[sci.space] New light, different focus...

gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (11/26/88)

Well, for my first posting on the net, I have garnered an amazing response.
Unfortunately, a good deal of it is negative.

But before I try to rebuff some of the comments I've seen, let me apologize
to Mr. Spencer for stating that he is a idiot.  He's seems (from what I've seen)
to be an intelligent and informed person.  Now, with that out of the way, let's
begin.

I'm sorry that at least one of you out there considers by opinion "naive".
I an not unaware of what has happened to my neighbor NASA these days.  With
reports of coverups and suppressions of the truth and other nasty stuff, I
am a little disheartened by it all.  Worst of all, I terribly saddened by the
fact that we could do an immensely better job, except that some pinheads in
Washington think it more fun to play politics rather than playing getting down
to work.  But thought it all, I still have faith in NASA that they'll weather
this storm and come back to its rightful place.  Call me idealistically
optimistic, but that how it think it'll be.

And to clarify a point I made, at this point in time, I believe the Soviets
to be in the lead of the Space Race.  They have made accomplishments where we
have had failures.  But again, I don't see whe we should just say "Okay, that's
it ladies and gentlemen.  For now on, the show's gonna be run from Baikonur!"
Now is our chance to do what should have been done all along: define what
we want to do in space.  Do we want to go commercial?  Do we want a space
station?  Do we want more planetary exploration (manned or unmanned)?  All
we want to do now is get the shuttle flying again!  Well, we just did that.
So now what?  Uh, let's launch another.  Yeah!  That's it!  Okay, what then?
Well, don't ask me these silly questions!

Ya see, we could be just as busy as the Sovs, but we are just running around
like a chicken with no head.  I just hope that someday soon, we find that
head again and put it back!

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
"Women.  You can't live   | Mail your invigorating replies to:      | For

greg@proxftl.UUCP (Gregory N. Hullender) (11/28/88)

In article <gables.232@umigw.miami.edu> gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) writes:
>Now is our chance to do what should have been done all along: define what
>we want to do in space.  Do we want to go commercial?  Do we want a space
>station?  Do we want more planetary exploration (manned or unmanned)?

The _Ecomomist_ had a very good article about space recently.  They said that
there were really four reasons to go into space: Money, Power, Knowledge, and
Glory.  The suggested each be dealt with as follows:

1) Money.  Commercial exploitation of space should *not* be done by the
government.  The government might subsidize it or patronize it to help get
it started, but every effort should be made to privatize commercical launches
as much as possible.

2) Power.  The military should be free to persue their own objectives in space,
without strings attached to NASA.  This partnership has not served either
side very well.

3) Knowledge.  Universities and other research institutions should be free to
purchase launch capability wherever they wish (consistent with national
security).  Their budgets should simply include some amount for launch costs
for each project.

4) Glory.  Man exploring the universe is not a means to an end; it is an
end in itself, and the public is willing to pay for a certain amount of it.
NASA should pick a goal (Man on Mars, say), and, given a realistic annual
budget for it (what the public is *really* willing to pay for pure exploration)
plan out how to spend it intelligently over the time it will actually take.
If the USA alone won't foot the whole bill, go in together with the same allies
we're working with on the space station.

I think a great deal of NASA's problems come from the fact that it has always
been in business #4, but it has tried to justify things based on the other
three.  NASA's troubles with Congress are not the fault of Congress; they
stem directly from NASA's lies about the economic practicality of the shuttle.

Good steps have been made toward eliminating NASA's non-Glory functions.
This should continue.
--
Greg Hullender / 3511 NE 22nd Av./Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 / uunet!proxftl!greg

 "People get tired of being trampled on by the iron-shod feet of oppression."
		-- Martin Luther King, Jr.