[sci.space] Manned

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (01/30/89)

In article <107@beaver.cs.washington.edu>, szabonj@minke (Nick Szabo) writes:
> The only reasonable allocation is to spend the money on unmanned projects
> (and research), and forego manned projects until they are affordable,

Ah, but I think one could argue that right now manned projects are as
affordable relative to unmanned projects as they will ever be. People
are not getting cheaper, smarter, lighter, and more reliable every
year. The human "launch window" is open wider today than it will ever
be in the future, assuming we need to _justify_ human presence.
Therefore (seemingly) the best way to insure that people go to space
is to commit to enormously expensive, long-term manned projects.  That
provides several benefits.

1. Unmanned projects get canceled, delayed, and under-funded. This
puts a slightly smaller coefficient on the exponential growth in
unmanned technologies, keeping the justifiable human launch window
open just a bit longer.

2. Large projects develop bureacracies and infrastructures to support
them. When they go over budget, further appropriations are easy to
obtain, to avoid junking the massive existing investment (the
tiger-by-the-tail scenario--also called "double or nothing" in
gambling). This helps in other ways: see number (1).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for humans in space. But I don't think
clinging to some sort of Luddite justification is the fastest way to
get them there. We won't go to space because we are all that necessary
to our robots. We will go because we built the darned things that
paved the way for us to go.

But what do I know.

Cheers,

Dan Mocsny