[sci.space] Recycling Pershing-II's

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <8712071321.aa27796@note.nsf.gov> fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>Today's Washington Post [Monday] discusses INF missile disposal.
>
>"One of the INF treaty's most unorthodox provisions will
>unfold at [Kapustin Yar], 660 miles SE of Moscos, within
>a few days after the pact takes effect, when the Soviets
>begin launching unarmed SS12 and SS20 missiles eastward
>virtually around-the-clock just to get rid of them.
>"Similar launches of .. Pershing II missiles .. over the
>Atlantic are contemplated if studies show this is the
>cheapest, safest way to destroy the $6M rockets within
>the treaty's three-year deadline.
It is sad to see the waste of perfect usable (with warhead removed :-)   )
high altitude launch vehicles.  A number of Nike-Zeus, Hercules, etc. missiles
of the fifties and sixties were sold or donated to research organizations for
high altitude research studies.  It is too bad the same could not be done with
these.  Such missiles would be ideal to study ozone depletion, for example, if
fitted with the proper instrumentation for a payload.  Perhaps a number of such
missiles could be donated to the international research community as an
alternate (and beneficial) means of destruction.

I am sure that both sides do not want to give out secrets of their guidance
systems, however.  I feel that this is a minor problem that could be resolved
easily with a little diplomacy.  If you agree, call your representatives in
Washington.  Why waste many millions in a big fireworks display when you can
find a good peaceful use?
                                          Barry
 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Dr. Barry L. Ornitz   UUCP:...!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

bob@its63b.ed.ac.uk (ERCF08 Bob Gray) (06/13/88)

In article <855@esunix.UUCP> bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
>From article <8806010951.aa16990@note.nsf.gov>, by fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube):
>All Hercules employees are undergoing INF treaty training. Being
>taught how to recognize an approach by a spy, where not to talk about
>work while eating lunch, that sort of thing. One of the things they

But suppose the spies have also been on the course, they
would then know not to keep refering to people as "comrade".
They would be drinking coke instead of vodka, their party
armbands would have been left at home, and they would have
been carefully trained not to quote the sayings Lennin or Marx.

Of course, if the soviets were really clever, they could
always get a sleeping agent elected as a Senator.
Information could then be passed as slips of the tongue.

>mentioned was that one of the brain damaged Senators from the Pretty,
>Great State of Utah, gave a list of all the companies doing classified
>work in a thirthy mile radius of the Hercules inspection office to the
>local papers, who published it. Thus saving the KGB 1 to 2 years of
>effort. If he wasn't a Senator, he'd be doing time.

See what I mean...

Large numbers of :-> s should be added to the above where
appropriate.

Most of the Soviet spies who have been discovered are notable
only in just how unlikely they were to have been spies.

I don't see that the presence of a few carefully monitored
Soviet personnel is going to be much of an extra security risk.
	Bob.