[sci.space] Interpretation of the PIONEER-10 Plaque

luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management) (09/26/88)

    Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
    on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?

    Pioneer-10 was launched in March, 1972 destined for Jupiter. Continuing
    on, it became the first man-made object to leave the solar system in
    1986.

    I believe the plaque was to act as a note from mankind to anyone who
    may find the craft.  I'm wondering what messages were represented on
    the sides of the space probe.  Was there also a recording of some
    sorts?

    If I could find a good picture of the plaque, it'd be interesting to
    see how many people could gather the meaning of the messages.  But
    I need the "correct answers" first.

    Thanks to anyone who can supply information, I'll post a summary if
    anyone is interested.

    Bruce

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/27/88)

In article <8809261413.AA18424@decwrl.dec.com> luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management) writes:

>    Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
>    on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?
>
>    Thanks to anyone who can supply information, I'll post a summary if
>    anyone is interested.

As I recall, there is an exhibit about the Pioneer-10 at the Johnson Space
Center visitor's center.  It features information about what was put on
board and, I think, a reproduction of the plaque and the record.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll take a closer look at it.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

dave@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) (09/27/88)

In article <8809261413.AA18424@decwrl.dec.com> luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management) writes:

 >    Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
 >    on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?
 >
 >    If I could find a good picture of the plaque, it'd be interesting to
 >    see how many people could gather the meaning of the messages.  But
 >    I need the "correct answers" first.

You have to realize that the plaque was designed to be read by
ALIENS.  You might try Henry Spencer (if he ever is in town)
or Mike Dukakis's dad.  :-)
--
If you can't convince |   David Messer - (dave@Lynx.MN.Org)
them, confuse them.   |   Lynx Data Systems
                      |   amdahl   --!bungia!viper!dave
                      |   hpda    /

Copyright 1988 David Messer -- All Rights Reserved
This work may be freely copied.  Any restrictions on
redistribution of this work are prohibited.

In article <8809261413.AA18424@decwrl.dec.com> luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management) writes:
>    Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
>    on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?

See Carl Sagan's book "The Cosmic Connection" -- possibly still in print,
almost certainly findable in your local library -- which discusses the
Pioneer 10 plaque in considerable detail.
--
NASA is into artificial        |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
stupidity.  - Jerry Pournelle  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (09/28/88)

In article <8809261413.AA18424@decwrl.dec.com>, luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management) writes:

>     Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
>     on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?
>
>     Bruce

	"For a good time, call Heidi; (415) 555-7822"

	Sorry, I couldn't resist that one :-) :-)
					- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP		(Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

willner@cfa250.harvard.edu (Steve Willner P-316 x57123) (09/30/88)

From article <8809261413.AA18424@decwrl.dec.com>, by
luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management):
>     Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
>     on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?

See Mercury, vol. 17, p. 88 (May/June 1988).  This issue and the
previous one have articles on the scientific achievements of the
Pioneer spacecraft.  The description of the plaque is a sidebar.

Mercury is published by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (390
Ashton Ave., San Francisco, CA 94112).  Copies should be available in
any good library.
--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa

rhw@helens.Stanford.EDU (Robert H. Wentworth) (10/03/88)

>In article <8809261413.AA18424@decwrl.dec.com> luhrs@drfix.dec.com (Bruce Luhrs, MKO1-1/L38, Fire Management) writes:
> >
> >    Can anyone remember what information and messages were represented
> >    on the plaque carried out of the solar system by Pioneer-10?
> >
> >    If I could find a good picture of the plaque, it'd be interesting to
> >    see how many people could gather the meaning of the messages.  But
> >    I need the "correct answers" first.

I wonder if before they sent the Pioneer-10 plaque they tested it on anyone
who didn't already know what information it was intended to convey.  I
remember seeing reproductions of it several times, along with descriptions
of the interpretation, and thinking that very few humans with a BS in
Physics and no prior knowledge of the plaque or the philosophy behind
it would be likely to translate it correctly.  Heaven help anyone from
a different technical culture...

Robert Wentworth          | Got them don't know quite what I'm doin'
rhw@sierra.stanford.edu   | new poster blues...