[sci.space] Momentum

wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (11/16/88)

In article <1084@esunix.UUCP>, bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
> [...]
> From article <1988Nov11.213348.27877@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
> > [...]
> > Breaking the existing
> > debris up into smaller bits is the *last* thing we want to do.
>
> Not really. Even a fairly heavy rain of microscopic particles can be
> stopped more easily than one large chunk.

Both arguments are correct, really. Think of the problem in terms of
momentum. Since simply breaking up debris into smaller particles means
each one has a smaller momentum (mv), they should do less damage
hitting anything. A particle already in orbit can only lose momentum
as the orbit decays.

However, Henry is right for practical reasons. You would have to
convert *every bit* of debris into almost microscopic particles before
you would no longer have to worry about them. Remember the paint chip
that hit the shuttle window? If you have some really delicate
satellites (e.g. exposed mirrors or reflecting mylar sheets), then even
microscopic debris is probably a no-no.
--

Bill    UUCP:  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu