[sci.space] Naming the space station.

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (05/17/88)

Space station

S Y N T H E S I S

(ahhhh .... just right)

wooding@daisy.UUCP (Mike Wooding) (05/18/88)

 Perhaps ASIMOV:
 	Astronauts Space Inhabitable Module for Orbiting Vacations.

 m wooding

Daniel_C_Anderson@cup.portal.com (05/18/88)

I second  motion to name a Space Station after the late and
sincerely lamented Robert A. Heinlein.
Anyone who cares at all about space probably cut their (<--non-sexist
'third person indefinite' pronoun) teeth on Heinlein's stories.

(-:"My opinions should be those of my employers":-)

zaphod@diku.dk (Ole D. M. Lennert) (05/18/88)

Naming the space station:

How about      Arthur C. Clarke ?

jlg@beta.UUCP (Jim Giles) (05/20/88)

How about 'Ricercar' (pronounced reach-er-car).  It is the English
word for the musical form now called a fugue (a Latin word- through
Italian).  The roots of the word are the same as for 'research', in
fact one of the meanings of the word used to be 'to seek'.

This seems to capture the flavor that the space program should work
for - both artistic and scientific.

cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (05/21/88)

How about "Fred"?

Yeah.

Fred the Space Station.

I like that.

			--Net.Rabbit

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (05/23/88)

In article <5568@cup.portal.com> Daniel_C_Anderson@cup.portal.com writes:
>I second  motion to name a Space Station after the late and
>sincerely lamented Robert A. Heinlein.

If the space-station was named the "Robert A. Heinlein", would it
be called "Bob" for short??

By the way, the list of names I posted is the working list by the
naming committee. They are not accepting any new names as of last week.

"Roger Houston, Space Station Bob 1, copies. . . ."

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"Use an Atari, go to jail!"

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (05/26/88)

In article <12487@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
> How about "Fred"?
>
> 			--Net.Rabbit

Count mine as another vote for

Space Station Fred

--
Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP: ihnp4!umn-cs!hall!pai!erc   | having

gckaplan@soup.ssl.berkeley.edu (George Kaplan) (06/10/88)

Several people around here have been mispronouncing Mir to rhyme with
'myrrh'.  Maybe we should call our station 'Frankincense' :-)

(Actually, Mir sounds more like 'mere')

- George Kaplan			gckaplan@ssl.berkeley.edu
				gckaplan@sag2.ssl.berkeley.edu
				..!ucbvax!ucbssl!sag2!gckaplan