[sci.space] Payload of shuttle flight directly after last Challenger.

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/02/88)

According to activist and musician Jello Biafra, the next flight of the
shuttle was to carring a payload of 46 pounds of *plutonium*.
He claims this is from _The_Nation_ and _Common_Cause_, who got
it from NASA, who "conveniently forgot to tell us about it."

What I'd like to know is:

1. Is this correct?

2. If so, I thought there was a law or treaty or something that we're
   involved with that prohibits the launching of radioactive material
   into space; and that this treaty was the reason we don't put nuclear
   reactors into space.

Can anyone confirm/deny/refuse to comment on any of this?

  [ FYI:  J. Biafra's talk "Why I'm Glad the Space Shuttle Blew Up" is
   about 3 and half minutes long, and has to do with the 46 pounds of
   plutonium slated for the next shuttle mission.  It can be found
   on _No_More_Cocoons_ (Alternative Tentacles virus 59) -- a double
   speach-only album by Jello Biafra; and also on The Birth of
   Tragedy Magazine's  _Fear_Power_God_ Spoken Word/Graven Image
   Compilation album (CFY Records). ]
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Just another journalist with too much computing power.| 'Hey, watch me ollie

kit@athena.mit.edu (Chris D. Peterson) (02/02/88)

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but here is a bit of information
on the subject,  There are nuclear "reactors" in space.  In fact the upcomming
Galileo mission to Jupiter uses nuclear fission for its power systems.  There
is a good reason for this, as solar energy near Jupiter is pretty weak, and
nothing else comes near the weight requirements for such a long mission.

The fact is that when you are dealing with new things and new technology
there is always some risk, it is a fact of life so live with it.  Nothing
in this world is free.

						Chris Peterson
						Project Athena
						Systems Development

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/03/88)

In article <347@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

> According to activist and musician Jello Biafra, the next flight of the
> shuttle was to carring a payload of 46 pounds of *plutonium*.
>
> 2. If so, I thought there was a law or treaty or something that we're
>    involved with that prohibits the launching of radioactive material
>    into space; and that this treaty was the reason we don't put nuclear
>    reactors into space.

There are any number of satellites zooming overhead with radioactive
power components.  Well, not *that* many, but several with very
large power requirements, such as the Soviet RORSATs, which are
radar platforms for oceanic surveys...which is another way of saying
ones that look for ships and shallow-running subs.  The radars on
board need lots of power and solar cells aren't quite up to it.

The treaty you're thinking of bans weapons of mass destruction
from space, not the same thing as a power plant, exactly.  The main
drawback with these RORSATs and other nuclear-powered birds is that
sometimes they came down in places like Canada.

	seh

> According to activist and musician Jello Biafra, the next flight of the
> shuttle was to carring a payload of 46 pounds of *plutonium*.

He's misinformed in several ways.  For one thing, it wasn't the next
flight; two flights circa June were scheduled to carry isotope-powered
planetary probes (Ulysses and Galileo).  For another thing, he's using that
great scare word "plutonium" without mentioning that it would go up in
an armored canister designed to survive a launch failure.  (There have
been some doubts expressed about whether the canisters are in fact tough
enough for all possible cases, but they definitely would have survived
the Challenger disaster.)  This is not just speculation:  such a canister
went into the ocean some years ago after an expendable launcher failed;
it was recovered intact, wiped clean, and re-used.

> 2. If so, I thought there was a law or treaty or something that we're
>    involved with that prohibits the launching of radioactive material
>    into space; and that this treaty was the reason we don't put nuclear
>    reactors into space.

Nope.  There is no such treaty.  In any case it would probably exempt
armored isotope canisters, because there is just no other satisfactory
way of powering outer-planet missions -- there isn't enough sunlight out
there for solar panels.

The US has put one reactor into space, although not recently.  The Soviet
Union routinely uses small reactors to power its military radarsats.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (02/04/88)

in article <347@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) says:
> 2. If so, I thought there was a law or treaty or something that we're
>    involved with that prohibits the launching of radioactive material
>    into space; and that this treaty was the reason we don't put nuclear
>    reactors into space.

There is a treaty banning nuclear WEAPONS in space. But there is no treaty
banning nuclear REACTORS in space. Remember that Russian satellite that broke
up over Canada a few years back, spewing low-level radiation over a wide
swath? It was powered by a nuclear reactor....

Your friend the nut case might have been thinking about the SDI payload that
was recently sent up on a Delta(?) rocket... it was originally scheduled for
the shuttle, back when the shuttle was planned to fly, well, now.

