[sci.space] Solar Max

mike@ames.UUCP (07/12/88)

In article <1219@thumper.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
>Remember how George ("Pinky") Nelson grabbed one of the solar
>arrays in an attempt to stop the satellite from spinning?

A interesting further note on this event. I know a woman at Lockheed who
was the chief Rockwell saftey officer on this mission. She produced the
procedures for the crew, and set at a console during the EVA. One of the
rules in BIG BLACK LETTERS was "DON'T GRAB THE ^&&%$& SOLAR PANELS WITH
YOUR HANDS!!!". The arrays had sharp edges on them and could have easily
sliced open a glove. So she passed on the the CapCom, "Don't let him touch
the panels!!". The Crippen comes on the air i think saying "Pinky, why don't
you grab the panels". Needless to say whe was weirded out by the whole thing.

Oh, by the way. The solar max mission was a demonstration flight among other
things. If we didn't have a real satillite to repair, surely a dummy would
have been flown to practice with. And wrt Phil's comment about the mission
costing more than a replacment satillite. I believe that the SMM cost around
$150 million. A replacement would likely cost more due to inflation and take
years to get on line, not to mention a dedicated shuttle mission just to
launch it. So with the experience gained, the time saved, I think it was
worth it. (not to mention the neato TV that was returned).

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Due to the Writer's Guild of Amierica strike, this signature is