[sci.space] Concorde, Hyper-sonic jets and onto Hotol etc.

ZZASSGL@cms.umrcc.ac.uk ("Geoff. Lane. Tel UK-061 275 6051") (01/23/89)

It pleases a middle-aged Brit's heart good to see so much interest in
the Concorde as its one of the few projects that a British government did
not chicken out of as the price exceeded hopelessly under-estimated
development costs.  Despite the high price per aircraft the research
work that had to be done was used elsewhere and probably would have had
to be done in any case.

Right - now some space - Both the American and British Governments have
made some vague noises about very fast and very high altitude jet/rocket
craft at various times.  It seems to me that such projects are the ONLY
way that anybody outside of the space mafia will ever get out of the
atmosphere. There is no point in waiting for NASA to develop a craft that
is cheap or safe enough(and would YOU trust any USSR flying machine?). The
only existing experts in designing and building high performance flying
machines - the commercial aircraft builders -
must be given sufficient incentive to produce the hardware that is
required. Despite recent events I think that even PAN-AM could do the
job if a profit could be seen inside a few years. This of course implies
none of the very silly "You can't park that thing here" arguments that
various governments get upto in the aviation business.

geoff.

PS I just had a thought - do you remember the visual joke in the film
2001 where the instructions for the 0G toilet almost totally covered
the door? Well if we wait long enough not only will the instructions
be lengthy, they may also be a translation from the Japanese!

dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (01/24/89)

In article <23.Jan.89.14:10:19.GMT.ZZASSGL@UK.AC.UMRCC.CMS> ZZASSGL@cms.umrcc.ac.uk ("Geoff. Lane. Tel UK-061 275 6051") writes:

>It pleases a middle-aged Brit's heart good to see so much interest in
>PS I just had a thought - do you remember the visual joke in the film
>2001 where the instructions for the 0G toilet almost totally covered
>the door? Well if we wait long enough not only will the instructions
>be lengthy, they may also be a translation from the Japanese!

My roommate and I thought it would have been great if Dr. Floyd
would have been slowly stepping on his left foot and then on
his right ... (with appropriate facial expressions)   :-)

Douglas Krause           "You can't legislate morality" -George Bush
University of California, Irvine   ARPANET: dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu
"Irvine?  Where's Irvine?"         BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (Bob Gray) (01/27/89)

In article <23.Jan.89.14:10:19.GMT.ZZASSGL@UK.AC.UMRCC.CMS> ZZASSGL@cms.umrcc.ac.uk ("Geoff. Lane. Tel UK-061 275 6051") writes:
>It pleases a middle-aged Brit's heart good to see so much interest in
>the Concorde as its one of the few projects that a British government did
>not chicken out of as the price exceeded hopelessly under-estimated
>development costs.  Despite the high price per aircraft the research
>work that had to be done was used elsewhere and probably would have had
>to be done in any case.
>
>Right - now some space - Both the American and British Governments have
>made some vague noises about very fast and very high altitude jet/rocket
>craft at various times.  It seems to me that such projects are the ONLY

Not quite. The British government made some very specific
noises about jet/rocket craft.

No immediate profits: no money.

The government representative at the ESA meeting at the end
of last year had much the same attitude. Heavy criticism for
ESA because the proposed plans do not mention how the
proposed activities can be made to return a profit.

The only reason Britain is puting money into the Columbus
module for the space station is because advisors have
decided that the remote observation data obtained from the
polar platforms can be made profitable.

And Hotol? Alan Bond, the designer, tried to put together a
rescue package from private investors, late last year after
the Government had dropped the project. The deal fell
through, Bond says, because Rolls Royce don't want the
engine developed, and wouldn't release their patents.

Alan Bond is back working for the UK Atomic Energy
Authority and says "My involvement with Hotol is finished;
there is nothing more I can do".

Rolls Royce meanwhile are to have talks with the people
developing the NASP for the US airforce and Navy to see if
there are any "areas of common interest".
	Bob.