[sci.space] C-M Mars AMBLER

jtk@mordor.s1.gov (Jordan Kare) (01/26/89)

In article <491@geovision.UUCP> alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) writes:
>In article <Added.EXnWGJy00Ui3A8rU98@andrew.cmu.edu> HAYHURS@IUBACS.BITNET writes:
>>It seems to me that the placement of ComSat's in Geosynchronous orbit over
>>Mars would solve the loss of communications.  They would have to be fancy -
>
>Well, if you really wanted *geo*synchronous orbit over Mars, they probably
>would have to be fancy.
>
>*Are*synchronous wouldn't be that tough, though.

Hmm.  Geosynchronous just means "synchronized with the Earth" -- and
it's no harder to make a 24+ hour (siderial Earth day) around Mars
than around Earth.  It would even be nearly Mars synchronous as well --
the days are nearly the same length.

"Aresynchronous" is an awful word, though -- some prefixes just don't
do the job.  Reminds me of the problem of how to describe things
belonging to the planet Venus.
"Venusian" is (from a liguistic standpoint) horrendous.
Unfortunately, the correct adjective is "venereal", which
has some unfortunate connotations.

I therefore prefer the Classical alternative, and I can't wait 'til Venus
is colonized so I can sample that Aphrodisiac atmosphere :-)

	Jordin (a Jovial fellow) Kare