[sci.space] space news from Aug 15 AW&ST

ESA engineers are investigating a LOX-arm retraction problem that almost
aborted the July 21 Ariane launch:  the third-stage LOX arm stopped
partway through its retraction sequence, but moved clear just in time
for the launch to continue.

SDIO fails to meet its Aug 1 target for revised recommendations on the
Space Based Interceptor.  A major DoD review of SBI is imminent, and
with SDIO not having got its own act together, SBI's supporters are
not optimistic.

Flight readiness firing of the shuttle, Aug 10, goes okay.  Remaining
milestones before a late-Sept launch are one more SRB test, complete
data review of the FRF, SSME post-FRF checkout, and successful repair
of the RCS nitrogen-tetroxide leak.  The FRF slipped a week after a
valve problem aborted the Aug 4 attempt, but the valve replacement was
completed ahead of schedule.  (It now looks like the problem may have
been sensor error.)  The only real problem noticed during the FRF
countdown was a bit of nitrogen in a fuel line; this may be a minor
leak or a measurement error.  Analysis of SRB aft-skirt loads will
continue for several days.  Infrared and mass-spectrometer hydrogen-
leak detector results look clean.

The next job [completed successfully] will be sealing the RCS leak.
This will be done by cutting through the aft wall of the cargo bay and
the forward wall of the OMS pod, clamping a clamshell fitting around
the leaking joint, and filling it with sealant under pressure.  The
wall cutouts will be closed by bolting aluminum plates over them; the
plates will be removable in case this needs to be done again, and will
in fact be stronger (although heavier) than the areas of wall removed.

Chinese controllers prepare to command reentry of Chinese satellite
carrying a secondary West German materials payload.

Inmarsat to issue RFP for new-generation Inmarsat series using multiple
spot beams for marine navigation and communication.

Soviet cosmonaut Anatoly Levchenko dies Aug 6 of a brain tumor.  He flew
on the Soyuz TM-4 mission to Mir last December, and may have been meant
to be commander for the first manned mission of the Soviet shuttle.

Spacehab and NASA sign deal giving Spacehab six partial shuttle flights,
starting 1991, with payment deferred until after each flight.

SDIO begins work on "Super", a survivable solar array hardened against
the Van Allen belts, lasers, particle beams, and nuclear explosions.
It will be flight-tested in 1993, maybe from the shuttle, and the test might
carry piggyback experiments that could benefit from having 5-10kW of
power available.  Super is not yet slated for any particular uses, but
the Boost Surveillance Tracking Satellite is an obvious candidate.

Also underway is a less ambitious project called Scopa, started by the
USAF and now getting some SDI funding too.  The idea here is to put small
concentrators over the individual cells of a solar array, with the
concentrators designed so that light coming in at an angle will not reach
the cells themselves.  This shields the cells against laser attack from
any direction except precisely head on.  A 500W Scopa panel will fly in
FY1990.

SDI studies methods of retrieving malfunctioning nuclear reactors from
orbit.  One possibility is using a modified OMV to tow a failing reactor
satellite to higher orbit.  The study will probably recommend modifications
to SDI's space-reactor project, SP-100, such as standard grappling fittings.
SDI says a joint effort in space-reactor rescue with the USSR would be
sensible, although no formal approach has yet been made.  Cosmos 1900,
the ailing Soviet nuclear radarsat, is due to reenter early in Sept.

Shuttle-C unmanned heavylift shuttle derivative is gaining support as an
interim heavylift booster, specifically for space-station assembly.  The
interest is especially strong since ALS no longer includes the goal of a
near-term "interim ALS" heavylift booster.  Phase 2 study contracts for
Shuttle-C were awarded recently.  It could be ready in 1993-4, using SRBs,
tank, and engine section identical to the shuttle, but with the rest of
the orbiter replaced by a cylindrical payload shroud.  Payload to low
orbit could be 178 klbs.  Five shuttle-C launches could replace thirteen
shuttle launches (out of twenty) in station assembly.  (There is a
problem in that the station people must plan on using shuttle launches
unless/until Shuttle-C is officially funded for development.)  Initial
Shuttle-C SRBs would probably be drawn from the stock of pre-Challenger
SRBs still in storage but no longer considered safe for manned flight.
No attempt would be made to recover Shuttle-C's SSMEs; they would be
SSMEs that are near the end of their rated lives as shuttle engines.
NASA is no longer hoping for more than about 10 flights per SSME, and
this will create a substantial pool of "retired" engines by the early
1990s.  SSME recovery for Shuttle-C is considered too complex and costly.
Various payload masses could be accommodated by using either two or three
SSMEs, running them at either 100% or 104% of rated thrust, and by using
either ordinary shuttle SRBs or the new ASRMs which will be available in
the 90s.  A three-SSME, 104%, ASRM Shuttle-C could launch 190 klbs into
low orbit from the Cape.  Development costs including first flight are
estimated at $1.9G, although NASA thinks that number (derived from general
cost models rather than detailed analysis) is too high, given that the
only major work needed is the payload shroud and the return to production
of orbiter aft thrust structures.  A generally-favorable OTA report said
that $800M should be adequate; NASA is studying the issue.  The OTA
study said that Shuttle-C is not cost-effective if flight rate rises
above 2-3 flights per year, given its high incremental costs ($235M
per launch), but it could be quite cost effective at those rates as a
way of offloading the shuttle.

Inmarsat awards $8M contract to China Satellite Launch and Tracking
Control General to provide tracking/telemetry/command services for the
Pacific-area Inmarsat 2 satellites, starting in 1990.  A dedicated
tracking station near Beijing will be used.
--
NASA is into artificial        |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
stupidity.  - Jerry Pournelle  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) (09/13/88)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> No attempt would be made to recover Shuttle-C's SSMEs; they would be
> SSMEs that are near the end of their rated lives as shuttle engines.
> NASA is no longer hoping for more than about 10 flights per SSME, and
> this will create a substantial pool of "retired" engines by the early
> 1990s.

So SSMEs do not last forever.  :-)  Some questions:
	1) How much does a single SSME cost?  They can't be cheap!
	2) What was the intended number of flights per SSME?
	3) Does NASA's latest budget include the costs of a new SSME
	   every ten flights?

Brian McElhinney
mce@tc.fluke.com

In article <5163@fluke.COM> mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) writes:
>	1) How much does a single SSME cost?  They can't be cheap!

It depends on what assumptions you make, but no, they are not cheap.

>	2) What was the intended number of flights per SSME?

I think they started out hoping for 50.  Then they scaled it back to 20.
Now it's 10.

>	3) Does NASA's latest budget include the costs of a new SSME
>	   every ten flights?

Three new SSMEs every ten flights, actually.  I don't know whether it's
explicitly in the budget, but with all the trouble they've been having
with the SSMEs, I would expect so.