[sci.space] space news from Aug 10 AW&ST

[There is a lot of news in this issue.]

[Second recommendation for space magazines has to be, I think, Space World.
It used to be okay but ho-hum; it has gotten significantly more interesting
of late, perhaps partly as a side effect of the NSI/L5 merger.  Aimed at
relative beginners, no heavily technical stuff.  One of the more interesting
features is interviews with interesting people; summer readers may recall me
quoting large chunks out of one of those.

The way to get Space World is to join the National Space Society, which is
what was formed when the National Space Institute and the L5 Society merged.
This is a Good Thing and you should join anyway.  NSI was always a fairly
quiet group that didn't do a whole lot in my opinion (except for their
Shuttle launch tours, which were pretty good; I saw 41C go up that way).
L5 was different, it being credited with little things like scuttling the
infamous Moon Treaty, saving Galileo, making a key difference in getting
the replacement orbiter funded, etc.  The publications weren't all that
great but the results were fairly impressive; being the only space-activist
group that the US State Department hated was a distinction of sorts... :-)
(State backed the Moon Treaty, as did almost everyone else who cared except
L5.  Score:  L5 and mankind 1, State Dept 0.)  It is a little too early to
tell what will come of the merger, but there are hopeful signs.

NSS (the name is likely to change, many people dislike it) is at PO Box 7535,
Ben Franklin Station, Washington DC 20044.  Regular dues are $30/year, with
a reduction to $18 for people under 22 or over 64, I believe.  (I'm a life
member and proud of it; unfortunately, you can't buy a life membership any
more -- it was a casualty of the merger.)]

Signs that the White House may be waking up to the state of the US space
program.  AW&ST pats itself on the back for making noise about it, which
apparently got read at fairly high levels.

USAF Space Division passes control of the DMSP military metsat to USAF
Space Command [you can't tell the players without a program...] since it
is now operational in orbit.

[This should be old news to readers of this group by now.] Proxmire is
going to try to kill the space station.  Garn will lead the defense.

Rep. Nelson:  "NASA is awash in so much uncertainty due to a lack of
direction from the White House [that] decisions are being made by
indecision."

USAF completes first conversion of Titan 2 ICBM to booster, rolled out
of Martin Marietta plant on Aug 3 for shipment to Vandenberg.  MM has
a contract to convert 7 more, with an option for another 5; there are
about 50 of the missiles in mothballs since their recent deactivation.
Air Force Sec. Aldridge predicts that the program will go beyond the
existing contracts.  The missiles are in good shape.  Changes to make
them into launchers are mostly electronics upgrades and modifications
to the nose to take a payload instead of a warhead.  Payload is 4800
pounds into low orbit.  Modifications to Vandenberg pad SLC4-West got
underway after the launch of the last Titan 3B in February; the Titan
2s are a bit shorter.

[Micro-editorial:  This is what the USAF should have done all along, and
in particular this is what they should have done if they were really
concerned about getting the Navstars launched.  Instead, for Navstar, they
held a lengthy competition and then bought, "off the shelf", a version of
Delta that does not exist yet and has never flown!  Can you say "subsidy"?
Can you say "pork barrel"?  And they complain about Ariane subsidies.]

Hopeful signs for space science at NASA.  DoD is moving things off the
shuttle as much as possible, which is good news for science payloads.
NASA is trying to go back to building backup spacecraft for planetary
missions.  [About time!!  The lack of a Galileo backup in particular is
a national scandal, given a complicated, ambitious mission and a new
and (in my opinion) risky spacecraft design.]  Funding for a Mars Observer
backup is in FY88 authorizations; if the primary spacecraft works, the
backup may fly as the Lunar Polar Orbiter.  [ABOUT TIME!!  We are long
overdue for a lunar-polar mission.  I also applaud the idea that backups
which aren't needed as backups should be *flown*, perhaps on a different
mission, rather than being donated to the Smithsonian.  If you think the
Viking and the Voyager in the Smithsonian look realistic, it's because
they *are* real.]  Lennard Fisk, new Space Science & Applications head
at NASA, is pushing for long-term continuity in several ways:

	- One Scout-class science satellite per year, aimed at getting
	small research groups active again in flight programs.

	- Regular Explorer-class missions, starting with Cosmic Background
	Explorer in 1989, Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer in 1990, and then
	X-Ray Timing Explorer in 1992.

	- Continuation of the "great observatories" program.  "We are the
	only nation capable of doing such great space observatories -- it's
	time we got on with the rest of them."  The Hubble telescope is
	ready to fly and the Gamma Ray Observatory is in the works, but the
	others are still stalled; in particular, the Advanced X-Ray Astro-
	physics Facility is high on the list for an FY89 new start but has
	competition from the planetary program.

	- Getting planetary missions going again.  Comet Rendezvous and
	Asteroid Flyby is AXAF's competition.  The CRAF backup could turn
	into the Cassini Saturn mission.  [Pity there won't be a Galileo-
	Saturn mission, since the chance to build a second Galileo has
	been lost.  There were hopes for it; some of the Galileo software
	has a Jupiter/Saturn bit in it.]

