------------------------------

From: Paul F. Dietz <dietz@cs.rochester.edu>

I just read an interesting article:

  "The Distributed Injection Ballistic Launcher"
  H. Gilreath et. al., JHU APL Technical Digest 9(3), 1988, pp. 299-309.

In a conventional gun, pressurized gas is injected once, and expands
as the projectile travels down the barrel.  As a result, acceleration
drops off.  The initial pressure is limited by the strength of the
projectile and/or the barrel.

Ideally, a gun should maintain constant pressure on the projectile.
The DIL (approximately) does this by injecting gas behind the
projectile from the sides at points along the barrel.  This is a
fairly old idea; the German V-3 guns in WWII used it (although they
were never made operational).  Just as a mass driver can be thought of
as a linear electric motor, a DIL can be thought of as a linear
internal combustion engine.

Discrete injection of gas behind a flat-based projectile doesn't work
very well.  Instead, Gilreath et. al. propose to make the projectile
boat-tailed -- that is, make its base be a long cone -- and inject the
gas against the boat-tail as the projectile passes.  If the boat-tail
is sufficiently pointy (small boat-tail angle theta) then the axial
velocity the gas must attain is reduced (by a factor of tan(theta)),
and the system can operate efficiently even if the projectile is
travelling much faster than the speed of sound in the gas.  The limit
the authors give is about 15 km/sec.

The authors say (but do not justify) the mass penalties associated
with launching directly to orbital velocities would be very great, due
to the need for thermal protection.  They suggest using the DIL as a
first stage.  They do say, however, that "complex electronics packages
... can easily tolerate accelerations of tens of thousands of g."
That they say this isn't surprising, since JHU APL developed the first
gun launched proximity fuse during WWII, and it tolerated 20,000 g,
even though it contained five vacuum tubes.

The article has an interesting picture of an extended-barrel 16" gun
(conventional, not a DIL) that was operated in Barbados in the 1960s
and early 70s.  It could launch atmospheric diagnostic probes at 1.6
km/sec, with apogees up to 100 km (at a launch cost of few dollars per
kilogram).  The gun was used to launch scramjet test vehicles; they
failed at launch, but theoretically they could have had a range of up
to 3700 km with apogee at up to 1000 km.  There is a picture of one
test vehicle.  It had a mass of 100 kg and burned 3 kg of triethyl
aluminum (it is not clear if this vehicle had the stated range).  It
was designed to withstand accelerations up to 10,000 g, but suffered
structural damage to its fins and skin in the test firing.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

------------------------------

From: attcan!utzoo!henry@uunet.UU.NET

> ... "complex electronics packages
> ... can easily tolerate accelerations of tens of thousands of g."
> That they say this isn't surprising, since JHU APL developed the first
> gun launched proximity fuse during WWII, and it tolerated 20,000 g,
> even though it contained five vacuum tubes.

Said packages do have to be specially built, though.  The vacuum tubes
for the proximity fuzes (a "fuse" is an electrical safety device) were
quite unorthodox designs.  They were placed on the axis of the shell to
minimize centrifugal force, and the tube elements were made of the
thinnest practical wire to get maximum benefit from the square-cube law.
The tube envelopes, needless to say, were metal.

I'm trying to recall a piece I saw some years ago on the electronics in
the Copperhead laser-guided shell.  My dim recollection is that they used
ring-shaped circuit boards around a central core, supported the boards at
both core and outer edge, and otherwise just used careful mil-spec circuit
construction.

> The article has an interesting picture of an extended-barrel 16" gun
> (conventional, not a DIL) that was operated in Barbados in the 1960s
> and early 70s.  It could launch atmospheric diagnostic probes at 1.6
> km/sec, with apogees up to 100 km...

Ah yes, HARP.  (High Altitude Research Project.)  A joint US-Canada project.
The gun was two battleship barrels end-to-end.  One hears occasional
mutterings that work along those lines may have been continued for a while,
on a smaller scale in secret.  HARP used fairly straightforward methods:
an extra-long barrel, smoothbore (it was actually 16.5 inches when they
bored out the rifling, I think) with fin-stabilized projectiles, and
subcaliber projectiles (that is, projectiles rather smaller than the gun
bore, padded out to full diameter with a light-alloy jacket that falls off
on departure from the barrel).  These techniques are all standard, on a
less ambitious level, for modern tank guns (although smoothbore guns
weren't in HARP's day).

"Distributed Injection Ballistic Launcher", indeed. :-)  It's a booster
cannon.  (I think we can claim that Heinlein's name for it has priority,
by about 40 years.)

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

------------------------------

From: dietz@cs.rochester.edu

Following up on my last message about the distributed injection
launcher, here are some other concepts I've read or thought about.
All involve projectiles accelerated in a tube by gas pressure.

Ram Accelerator
---------------

In this concept, the space between the wall and the projectile forms
an annular ramjet.  Before firing, the tube is filled with some kind
of gas (either oxidizer, fuel, a mixture or a monopropellant).  The
projectile front is shaped to compress the oncoming gas; the back is
shaped to act as an inside-out nozzle.  The projectile might carry fuel
or oxidizer (perhaps in solid form).

I recently read somewhere (on the net?) a report of a professor and
students that built a model ram accelerator.  Anyonme remember this?

Travelling Charge Gun
---------------------

Unlike a conventional gun, in which the charge is burned in the
chamber, the charge in a TCG is attached to the back of the projectile
and travels down the barrel.  As a result, the pressure produced by
the burning is applied where it does the most good.  When the
projectile velocity is high this is much more important than the loss
in velocity due to the need to accelerate the charge.

The TCG can be thought of as an inside-out solid rocket, where
propellant burns inwards and the space between the propellant and the
tube wall acts as a nozzle.  The projectile could also have a spike
projecting backwards to increase thrust.  Unlike a conventional solid
rocket, the projectile need not have a steerable nozzle or, indeed,
any guidance at all.  However, the fuel must burn much more quickly.

One might also design a multistage TCG, equivalent to a multistage
solid rocket.  The first stage would help compress the exhaust from
the second stage; this clearly isn't possible with ordinary rockets.
One might also begin with the stages disconnected, perhaps with some
buffer gas between them.  This idea leads to...

Multistage Light Gas Guns
-------------------------

A large piston is accelerated by a conventional gun.  It is rammed
into a pump chamber filled with hydrogen or helium.  The light gas is
compressed and heated, and, after rupturing a diaphragm, accelerates a
smaller projectile down a tube.

The maximum muzzle velocity in a gun is, roughly, proportional to the
initial speed of sound in the gas.  The speed of sound is sqrt (gamma
R T / M) where gamma is the ratio of specific heats, R is the
universal gas constant, T is the initial temperature and M the
molecular weight.  So, it makes sense to use hot, light gases.

There are light gas guns in operation that can accelerate gram sized
objects to 7 km/sec or more.  Naively, I think you could scale up guns
while maintaining constant pressures and muzzle velocities.  So,
increasing the dimensions by a factor of ten would increase the
projectile mass by a factor of a thousand.  Scaling (for example) some
numbers I saw for the Ames light piston gun (muzzle velocity: about
7 km/sec) to a 1000 kilogram projectile would give it a length of
half a mile and a barrel diameter of four and a half feet.  I'm not
saying this would be practical, but it is interesting.  A large light
gas gun would use hydrogen, which is cheaper and has better performance.

I wonder if it would be possible to combine light gas guns with
traveling charges, so as to maintain pressure on the projectile at
late times.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

------------------------------

From: dietz@cs.rochester.edu

Continuing this thread...

In traveling charge guns, the charge burns from the back forwards, not
from the sides inwards.  The pressure behind the projectile is already
high, so using some sort of nozzle probably doesn't make sense.

One thing that worries me about gun type launchers is abrasion
between the projectile and the barrel wall.  I assume this problem is
solved by letting some of the gas leak around the projectile, forming
a gas bearing.

I talked to John Hunter at LLNL briefly.  They are building a scale
model of a light gas gun launcher.  The full scale concept will launch
projectiles with masses of several metric tons at 5 - 9 km/sec, at the
rate of several per day.  Their paper will be presented at a AIAA
conference next July.

Dr. Hunter said he would send me an abstract, and, if he does not
object, I'll send more details to this list when I receive it.

I find it encouraging that the professionals are actively investigating
this topic.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

------------------------------

From: Andrew Higgins  <ahiggins@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>

From: dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul F. Dietz)
> I recently read somewhere (on the net?) a report of a professor and
> students that built a model ram accelerator.  Anyone remember this?

You may be referring to the article "Impulsive Behavior" by Susan Sutphin
in the April 1988 issue of _Space_World_ (Vol. Y-4-292 p. 18).  This is
certainly not a technical article, but it does give some good background
information.  A brief summary follows:

	Students at the University of Washington are working on a
	chemically propelled mass launcher.  The project is headed
	by Professors Adam Bruckner and Abraham Hertzberg of the
	university's Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
	The vehicle is similar to the main body of a ramjet used
	in unguided missles.  The vehicle travels through a
	stationary tube filled with premixed high pressure gaseous
	fuel and oxidizer.  The vehicle carries no primary propellant
	of its own.  According to Bruckner,"The concept is that we
	can accelerate a vehicle weighing several thousand kilograms
	up to about 10 kilometers per second using only chemical
	energy and readily available fuels."

	The project has produced a small scale model that uses a
	projectile weighing between 50 and 100 grams and achieves
	a velocity of 2,400 meters per second.  They hope to increase
	this to 4,000 meters per second before having to move to
	a different facility.  All design work is based on current
	technology.

	The university has signed a teaming agreement with Olin Corp.
	and has received a research grant from Langley Research
	Center to further the effort.  Both Ames and Lewis Research
	Centers are showing interest.  Bruckner, Hertzberg, and
	Bogdanoff currently have a number of patents pending.

Also, according to the April 1988 issue of _Aerospace_America_, high velocity
gun launch concepts were debated at the AIAA/Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency lightsat conference in Monterey CA, and at a similar conference at
Utah State Univ.  Someone may want to look into these.
--
 Andrew J. Higgins	             | 	Illini Space Development Society
 404 1/2 E. White St apt 3           |  a chapter of the National Space Society

------------------------------

From: Ted Anderson <ota+@andrew.cmu.edu>

I was the one who posted a note on the RAM Accelerator.  The paper I have was
published at the _37th meeting of the Aeroballistic Range Association_, Quebec,
Canada, 9-12 September, 1986.  The authors are A. Hertzberg, A.P. Brucknet, and
D.W. Bogdanoff all from the Aerospace and Energetics Research Program,
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195.

On the issue of scaling up a light gas gun I'll mention that a John Hunter at
LLNL was working on exactly this at least as recently as May.  I have a draft of
a paper he was preparing but I don't know what it's publishability status is.
He determined that the system does indeed scale well.
        Ted Anderson

------------------------------

From: dietz@cs.rochester.edu

From: Ted Anderson <ota+@andrew.cmu.edu>
> The paper I
> have was published at the _37th meeting of the Aeroballistic Range
> Association_, Quebec, Canada, 9-12 September, 1986.

The paper has now appeared in a journal: AIAA Journal, 26(2) (Feb. 1988),
pages 195-203.  It is slightly different from the conference version, but
does not report the most recent experiments that reached 2.4 km/s.

Paul F. Dietz
dietz@cs.rochester.edu

------------------------------

From: dietz@cs.rochester.edu

I've received copies of some recent papers on the ram accelerator.  The
most interesting is:

"The Ram Accelerator: A Chemically Driven Mass Launcher" P. Kaloupis
and A. P. Bruckner.  AIAA-88-2968.  Presented at the 24th Joint
Propulsion Conference, Boston, July 11-13, 1988.

The paper describes the components of a system that can place a 2000
kg vehicle into LEO.  The details are apropos to the discussion in
this mailing list about gun based launchers.

The launch vehicle has a diameter of .76 m and is 7.5 m long.  It is
first accelerated by a methane/air gun to 700 m/s.  The ram
accelerator contains nine different gas mixtures at 33 atmospheres
(the gas mixtures tailored to have the correct properties for
different ranges of projectile speed).  The mixtures range from 0.5
CH4 + O2 + 3 CO2 (.7 to 1.1 km/s) to 8 H2 + O2 (7.2+ km/s).  Peak
acceleration is < 1000 g.

The vehicles are made of graphite epoxy and have a total structural
mass of 625 kg.  The graphite epoxy is coated with carbon-carbon
ablator.  This heating is apparently not as bad as I had feared.
Total mass loss for a 9 km/s launch velocity due to atmospheric
heating (starting at 4000 m altitude) is only about 38 kg for a 16
degree angle of elevation, about 20 kg for 22 degrees.  Velocity loss
ranges from 10% (30 deg.) to 20% (16 deg.).

It is claimed that mass loss from ablation decreases as muzzle
velocity increases, because although the heat load is higher, the
vehicle is not exposed to the heating for as long a time.  It is
also claimed that the heating is largely convective, not radiative.
In-tube ablation due to passage through the propellant gas is less than
1 kg; ablation in the combustion zone, less than 3 kg.

Unfortunately, the vehicle is aerodynamically unstable.  They'd
better add fins, I think.

For a 9 km/s launcher, the launch tube is 5.1 km long and is made
of 41,700 tonnes of AISI 4340 steel.

The paper talks about orbital maneuvesrs. Solid rocket motors are
ruled out because they could not withstand launch, and have
insufficient performance.  Instead, they propose using nitrogen
tetroxide and monomethylhydrazine, pressurized by a gas generator
using hydrazine.  Isp = 297 sec, thrust = 10,000 newtons.  Hardware
mass of the propulsion system is approximately 200 kg.

The vehicle is aerobraked down to LEO in one pass at 30-50 km without
the use of special aerodynamic devices.  This apparently does not
present heating problems.

Mass fraction to LEO ranges from 19% (8 km/s launch velocity, angle 22
deg) to 43% (10 km/s, 18 deg).  However, they have apparently not
addressed the problem of matching orbital planes, perhaps because they
think waiting for precession to match planes is too time consuming.

I find it encouraging that low launch angles lead to acceptable
ablation.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

space exploration.  Topics have included EM launchers, solar sails, amateur
satellite projects, and tethered satellites.  If you want to join, send mail
to space-tech-request@cs.cmu.edu with your name, Email address, and optionally
a couple of lines saying who you are and what you do.  Specify whether you'd
like the raw or digested list.

| Marc Ringuette        | mnr@cs.cmu.edu  | Holy cow, Batman!                 |
| CMU Computer Science  | 412-268-3728(w) |   -- watch this space for other   |
| Pittsburgh, PA 15213  | 412-681-5408(h) |      quotes from great literature |