[sci.space] Saturn V takeoff

hogg@csri.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (02/05/88)

In article <7049@ihlpa.ATT.COM> animal@ihlpa.ATT.COM (D. Starr) writes:
>A while ago, somebody asked how long it took a Saturn V to clear the launch
>tower.  I had an opportunity to time it just the other night when the PBS
>series "Television" re-ran the original network feed from the Apollo 11
>launch.  From this program it looks like about six and a half seconds pass
>between the word "liftoff" and the first stage fins passing the crane at
>the top of the tower, a distance of about 400 feet...

According to the book ``Project Apollo'' (published 1971, original edition
1969) the time to clear the tower is greater than 20 seconds.  That may
well be starting from ignition; the context concerned the mechanism by which
the upper service booms retract into their shields before five F-1 engines
at full power come past.

Let's see... at 15 tons/sec, that's about 300 tons of fuel to go the first
~450 feet.  Working this out in my head, the initial milage is order-of-
magnitude 200,000,000 l/100km.  Of course, it gets better if you average
over the whole trip...
--
John Hogg			   | hogg@csri.toronto.{edu,cdn}
Computer Systems Research Institute| uunet!csri.toronto.edu!hogg

dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) (02/06/88)

In article <1988Feb4.164741.6228@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, hogg@csri.toronto.edu (John Hogg) writes:
> In article <7049@ihlpa.ATT.COM> animal@ihlpa.ATT.COM (D. Starr) writes:
> >A while ago, somebody asked how long it took a Saturn V to clear the launch
> >tower.  I had an opportunity to time it just the other night when the PBS
> >series "Television" re-ran the original network feed from the Apollo 11
> >launch.  From this program it looks like about six and a half seconds pass
> >between the word "liftoff" and the first stage fins passing the crane at
> >the top of the tower, a distance of about 400 feet...
>
> According to the book ``Project Apollo'' (published 1971, original edition
> 1969) the time to clear the tower is greater than 20 seconds.  That may
> well be starting from ignition; the context concerned the mechanism by which
> the upper service booms retract into their shields before five F-1 engines
> at full power come past.

My recollection is that control passed from Kennedy to Johnson (hmmm...
must be a message in there somewhere) at T+13 seconds, that being the
time it took to clear the tower.  F-1 ignition was supposed to be at
T-8.9 seconds.

		David Smith