	- Earth Observing System, aka the US polar platform, probably a
	FY91 new start for launch circa 1995.

Fisk is trying to sort out who gets priority if AXAF and CRAF collide for
FY89 funding.  AXAF may have a slight edge, because CRAF could delay a
year (by picking another comet) while AXAF's optics development is a tricky
long-lead item; AXAF would also start out cheaper.

Soviets activate Cosmos 1870 polar platform.

Cosmos 1871, launched Aug 1, seems to be a Soviet equivalent to the early
Big Bird spysats, based on its orbit and early activity.

Progress 31 tanker docks with Mir.

China orbits recoverable imaging satellite carrying French experimental
payload piggyback.

Japan decides to develop three new advanced spacecraft:  ADEOS (Advanced
Earth Observation Satellite), an Earth/ocean satellite for launch in 1993
on an H-2 and later refuelling and servicing in orbit; an experimental
data relay and tracking satellite for launch in 1994; and an advanced
Clarke-orbit metsat to fly in 1993.

Japanese controllers regain full control of MOS-1 after an Earth-sensor
malfunction forces it into a backup attitude-control mode.  Details still
under investigation.

US plans $1G five-year program looking at lightweight-satellite technology.
DoD is semi-interested in the idea of lots of small satellites rather than
a few big ones, since it would make overall systems much more resistant to
attack.  Some (e.g. Aldridge) are skeptical because big satellites are
needed to meet requirements, but others note that battlefield commanders would
much prefer small cheap satellites under their direct control.  DARPA is
pursuing both light-satellite technology and portable-launch-system ideas.

Morton Thiokol hot-fires the new shuttle SRB joint design for the first time.
On first inspection, looks okay.  First full-size SRB test set for Aug 26.

NASA formally awards contract for Challenger replacement, orbiter OV-105.
It will be essentially a duplicate of Atlantis and Discovery, with minor
upgrades that will also be retrofitted to them.  The existing structural
spares will be used; discussion on building a new set of structural spares
will start soon.

Picture of the shoulder patch for STS-26, quite a pretty one.

NASA to start shuttle-derived heavylift booster studies despite USAF
opposition.  Now called "Shuttle-C", aimed at operational status by
mid-1993 for space station assembly.  Payload 100-150,000 lbs into low
orbit, availability rather sooner than the USAF's ALS.

Martin Marietta and Amroc sign agreements with USAF for use of government
launch facilities.  McDonnell-Douglas and General Dynamics to follow.  The
insurance situation remains less than ideal.  Also, the agreements contain
pious platitudes but no real guarantees about preemption by government
missions, and the government is not liable for preemption costs.

Roy Gibson, director of British National Space Centre, resigns in protest
at Thatcher decision not to boost space funding.  European sources comment:
"This could not have come at a worse time...".  Outlook for Hotol cited as
"extremely grim"; other ESA and British projects endangered.

Inmarsat chooses Delta for an Inmarsat 2 launch in late 1989.

NASA is looking at the problems of transporting space station modules and
related large payloads.  They are too big for ground transport, and water
transport has a lot of problems.  Air transport is preferred for several
reasons, but the aircraft aren't up to it.  The NASA Super Guppy has
troublesome weight limits and in any case is about to be retired; it would
need massive overhauling to stay in service.  The USAF is modifying two
C-5As to accommodate shuttle-payload-bay-sized loads, but there is no
formal agreement for NASA use of these aircraft.

Aerojet tests rocket engine, originally meant for commercial-space uses,
that might go into the new USAF upper stage.  It's a leftover from a Ford
Aerospace project called "Transtar" for shuttle-to-geosynch transport,
and has been funded privately since Transtar's cancellation, with an eye
on government use.

JPL is working on improving Voyager 2's attitude-control software for the
Neptune encounter; low light levels will again require moving the whole
spacecraft to compensate for Voyager's motion during long exposures.  Also
under study is the exact encounter trajectory.  There are no more gravity-
boost constraints since Neptune is Voyager's last stop.  The Polar Crown
trajectory plan takes Voyager very low over Neptune's north pole and then
past Triton.  There are some worries, though:  Polar Crown passes very
close to a possible Neptunian ring, a strong Neptunian magnetic field
(considered unlikely) could cause trouble during the north-pole pass, and
getting too close to the atmosphere could cause heating, drag, or arcing
in high-voltage circuitry.  The encounter trajectory could be changed
up to a few weeks before encounter (August 1989), but a late change would
mess up encounter planning.

Soviet radar-equipped ice-tracking satellites have proven valuable enough
that the USSR will establish a permanent ocean-monitoring satellite system.

FCC receives three filings for permission to operate a mobile satellite
system.  This is two more than they hoped for; attempts to form a single
consortium, to avoid protracted spectrum-space battles, have failed so far.

McDonnell-Douglas studies larger versions of the PAM upper stages, for use
with large comsats launched on Titan or Long March.

