[sci.space] spy satellites, eavesdropping

bird@kksys.UUCP (0000-Mike Bird) (01/31/88)

In article <22782@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>Question: Is it possible to pick up human voices from space,
>	  using satellites? I don't have the technical background
>	  to judge such questions.
>       -Tom
>	tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu

If you use an optical device, like a laser, to bounce off of windows,
like in the construction article last year in Radio-Electronics, you
can listen to conversations.

If you mount the laser and receiver in a satellite, and used the
technique I read something about in Scientific American last year on
correcting for atmospheric haze, you might be able to listen from a
satellite.  However, I don't think these techniques are reliable, or
are practical at the current state of the art.  However, in 50 years
or so....

Mike Bird (These opinions are mine, dammit!)   Mail paths:  bird@kksys.UUCP -or-
Void where prohibited by law.                       ...rutgers!meccts!kksys!bird