[sci.space] humans vs. remote control

symon@lhotse.cs.unc.edu (James Symon) (07/13/88)

In article <1219@thumper.bellcore.com>, karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

> Your arguments represent a convincing case for versatile remote control,
> not for manned spaceflight.

The reason for putting humans in space now is to do research on humans
in space. Forget any other arguments. This one settles it once and for
all. Part of that research involves letting them do things that might
better be handled by remote control.

Why do research on humans in space? Humans WILL spread out from the
earth. If you don't believe this then you are right, the issue of
telepresence vs. human bodies is debatable. If, however, you grant
that we will not ALL stay forever on the face of the earth, your only
reasonable argument is to say that the current human guinea-
pigs-in-space should not be allowed to mess with things they might
damage.

But then we will need to provide them with dummy jobs to do as part of
the research because when we do spread out from earth we will be doing
some jobs ourselves rather than having everything done for us from
back home. Of course, as humans, the current research animals will
know that the tasks are dummies so the research results will be
questionable.  Therefore we need to let them do at least SOME
important stuff regardless of whether good remote control might do it
better.

In the case of other planets, telepresence does not provide real time
control. Then your only argument is that you can build
semi-independent robots that will perform better than humans. Not yet
I bet.

No, this is not circular. I mean that we will spread out from the
earth for reasons other than doing research on humans in space or
taking care of jobs that might better be handled by remote control.

				Jim Symon
				Rt 4 Box 443
				Chapel Hill, NC 27516
at school:

Jim Symon
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3175
					"Better get Helms on the
UUCP:  uunet!mcnc!unc!symon		 scrambler, we got incoming
UUCP: decvax!mcnc!unc!symon     	 treaties all over the screen"
Internet:symon@cs.unc.edu				- MacNelly

***Don't use "r" or my header line address***