Teledyne Brown exhibits reusable-spaceplane model at Paris airshow.  A 747
would carry it to altitude.  Engines would be four RL-10 Centaur engines
and one Shuttle main engine.  Payload would be 3500 kg, with increases
possible later.  The 747 would need some sort of thrust augmentation,
either hydrogen duct-burning in its engines [Dani Eder says that Boeing
believes this is practical; it more than doubles the thrust, and doesn't
hurt the engines if it's brief] or else replacement of the engines with
eight afterburning fighter engines [world's hottest 747!].

Aerospace Forum article from David Morrison, chairman of the SSEC, arguing
for ongoing commitments to planetary exploration.  "The primary difficulties
are not technical; they simply reflect lack of commitment and funds.  Like
other space science areas within NASA, the planetary program is never
treated as a continuing activity.  Individual missions are proposed and
perhaps eventually approved.  Meanwhile, as previous missions are completed
their funding is terminated automatically.  Continuity and efficiency are
lost.  Without an infusion of new starts, science at NASA is always in a
going-out-of-business mode... The US cannot regain international leadership
in planetary exploration without a specific commitment and well-understood
long-range objectives...  Business as usual -- meaning an annual new-start
competition between disciplines within a highly constrained NASA space
science budget -- is likely to result in further frustration and erosion
of the field..."

Langley experiments with using optical disks to distribute satellite data
to researchers.
--
"There's a lot more to do in space   |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
than sending people to Mars." --Bova | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

wex@milano.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <8644@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> ... backups which aren't needed as backups should be *flown*,
> perhaps on a different mission, rather than being donated to the
> Smithsonian.  If you think the Viking and the Voyager in the
> Smithsonian look realistic, it's because they *are* real.

I don't disagree with Henry, just thought some readers might not know
these facts (courtesy of NPR's All Things Considered):

    Smithsonian Air & Space museum is the most popular museum in the
    world, based on visitors/year count;

    All exhibits in the A&S museum are in *working order*.  It's one
    of their conditions for accepting an exhibit.  This means that
    everything, from the Spirit of St. Louis to the X-15, is flyable
    today.

    The next big item to be added to the museum's inventory will be
    the Enola Gay (the B29 that dropped "the bomb").  It is currently
    being reconditioned to get it back into working order.  Expected
    rollout is December of this year (in time for the Christmas/New
    Year's rush).

I plan on being there around New Year's to see that baby for myself.

--
Alan Wexelblat
ARPA: WEX@MCC.COM

Real computer scientists don't program in assembler.  They don't write
in anything less portable than a number two pencil.

alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) (09/24/87)

In article <8644@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
 > [...]  I also applaud the idea that backups
 >which aren't needed as backups should be *flown*, perhaps on a different
 >mission, rather than being donated to the Smithsonian.  If you think the
 >Viking and the Voyager in the Smithsonian look realistic, it's because
 >they *are* real.]

    Yeah!  If the Smithsonian really wants them for museum pieces,
let them finance an expedition to go out and retrieve them *after*
the vehicles have flown their intended (or backup) missions.
    Heh heh.
--
 Alastair JW Mayer     BIX: al
                      UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!alastair

 "What we really need is a good 5-cent/gram launch vehicle."

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (09/27/87)

In article <182@geovision.UUCP> alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) writes:
> In article <8644@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>  > [...]  I also applaud the idea that backups
>  >which aren't needed as backups should be *flown*, perhaps on a different
>  >mission, rather than being donated to the Smithsonian.  If you think the
>  >Viking and the Voyager in the Smithsonian look realistic, it's because
>  >they *are* real.]
>
>     Yeah!  If the Smithsonian really wants them for museum pieces,
> let them finance an expedition to go out and retrieve them *after*
> the vehicles have flown their intended (or backup) missions.
>     Heh heh.

Come on - the Smithsonian takes what they are given - they don't exactly
wander around NASA looking mission capable hardware to carry off.  Now
if NASA was to go off and to recover some nice historic space or even
lunar debris, I'm sure the Smithsonian would love to put it on display.
Unfortunatly, I suspect all the well known "historic" satellites have
long since reentered.  Anyone want to start a pool on the first manned
mission to geo-synchronous orbit?

BTW, has anyone ever seen a fairly complete list of the disposition of
the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo capsules, leaving what constitutes a "real"
capsule and open issue?

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

karn@faline.UUCP (09/28/87)

> Now
> if NASA was to go off and to recover some nice historic space or even
> lunar debris, I'm sure the Smithsonian would love to put it on display.

Among the items on display at the Air & Space Museum:

The Apollo 11 command module
the faulty electronics box removed from Solar Max
the TV camera from Surveyor III, removed during the Apollo 12 mission
moon rocks

Phil

john@frog.UUCP (09/29/87)

In article <5260@milano.UUCP>, wex@milano.UUCP writes:
> In article <8644@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> > ... backups which aren't needed as backups should be *flown*,
> I don't disagree with Henry, just thought some readers might not know
> these facts (courtesy of NPR's All Things Considered):...
>     All exhibits in the A&S museum are in *working order*.  It's one
>     of their conditions for accepting an exhibit.

I think this statement must be a tad strong:  I don't think I'd want to
fly in the Apollo capsule that they had on display, and I think it would
be *real hard* to put it back in working order.

On the other hand, it WAS in working order when it went up :-).

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
		-- Johnny Hart