[sci.space] space news from May 30 AW&ST

New DoC commercial-space assessment says DoD will need 119 shuttle-
equivalent launches and 10 launches/year of smaller expendables between
now and 2000.  Commercial and foreign customers will want 15-25 big
ones per year and 10 smaller per year.  NASA will want 48-60 large
expendables before 2000.  Strong growth in Navsat services like Geostar
is forecast.  Satellite imaging may be $1G/yr by 1997, most of it in
value-added image analysis.

Moscow summit expected to lead to agreement to launch space science
instruments on each other's missions.  Reagan expected to avoid endorsing
Gorbachev's joint-manned-Mars idea, since the US is still trying to figure
out what its priorities are.  Likely results of the instrument exchange
are a NASA ozone mapper on a Meteor metsat in 1990, a Soviet radio-relay
system on Mars Observer (relaying data from the Soviet Mars balloon mission
in 1994), a US-Danish X-ray telescope on a Soviet satellite in the
mid-1990s, and possibly more.  DoD, as usual, is squawking about technology
transfer.  Reagan will propose that the two countries study cooperation
in solar-system exploration.  He will refrain from endorsing missions
involving extensive hardware cooperation (e.g. Apollo-Soyuz), major
manned projects, or specific unmanned Mars missions.  [Has it occurred
to any of the brain-damaged bozos who put together this wonderful list
of non-promises that maybe the Soviets are tired of studying the notion
endlessly and would like to *do* something?!?]

The ozone mapper tentatively earmarked for the Meteor flight, a spare
from Nimbus 7, has been quietly pulled out of storage and is now being
overhauled to make it flight-ready.

Soviets give ICAO technical details on their Glonass navsat system,
offering it for international civil-aviation use.  The Leeds University
people who have been studying Glonass for several years say the data
is accurate and comprehensive.

NASA and DoC award General Dynamics a $200M contract to launch the next
three US Clarke-orbit metsats, the first in 1990.  This is the first
actual final contract for commercial launch services from the US government.

First Ariane 4 readied for launch.  Ariane 4 is actually a family of
launchers, sharing a stretched and beefed-up Ariane core and adding two
or four strap-ons, those being small solids, big liquids, or two of each.
The first launch will be the AR44LP variant, with two of each strap-on,
to get the most mileage out of one test launch.  Arianespace has made
firm commitments to order 50 Ariane 4s, in hopes that volume production
will cut costs and simplify management.

Work begins on the ELA-3 launch complex at Kourou, for use with Ariane 5
in the mid-1990s.  Included are an adjacent vertical test stand for the
Ariane 5 SRBs, and a factory for solid-propellant manufacturing.

House, Senate, White House quarrel over how to limit liability for
commercial third-party launches.  House and Senate bills are broadly
similar, setting fixed limits on third-party damage and government
property damage (with limits lowered if coverage to the limits is not
available at reasonable cost), with the DoT assuming responsibility
beyond the limits.  By comparison, the Chinese and the Soviets assume
all responsibility, while Arianespace requires $70M of third-party
coverage and the French government covers the rest.  The space-insurance
business is in bad shape and agrees that limits are needed.  USAF,
NASA, and DoT do not like the idea; they think goverment indemnification
is overly drastic and the $100M gov't-property limit is too low (USAF
estimate is that a Titan failure could cause $300M damage).  The Reagan
alternative would cap liability instead of shifting it to the government.
[Congress does not like the radical change to liability law that this
implies.]  The USAF also takes a dim view of the clause compensating
commercial satellite customers bumped from the shuttle, saying that this
is a "direct federal subsidy".  [Now I've heard everything -- compensating
the victims when you renege on your promises is a "subsidy"?!?]  It's not
yet clear whether Reagan dislikes the House/Senate bill enough to veto it;
minor adjustments have already been made to try to keep him happy.

USAF is seriously beefing up security for space-launch sites, in response
to post-Challenger studies showing serious vulnerability to man-portable
weapons before and just after launch.  The USAF now deploys AC-130 gunships
with specialized sensors to both Vandenberg and the Cape when launches are
imminent, but AC-130s are in short supply and the increasing launch rates
dictate dedicated aircraft.  Each site could get at least three specially-
equipped helicopters, probably similar to a recent demonstration model
shown at Vandenberg by ERA Aviation (which does things like Alaska-pipeline
inspection).  The ERA demonstrator had an imaging infrared system, a low-
light TV system, night-vision goggles for the crew, a full set of IFR
[night/bad-weather] flight instruments, a loudspeaker system, and a high-
power searchlight with a retractable infrared filter.
--
Anyone who buys Wisconsin cheese is|  Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
a traitor to mankind.  --Pournelle |uunet!mnetor!utzoo! henry @zoo.toronto.edu

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (07/26/88)

Henry Spencer writes:
   ...much valuable info deleted...
   Reagan will propose that the two countries study cooperation
   in solar-system exploration.  He will refrain from endorsing missions
   involving extensive hardware cooperation (e.g. Apollo-Soyuz), major
   manned projects, or specific unmanned Mars missions.  [Has it occurred
   to any of the brain-damaged bozos who put together this wonderful list
   of non-promises that maybe the Soviets are tired of studying the notion
   endlessly and would like to *do* something?!?]

Henry - I'm not really arguing about the "brain-damage" nor even the
"bozo" nor even the "non-promises".  I am, however, not too thrilled
to see an editorial comment which seems to imply that just because the
Soviets may (or may not) be getting tired of our "studies" that we
should fall through our a__holes trying to please them, or get
something done to satisfy or placate them.

These are the same people that in the Sputnik era (not that long ago
to me, anyway) promised (not threatened, mind you, *promised*) to bury
us.  A couple of "kind words" and a leader in decent tailoring (for a
change) hardly eradicates decades of threatening behavior.  I
personally think that cooperation is far more desirable than continued
competition - but not without a great deal of deliberation - and due
consideration.  If the Soviets have to stew in their juices a while -
so be it - tough luck. Gorbachev represents, PERHAPS, a new era -
we'll just have to wait and see.
--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

In article <2876@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:
>...I am, however, not too thrilled
>to see an editorial comment which seems to imply that just because the
>Soviets may (or may not) be getting tired of our "studies" that we
>should fall through our a__holes trying to please them, or get
>something done to satisfy or placate them.

Not "just" because the Soviets are getting tired of it.  Because everybody
who wants to see action in space, including prospective international
partners (not limited to the USSR), is getting sick of the US's inability
to actually accomplish anything.  The US space program currently specializes
in studying missions rather than doing them.  And when a possible partner
actually proposes *doing* something, what answer do they get from the US
government?  "Great idea, let's study it for a few more years."  Feh.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu