[sci.space] Seti

iiit-sh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (08/25/88)

I've been reading the discussions about SETI, the silence we seem to be
receiving, etc. It seems, however, that we're up against some pretty stiff
problems dealing with ETs, partly technological and partly due to the fact
that we may not be able to comprehend an ET's message if we *did* receive
such a thing.

Wouldn't it be sensible to spend some effort looking nearer to home? The seas
contain several species of (presumed) intelligent life, yet I don't know of
any sucess at communicating with them short of training dolphins to poke
messages into computers on giant keyboards! This can hardly be regarded as
communicating with the creatures can it?

I would suggest that we have little chance at dealing with ETs until we can
talk to the other intelligent life on *this* planet. Comments, anyone?

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (08/26/88)

In article <1988Aug19.212031.24023@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> A poor assumption; our own lifespan is likely to increase dramatically within
> the next century or so.

During a series of TV programmes last Christmas, it was demonstrated that life
expectancy has been levelling off. I can't remember exactly why; something to
do with the cells making up the body. I think it may have been that they can
only be replaced a certain number of times, but I' not sure there. Anyway, the
conclusion was that lifespan would probably not exceed 100 by much. Diseases
can be beaten, but old age is much more difficult.

> >3) Advanced societies have limited budgets and would expect a return on investment
>
> Again, check out the pattern in our immediate past.  Emigrating to North
> America -- just the passage and the necessary startup supplies -- took
> every cent the Plymouth Rock colonists had, and drove them so deep into
> debt that it was 20 years before they were in the black again.

But did anyone launch a multi-year enquiry when a ship was lost? People were
much more willing to risk their lives then.

Having challenged this optimism about the human species, I should also say that
these examples do not necessarily indicate what an alien culture might see in
space exploration and/or colonisation. Science fiction provides such options as
exterminating life, assisting fledgeling races, escape from a doomed world, and
more.

Finally, to try to open a few minds, who says we haven't been visited? Would
you believe anyone who said we have? Would you believe anyone who claimed to
have seen or met the visitors? In other words, how do you react to people who
believe in UFO's? Simply saying "They're nuts" or "They were fooled by
something" isn't open-minded. As Henry said somewhere else, I don't believe and
I don't disbelieve. Can anyone conclusively prove whether we have been visited
or not?

--
 "Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

kevin@gtisqr.UUCP (Kevin Bagley) (08/27/88)

In article <1685@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>, trn@warper.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) writes:
> Or, on a more grim note, let's say that there's a species which
       [Highly abbreviated]
>    1) fairly developed civilization,
>    2) developed very effective weapons
>    3) bit overcrowded,
>    4) believing themselves to be the "roughest, toughest
	[stuff deleted]

I do **not** believe this garbage, but lets say there is a civilization
out there with the above type of mentality, (I personally think that
type of mentality is far more obnoxious than our own and that our
civilization is teetering on the brink of self destruction.) why
couldn't this super tough highly teched civilization did exist, they
may be capable of doing severe damage simply through communcation.
i.e.
   1) They could communicate to us a cure for cancer that was
      actually a very subtle poison that was airborn and did
      not take affect for n years.

   2) Tell us of a new and safe energy source that is actually
      a quark bomb. (Kills / destroys buildings etc. but does
      not destroy atmosphere or produce radiation.)

   3) Mass hypnotism followed by mass suicide.

   4) Help me here folks. How else do you cause genocide by remote control?

I find this no more bizarre than the concept of this type of
civilization and a hell of a lot cheaper than sending their
starfleet.

In article <1944@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:
>> A poor assumption; our own lifespan is likely to increase dramatically within
>> the next century or so.
>
>During a series of TV programmes last Christmas, it was demonstrated that life
>expectancy has been levelling off...

Our *natural* life expectancy is unlikely to increase much further.  That
wasn't what I was talking about.

>Diseases can be beaten, but old age is much more difficult.

Agreed.  On the other hand, there is a lot more motive for tackling it.
Old age is 100% fatal and happens to everyone; AIDS is insignificant by
comparison.

Understand, I don't expect major improvements in lifespan tomorrow, or
next year, or even next decade.  But we are starting to understand the
detailed biochemical functioning of a few very small portions of our
physiology.  It is fairly safe to predict massive progress in this within
a few decades.  The biggest problem with old age is simply that we don't
understand the details of why it happens.  That will change.

>> Again, check out the pattern in our immediate past.  Emigrating to North
>> America -- just the passage and the necessary startup supplies -- took
>> every cent the Plymouth Rock colonists had, and drove them so deep into
>> debt that it was 20 years before they were in the black again.
>
>But did anyone launch a multi-year enquiry when a ship was lost? People were
>much more willing to risk their lives then.

Nonsense.  You're looking at a pathological phenomenon in a persistently-
underfunded branch of the US government, not a general trend.  If access
to space were adequate to permit an attempt at, say, a lunar colony to
be made *without* having to beg approval from government bureaucrats and
a Congress full of fat lawyers, there would be half a dozen of them already,
risks notwithstanding.  There is no shortage of people willing to risk their
lives for what they see as a worthwhile cause; the problem is that
spaceflight is currently too expensive for such people to fund it from
their own resources.

>... who says we haven't been visited? Would
>you believe anyone who said we have? Would you believe anyone who claimed to
>have seen or met the visitors? In other words, how do you react to people who
>believe in UFO's? Simply saying "They're nuts" or "They were fooled by
>something" isn't open-minded. As Henry said somewhere else, I don't believe and
>I don't disbelieve. Can anyone conclusively prove whether we have been visited
>or not?

"It is good to have an open mind, but not one that is open at both ends."
It is not possible to state definitely whether we have been visited or not.
However, the weight of the evidence is against it.  Clearly, if we *are*
being visited, the visitors are being very furtive and cryptic about it.
This is quite peculiar behavior by our standards (and we have no others to
judge it against).  It is possible to imagine explanations for it, but they
are sufficiently strained that good evidence would be needed to justify
them.  None is on hand.  For all the reports of UFO landings, contacts,
etc., *NOT ONE* unquestionably extraterrestrial artifact or hitherto-
unknown-but-verifiable fact has come out of them.  There have been
sightings of phenomena that are arguably difficult to explain, but
there are plenty of natural phenomena that are still poorly understood;
it is not necessary to invoke extraterrestrial spaceships as the reason
for our inability to explain such sightings.  There are people who claim
to have seen or been contacted by extraterrestrials, but people have been
known to lie or be mistaken before; it is not necessary to take such
claims at face value to explain them.  The most prosaic -- and hence, most
probably correct -- theory is that we are not being visited, and have not
been in the past.
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dant@mrloog.LA.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) (08/29/88)

]
]I do **not** believe this garbage, but lets say there is a civilization
]out there with the above type of mentality, (I personally think that
]type of mentality is far more obnoxious than our own and that our
]civilization is teetering on the brink of self destruction.) why
]couldn't this super tough highly teched civilization did exist, they
]may be capable of doing severe damage simply through communcation.
]i.e.
]   1) They could communicate to us a cure for cancer that was
]      actually a very subtle poison...
]   2) Tell us of a new and safe energy source that is actually
]      a quark bomb.
]   3) Mass hypnotism followed by mass suicide.
]   4) Help me here folks. How else do you cause genocide by remote control?

Why not just send blankets infested with chicken pox germs?  It's worked
before...

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@twaddl.LA.TEK.COM

This article gave me an idea.  If we do run into a "berserker" type machine
intelligence, couldn't we just feed them some software containing a virus.
Worth trying anyway.

chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (08/29/88)

In article <430@gt-ford.gtisqr.UUCP> kevin@gtisqr.UUCP (Kevin Bagley) writes:
>In article <1685@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>, trn@warper.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo)
>writes:
>> Or, on a more grim note, let's say that there's a species which
>       [Highly abbreviated]
>>    1) fairly developed civilization,
>>    2) developed very effective weapons
>>    3) bit overcrowded,
>>    4) believing themselves to be the "roughest, toughest
>	[stuff deleted]
>
>I do **not** believe this garbage, but lets say there is a civilization
>out there with the above type of mentality, (I personally think that
>type of mentality is far more obnoxious than our own and that our
>civilization is teetering on the brink of self destruction.)

	Why do you think it is more obnoxious than our own?  We seem to meet
all four qualifications to degrees ranging from fairly (#1, #3, and #4) to
excellently (#2).

>                                                             why
>couldn't this super tough highly teched civilization did exist, they
>may be capable of doing severe damage simply through communcation.
>i.e.
>   1) They could communicate to us a cure for cancer that was
>      actually a very subtle poison that was airborn and did
>      not take affect for n years.

	Fred Hoyle (and maybe a co-author, I don't remember) had the same idea
in _A is for Andromeda_ and another book, in which aliens in the Andromeda
galaxy send instructions on how to build a self-aware computer with a mission
to convert Earth to be like the aliens' planet or destroy it if the
inhabitants (us) see through the plot and quit cooperating.  While the
scientific premises in this particular dilogy are less than sound, it is
impossible to prove that the same sort of thing could not be accomplished by
better-thought-out methods of the same general idea.

> [. . .]
>   3) Mass hypnotism followed by mass suicide.
>
>   4) Help me here folks. How else do you cause genocide by remote control?

	An elaboration of #3 is as follows:  send over a religion or a
political ideology which will spread to everyone on the planet and which
preaches lethal intolerance of anyone not converted, and then optionally does
a Jim Jones job on a massive scale, or sets up something like that portrayed
in George Orwells _Nineteen Eighty-Four_.  To ensure that it takes hold, tempt
the original recipients (most likely to be scientists, the government, and the
military) with means to great power (insights into how to build superweapons,
etc.) which can be used most effectively if they participate in the religious
and/or ideological program.

>I find this no more bizarre than the concept of this type of
>civilization and a hell of a lot cheaper than sending their
>starfleet.

	You could be right.  The problem with this kind of approach is that
(unless the perpetrators travel considerably from their home to broadcast the
message, thus negating at least some of the savings), they give away their
location.  And if the plot doesn't work, they run the risk that their intended
victims might be sufficiently enraged or feel a sense of duty sufficient to
cause them to take the trouble to come over physically and do their very best
to blow the perpetrators out of existence -- and if they have their act
together, they will do everything to keep their own home planet secret, so
that the perpetrators will not know who is taking revenge on them if they
tried this in more than one direction.  If responses are expected, they
wouldn't be too hard to fake.

	-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
	   chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
	   lucius@tardis.harvard.edu	(in case the first one doesn't work)
	Villainy knows no bounds. . . .

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (08/30/88)

In article <430@gt-ford.gtisqr.UUCP>, kevin@gtisqr.UUCP (Kevin Bagley) writes:
>    1) They could communicate to us a cure for cancer that was
>       actually a very subtle poison that was airborn and did
>       not take affect for n years.
>
>    2) Tell us of a new and safe energy source that is actually
>       a quark bomb. (Kills / destroys buildings etc. but does
>       not destroy atmosphere or produce radiation.)
>
>    3) Mass hypnotism followed by mass suicide.
>
>    4) Help me here folks. How else do you cause genocide by remote control?

Carl Sagan's not-too-bad SF novel _Contact_ alludes to this problem.
The signals we receive give detailed instructions to build a complex
machine whose construction lies within our capabilities
but whose operation we cannot fathom.

Some opposition groups raised the fear that this machine, once
built and turned on, might blow up/sterilize/poison/jam all TV
channels with "Love Boat" reruns  or otherwise destroy human
civilization.  Just as home computer users who download programs
from bull boards have toworry about Trojan Horses and viruses.

I think that in this novel's case, these fears were very
justifiable.  The machine was benign but did play a dirty old
trick (no spoilers here).

BTW, a perfectly well-intentioned set of technological messages
could end up killing us -- we could screw it up and/or leave
out some "assumed/taken for granted" safety feature.
If all our lawyers died we couldn't even sue 'em.

I'd also be very careful about anything instructions of a biological
nature (like cancer cure) -- how much can "they" know about
our body chemistry?  Half the folks over on rec.pets are trying to
convince the other half that chocolate can kill a dog.

iwm@asun3.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) (08/30/88)

There may only be a small time interval during which a civilization radiates
RF at an easily detectable frequency. How long before we all have cable tv
over fibre optic links ? Or maybe satellites which direct all their output
at the planet. Should we be looking for something else like Infra-red
from power plants?