--
Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET     Asimov Cocktail,n., A verbal bomb
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg              detonated by the mention of any

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/06/88)

In article <3212@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:

> There is a treaty banning nuclear WEAPONS in space. But there is no treaty
> banning nuclear REACTORS in space. Remember that Russian satellite that broke
> up over Canada a few years back, spewing low-level radiation over a wide
> swath? It was powered by a nuclear reactor....

Ok, so that's it.  No nuclear weapons, but nuclear reactors are just fine.
If we're allowed to launch reactors into space, why not launch the waste,
too?  The 'what-if-it-blows-up?' answer could be applied to the launch
of the reactor as well....

> Your friend the nut case might have been thinking about the SDI payload that
> was recently sent up on a Delta(?) rocket... it was originally scheduled for
> the shuttle, back when the shuttle was planned to fly, well, now.

My 'friend the nut case' has a very good point.  What if the rocket/shuttle
/whatever that's carrying 46 pounds of plutonium goes blooie in lower
atmosphere?  You gonna be ready to live inside for the next few years?
I'm not.  I'd much rather spend money getting us a base on the moon,
and just mine/manufacture all the reactor fuel there..  Where
there *aren't* 5 billion people, at least 3 billion of which are just
minding their own buisiness.

> Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET     Asimov Cocktail,n., A verbal bomb
> {cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg              detonated by the mention of any
> Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191              subject, resulting in an explosion
> Lafayette, LA 70509                    of at least 5,000 words.

Hey, do you attend the University of Slow Learners, by any chance??      :-)
(I used to live in La. too.... get out of the state while you still can! :-)
--
"Occult symbols include ... the 'peace' symbol and the Jewish 'Star of David'"
   -- From the Back In Control Handbook

bird@kksys.UUCP (0000-Mike Bird) (02/06/88)

In article <1988Feb3.133415.12432@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>  [stuff deleted ] ... there is just no other satisfactory
>way of powering outer-planet missions -- there isn't enough sunlight out
>there for solar panels.
>The US has put one reactor into space, although not recently.  The Soviet
>Union routinely uses small reactors to power its military radarsats.
>Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

I was under the impression that the experiment packages left up on the
moon by the manned Apollo shots used a small Pu-powered nuclear
reactor as their power source.  I seem to remember a small, black,
cylindrical device with radiating fins as the center imstrument
deployments.  Can anyone else confirm or deny this?
Mike Bird (These opinions are mine, dammit!)   Mail paths:  bird@kksys.UUCP -or-
Void where prohibited by law.                       ...rutgers!meccts!kksys!bird

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/07/88)

In article <2728@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> kit@athena.mit.edu (Chris D. Peterson) writes:
>In fact the upcomming
>Galileo mission to Jupiter uses nuclear fission for its power systems.

The power system for Galileo does NOT use fission - at least, not in the
sense that is implied when you say "reactor".  There is no chain reaction
involved - the power is generated by thermovoltaic devices driven by the
heat of Plutonium's natural breakdown processes.  While this is, technically,
a fission process, it's not one which requires any external control, and
not one which poses any particular danger - the Pu is sealed inside VERY
strong armored capsules, and the chance of it being released into the
environment is minuscule.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (02/08/88)

in article <365@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) says:
> My 'friend the nut case' has a very good point.  What if the rocket/shuttle
> /whatever that's carrying 46 pounds of plutonium goes blooie in lower
> atmosphere?  You gonna be ready to live inside for the next few years?
  46 pounds of plutonium might irradiate a stretch of ocean pretty badly, but
not much worse. It won't explode. You need very high pressures to compress
plutonium to critical mass, and a shuttle explosion would tend to expand
outwards (now you know why atomic bombs have heavy cases?). Even if it did
explode, the global effects would be no worse than atmospheric testing in the
40's and 50's...

> I'm not.  I'd much rather spend money getting us a base on the moon,
> and just mine/manufacture all the reactor fuel there..
  The moon, like most other places in the solar system, is very short on
fissionables. Be difficult to mine anything there in reasonable quantities.
The moon doesn't have the seismic and tidal activities that have concentrated
such materials here on Earth. There's little difference between carrying 46
pounds of plutonium and 4 tons of raw uranium ore, risk-wise, besides the
costs involved... so processing it on the moon would be no help, either.

> Hey, do you attend the University of Slow Learners, by any chance??      :-)
No no, you got it all wrong! That's "U Stand in Line"! :-)
> (I used to live in La. too.... get out of the state while you still can! :-)
Believe me, I don't intend to hang around here one moment more than I have
to... no smiley there.

Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET     Asimov Cocktail,n., A verbal bomb
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg              detonated by the mention of any
Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191              subject, resulting in an explosion
Lafayette, LA 70509                    of at least 5,000 words.

> ...It won't explode. You need very high pressures to compress
> plutonium to critical mass...

Besides which it is the wrong isotope anyway, and CANNOT explode.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

> I was under the impression that the experiment packages left up on the
> moon by the manned Apollo shots used a small Pu-powered nuclear
> reactor as their power source.  I seem to remember a small, black,
> cylindrical device with radiating fins as the center imstrument
> deployments.  Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Sigh.  I guess I had better explain all this from scratch; there are
probably others with similar misunderstandings.  Everyone who isn't sure
what's going on, please listen -- I'm only gonna say this once! :-)

There are two ways of getting power from nuclear energy.  One is with a
nuclear reactor:  a complex piece of machinery that maintains a controlled
chain reaction in a suitable fissionable isotope, usually Uranium 235 but
sometimes Plutonium 239.  Non-fissionable isotopes like Uranium 238 may
be present but do not participate.  Reactors can yield very high power
outputs, but are relatively big, heavy, and complicated, and once in
operation they emit lots of radiation and have a stew of nasty isotopes
inside them.

The other way is to use the natural decay of a radioactive isotope.  To
get useful amounts of power without troublesome radiation, one picks an
isotope that decays rapidly by emitting non-penetrating radiation like
alpha and beta particles.  Plutonium 238 (note, 238, *not* 239) is one
fairly good choice.  Such isotopes do not have to be fissionable and in
fact usually aren't.  Small isotope generators can use thermoelectric
devices for converting heat to electricity, which means no moving parts.
It is difficult to get high power out of isotope generators, but they are
simple and reliable and (unlike reactors) can be built in small sizes.
It is relatively easy to package the isotope in such generators in an
armored capsule that can survive a re-entry or a launch accident; this
is routinely done, and such capsules *have* survived launch accidents.
An isotope generator is *not* a nuclear reactor.

The US has launched only one reactor, the SNAP-10A experimental reactor
of the late 60s.  The Soviets use reactors to power their military
radarsats, which need lots of power.  That is basically it for reactors
in space.

Isotope generators are used in some military satellites where the
vulnerability of solar panels is undesirable, but see their main use in
planetary missions.  The Apollo surface experiments and the Viking landers
used isotope generators to continue operations despite long periods of
darkness.  Outer-planet probes like the Voyagers and Galileo use isotope
generators because the sunlight is pretty faint out there.  The waste
heat from isotope generators can also be useful to keep equipment warm
in cold environments.
--

bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (02/10/88)

in article <365@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) says:

> Ok, so that's it.  No nuclear weapons, but nuclear reactors are just fine.
> If we're allowed to launch reactors into space, why not launch the waste,
> too?  The 'what-if-it-blows-up?' answer could be applied to the launch
> of the reactor as well....

Not really. A nuclear reactor that has not been operated is simply not that
hot. Remember, you can build a reactor out of stuff you dig out of the ground.

The high level nuclear waste produced by an operating nuclear reactor is a
whole 'nuther matter. I would not like to see operating reactors being boosted
into orbit.

> My 'friend the nut case' has a very good point.  What if the rocket/shuttle
> /whatever that's carrying 46 pounds of plutonium goes blooie in lower
> atmosphere?  You gonna be ready to live inside for the next few years?
> I'm not.

I live in Utah, I'd be very surprised if less than 46 pounds of plutonium
have been spread over the state. You see, we are the preferred fallout
path for all the above ground, and more than a few of the below ground
nuclear tests performed at the Nevada nuclear test range. The state is still
quite habitable, it doesn't even glow in the dark. There are a few
"statistical anomolies" in the cancer rate though.

Assuming a worste case accident, parts of Florida would have to be evacuated
and cleaned up. I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of the Indian River
area would be affected.

As for living inside for a couple of years, well I hope you have been very
careful in your choice of construction materials, fuels, and so forth.
If you haven't, your nice closed shelter can build up some nasty levels
of Radon. Real nice for cooking your lungs.

If you want to get upset about something real, look at the amounts
of nuclear waste put into the atmosphere every year by coal fired power
plants. Compare that to the amount released by all nuclear power plant
accidents.

You have to be careful with nuclear materials. But, you have to be reasonable
about assesing risks. The word "plutonium" has you jumping out of your skin
with fright. I'll bet the word "coal" doesn't frighten you at all. But I'll
bet that the coal industry kills more people every year than the plutonium
industry does.

