a serious error.  On another

subject the TAU (Thousand Astronautical Unit) spacecraft smacks of being

a boondoggle.  Who in his right mind would want to fund a multimillion

dollar spacecraft that literally goes nowhere?  If you want to argue

that it is a test bed for a high preformance nuclear-ion propulsion

system, then my snappy comeback is the money could be better spent

on a comet rendevous using the same technology.  An even better mission

would be a Pluto orbiter.  I've always thought that Pluto might well be

an example of a "rogue planet" which was created outside of the solar

system.  The theory is that Pluto approached the solar system on a

hyperbolic trajectory, (which by definition means it would have escape

velocity), but was captured because it had a near miss with the moon

Triton orbiting Neptune.  Both Triton and Pluto have very irregular

orbits, and Pluto does intersect with Neptune's orbit. Therefore this

theory isn't as nutty as it first sounds.  When Voyager flies by Triton,

we'll have more evidence to fuel or quench speculation.  On any event

this TAU mission strikes me as a misuse of limited planetary exploration

funds.

                       Gary Allen

adamsd@crash.UUCP (Adams Douglas) (11/18/86)

In article <8611171047.AA09235@s1-b.arpa> ESG7@DFVLROP1.BITNET writes:
>...On any event
>
>this TAU mission strikes me as a misuse of limited planetary exploration
>
>funds.
>
>                       Gary Allen

I attended the original lecture on the TAU proposal over a year ago,
and I can assure you it would be neither a waste of funds nor a
boondoggle. The primary mission of TAU is to permit very precise
astrometry of nearby stars orders of magnitude better than any we can
achieve now. With a 1000 AU baseline, we will be able to determine
accurate stellar distances for stars all the way to the galactic
center ('nearby stars' being a relative term here). Add to this the
fact that TAU essentially involves putting a HST grade telescope
outside our solar system, thus giving us the capability for a
useful perspective on our own system form a very different vantage
point.

One should also not ignore the fact that this ion-powered bus gliding
out of our system gives us the perfect opportunity to do good hard
science in near-interstellar space (5 times the distance at which we
will lose contact with Voyagers 1 and 2). Many intruments besides the
telescope can be hung on the platform, which--unlike Voyager--is
designed to be talked to at that distance.

TAU 'goes nowhere' only in the same sense that the Voyagers or the
Pioneers do. It's what it'll gather on the way that makes it so
valuable.

Oh, yes, I don't have any personal interest in the project here at
JPL. My comments are strictly from my own interest in seeing the best
use made of the limited planetary exploration budget.
Adams Douglas	ARPA:crash!adamsd@nosc.arpa  AT&T:818-354-3076
JPL/NASA	UUCP:{akgua | hplabs!hp-sdd | sdcsvax | noscvax}!crash!adamsd

My opinions! Do you hear? MINE! Not JPL's.

"Do not be angry with me if I tell you the truth." -- Socrates

> ...  Why is it, that to
> remanufacture the old F-1 engines is more expensive than using SSMEs?

My guess would be that the problem is not so much cost as uncertainty.
The F-1 production line shut down a long time ago, and it's not clear that
the tooling and plans were preserved properly.  (To say nothing of the
analogous problem with subcontractors, e.g. the people who used to supply
small quantities of very precisely formulated alloys -- they may not even
be using the same production processes nowadays, which would make it very
hard to be sure that the resulting alloys are exactly the same.)  There's
no doubt that production could be restarted; the hard part is restarting
it accurately enough that you don't need to start engine testing all over
again.  Even small variations in materials could affect things enough to
make it a gamble to fly new-production F-1s without a thorough test program.
Hughes can't afford such a test program if it's going to make the deadline
for the USAF MLV contract; as it is the Jarvis will be a bit late, although
Hughes hopes that the large payload will make up for this.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology