[sci.space] fireball across Texas

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (01/24/89)

This weekend .... in the Texas skies....something reentered the
atmosphere with a dazzing show of glowing debris.  Anybody know
what it might be?  I noticed one of TS Kelso's posted spacecraft
(by my orbit simulations) has decayed to a mean motion of zero!

Anyway... the thing was visible from several states in the mid
us continent.  Help TS... what do you know?? The Rooskies no doubt!

Regards,
Charlie Thompson
Austin, TX

pablo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Cohn) (01/24/89)

Reportedly, it was a derelict Soviet booster re-entering. It was
visible across maybe 1/3 of the country (no, not here in Seattle,
though we had a spectacular one like that a couple of years ago).

-David "Pablo" Cohn	"look to the night sky"

daniel@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/25/89)

From East Central Illinois:  (Urbana)

I believe that this may have been what my wife saw as she was driving
up to pick me up from work.  She was looking due West and saw a set of
objects falling from the sky that left greenish tails that remained for
about half a minute.  There was a cluster of objects more or less
falling together (heading north) with the last appearing being the
brightest and leaving the most persistant tail.

This was all very visible at around 7: or 8: PM local time in fairly
bright city lights.  I believe that this happened Friday night the
20th.

-- Daniel Pommert
   daniel@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

kevin@gtisqr.UUCP (Kevin Bagley) (01/28/89)

In article <7043@june.cs.washington.edu> pablo@uw-june.UUCP (David Cohn) writes:
>Reportedly, it was a derelict Soviet booster re-entering. It was
>visible across maybe 1/3 of the country (no, not here in Seattle,
>though we had a spectacular one like that a couple of years ago).

 Just as a matter of conincidence, there was just recently a daylight
 sighting of a fireball meteor observed by southern Washington (the State)
 and northern Oregon.  Any eye-witnesses out there?  I had the priveledge
 of seeing an extremely impressive fireball meteor about ten years ago
 from Everett Washington.  Duration was several minutes, Flames were
 very obvious, and the meteor broke into four fireballs as it approached
 the horizon. Something my wife and I will never forget.

--
 _____   Kevin Bagley  Global Tech. Int'l Inc., Mukilteo WA 98275  206-742-9111
  )___)  __    _   _   UUCP:uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp!gtisqr!kevin