			Bob Pendleton
--
Bob Pendleton @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!bpendlet

wex@banzai-inst.SW.MCC.COM (Alan Wexelblat) (02/11/88)

In article <1988Feb3.133415.12432@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> ...that great scare word "plutonium" without mentioning that it
> would go up in an armored canister designed to survive a launch
> failure.  (There have been some doubts expressed about whether the
> canisters are in fact tough enough for all possible cases, but they
> definitely would have survived the Challenger disaster.)  This is
> not just speculation:  such a canister went into the ocean some
> years ago after an expendable launcher failed; it was recovered
> intact, wiped clean, and re-used.

Er, yes and no.  Yes, the canister is designed to survive an
explosion.  Specifically, it can withstand forces up to 2,000 psi.
This is (as Henry notes) clearly enough to withstand a spashdown after
failure of an unmanned.

However, NASA tests indicate that an exploding shuttle ET might
generate forces as high as 20,000 psi.  What's particularly
troublesome are detonation-on-pad scenarios, which involve these
higher pressures.  If the cannister did explode, the resulting
shower of material might contaminate the entire space center.

The point is that while the risk is relatively low, the potential
consequences of a failure are so high that alternatives should be
given more serious consideration, including the alternative of
hardening the cannister to withstand 20,000 psi.  (Could such
shielding be jettisoned after the space probe was free-flying?)

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/15/88)

> alpha and beta particles.  Plutonium 238 (note, 238, *not* 239) is one
> fairly good choice.  Such isotopes do not have to be fissionable and in
> fact usually aren't.  Small isotope generators can use thermoelectric

From everything I've read about plutonium, all of its long-lived
isotopes are fissionable.  Pu-239 is favored for bombs because it is
easy to make, and because its spontaneous fission rate is low enough to
make bomb design simpler. (It was the high neutron levels caused by
Pu-240 contamination that ruled out use of the gun-type bomb with
plutonium during the Manhattan Project; implosion brings the fissionable
material together faster than a gun can, avoiding a fizzle).

Pu-238 is used in RTGs because its much shorter half-life (86 years vs
24,400 years for Pu-239) gives much more power per unit weight.

It is the lack of a nonfissionable isotope of plutonium that would make
the controlled destruction of the superpowers' plutonium stocks so
difficult.  Enriched uranium, on the other hand, can be effectively
"denatured" by mixing it with depleted uranium (U-238).

Refs: The Making of the Atomic Bomb, by Richard Rhodes; Stopping the
Production of Fissile Materials for Weapons, by von Hippel et al,
Scientific American, September 1985.  Also see the CRC Handbook.

Phil

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/24/88)

In article <713@esunix.UUCP>, bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:

> You have to be careful with nuclear materials. But, you have to be reasonable
> about assesing risks. The word "plutonium" has you jumping out of your skin
> with fright. I'll bet the word "coal" doesn't frighten you at all. But I'll
> bet that the coal industry kills more people every year than the plutonium
> industry does.

My worries about the plutonium (at the time of the posting) were
directly related to my misunderstanding of the isotope generaters and
all the stuff that I've received so much email about...

I am worried about coal.  I think coal and hydrocarbon fuels in general
are a really bad idea.  I also wish solar powered everything would become
economical...  I've read a lot of stuff on alternative energy that leads
me to beleive it'd be quite easy.

Solar powered launch vehicles, anyone?

> 			Bob Pendleton
> Bob Pendleton @ Evans & Sutherland
> UUCP Address:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!bpendlet
> Alternate:     {ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!esunix!bpendlet
>         I am solely responsible for what I say.
--
Just say NO to skate harassment. | Just another journalist with too much
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?        | computing power..

hansen@mips.COM (Craig Hansen) (02/26/88)

In article <442@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
> I am worried about coal.  I think coal and hydrocarbon fuels in general
> are a really bad idea.  I also wish solar powered everything would become
> economical...  I've read a lot of stuff on alternative energy that leads
> me to beleive it'd be quite easy.

We're getting a little off the subject, here, but don't forget that
there are highly toxic materials in solar cells, too. Solar-power
technology hasn't advanced much in the last ten years, and doesn't
really promise to advance much in the next ten years - if it becomes
"more economical" it is only because other sources are becoming "less
economical." Why you would _wish_ that is beyond my comprehension.

--
Craig Hansen
Manager, Architecture Development

> Solar powered launch vehicles, anyone?

Sure:  a solar power satellite is the obvious power supply for a big laser
launcher!