[sci.space] Shuttle-launched satellites considered unreliable?

dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) (01/28/88)

An article in "Electronics Australia" Jan 88 talks about Aussat 3, and
starts off with saying that Aussat 3 was launched by Arianespace, as
distinct from the previous two which were shuttle-launched.

Then follows this statement:  "The choice of Arianespace followed the
consideration of various economic factors, including the longer life
expectancy of a rocket-launched satellite compared with that of a
shuttle-deployed satellite."

Forgive me if this has been hashed over before, but that statement
does sound a little odd.  Are shuttle-deployed satellites really less
reliable than rocket-launched ones?  How come?

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)      ACS:  dave@stcns3.stc.OZ.AU
STC Pty Ltd                 ARPA: dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET

> ... Are shuttle-deployed satellites really less
> reliable than rocket-launched ones?  How come?

Note that the original quote said "longer life expectancy", not "higher
reliability".  Barring equipment failures, the lifetime of a comsat is
usually limited by its supply of maneuvering fuel.  (No, it doesn't just
stay where it's put, not in the presence of perturbing factors like the
Moon's gravity and Earth's non-spherical shape.)  Other things being
equal -- they often aren't -- Ariane puts a satellite closer to its final
orbit, meaning that less fuel is needed to get it up there and hence more
is left for station-keeping.  This is not because Ariane is somehow better,
but because Kourou is much nearer the equator than Kennedy.  A satellite
launched from Kennedy starts out in an orbit inclined twenty-odd degrees
to the equator, while launch from Kourou ends up in essentially the plane
of the equator.  Clarke orbit, the destination for most comsats, is in the
plane of the equator.  Plane changes take a lot of fuel.

I don't know for *certain* that this is the underlying reasoning, but I'd
be surprised if it was anything else.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/04/88)

> Are shuttle-deployed satellites really less
> reliable than rocket-launched ones?  How come?

Reliability is not the issue. It's station-keeping fuel, at least for
geostationary satellites.  Most satellites run out of fuel before their
components fail and must be deliberately switched off lest they
interfere with other satellites operating on the same frequencies from
other orbital locations.

Ariane is launched from Kourou, French Guiana, about 5.5 degrees north
of the equator. Cape Canaveral is at about 28.5 degrees north latitude.
Spacecraft launched on Ariane therefore require smaller kick motors to
reach geostationary orbit from the launcher transfer orbit than do
spacecraft launched from the Cape, and this translates directly into
extra mass and volume for holding stationkeeping fuel.

Another factor unique to Shuttle-launched satellites is the 45-minute
(1/2 orbit) coast phase between shuttle deploy and PAM firing, intended
to allow the shuttle to separate to a "safe" distance. During this
period the spacecraft must continue spinning stably about its
longitudinal axis. Physics says that bodies instead "prefer" to spin
about the axis having the greatest moment of inertia (i.e., in a flat
spin). When you combine this tendency with the gravity-gradient and drag
perturbations due to the low altitude, the spacecraft must expend a
nontrivial amount of hydrazine to hold attitude, fuel that will not be
available later for stationkeeping.

When you start looking at factors like these, you realize just how
ill-suited the Shuttle is for launching satellites, and wonder just how
anybody got the idea to make it our sole launcher.  Some of us were even
saying this BEFORE Challenger...

Phil

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (02/04/88)

In article <217@stcns3.stc.oz> dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) writes:

>Then follows this statement:  "The choice of Arianespace followed the
>consideration of various economic factors, including the longer life
>expectancy of a rocket-launched satellite compared with that of a
>shuttle-deployed satellite."
>
>Forgive me if this has been hashed over before, but that statement
>does sound a little odd.  Are shuttle-deployed satellites really less
>reliable than rocket-launched ones?  How come?

While not knowing all the facts, I think that that remark is in reference
to Shuttle launched rockets being launched in an orbit that typically
requires more fuel to reach Clark orbit from. The more fuel used by the
satellite means less fuel for station keeping when it is in it's final
position. I believe that the majority of non functioning satellites in
orbit became non functional because of lack of fuel to maintain their
orbital positions and attitude.

Just as an aside, the shuttle was to have tried in orbit refueling of
satellites to revitalize older satellites. I don't recall whether it occured
or not.
--
	Kurt W. Allen
	3M Center