[sci.space] Microwave beams, powersats

jon@oddhack.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <5893@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>I really think this (as well as similar ideas for beaming power
>to Earth from solar-collector satellites) is extremely dangerous.
>What is to keep someone (even a poor little bird) from flying
>through the beam by accident?

	Restricting the airspace and having a radio beacon should suffice.
It's not as though people would be flying through a death ray. Even in the
case of SPS, the energy densities are comparable to sunlight. Powersats are
pretty much a dead issue until the Soviets or Japanese build one, however.
DOE and others did the basic research and then threw the idea away long ago
(well, late 70's. That's long ago when you're 24) for political and economic
rather than scientific reasons (i.e. SPS had no constituency in Congress, and
the O($100G) projected costs found no friends).

	Birds can take their chances. We haven't stopped flying because the
occasional bird gets sucked into an engine. I suspect they will quickly learn
to avoid beams when they start feeling warm.

    -- Jon Leech (jon@csvax.caltech.edu || ...seismo!cit-vax!jon)
    Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group
    __@/