[sci.space] Summer Jobs at NASA

leif@cs.swarthmore.edu (Leif Kirschenbaum) (01/26/89)

I would like to thank Eugne Miya for his quite helpful list of addresses
of places to apply for summer internships.  I had quite a time getting the
SF-171 to apply; I had to go to Federal Plaza in NYC for it.  I feel
sorry for those who don't live near metropolitan areas where there are
federal offices.  The reason I'm posting is because the reply I received
from NASA Headquarters in Washington D.C. was negative.

Barbara Mayo of Personnel Management informed me that NASA HQ has "not
pasrticipated in the Summer Employment Program at NASA Headquarters for
the last 3 years" so this is to tell who might be interested that one
should not bother writing there.
Fortunately, she did send me a list of the addresses of all NASA offices,
and after a reprint of Eugene's mailing list I include it.

>From: eugene@eos (Eugene Miya)
>Subject: Announcement of Opportunity (NASA Jargon)
>If you are a student looking for employment next summer, NOW is the time to
>prepare a resume and fill out application forms for NASA summer employment.
>A placement office can help.
>
>Unfortunately, each NASA Center is recruiting summer students
>using different policies due to budgetary contraints.
>E.g., some use local Universities to hire summer students,
>others Center are hiring their own.
>
>Standard Form 171.
>To apply for some Centers (and excepting) please fill out a Standard Form 171.
>This is the form used for all employment within the Federal Government.
>
>Marilyn Lane
>Summer Programs
>MS 241-5
>NASA Ames Research Center
>Moffett Field, CA 94035
>
>Duane Patterson
>Personnel Office
>Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>California Institute of Technology
>4800 Oak Grove Dr.
>Pasadena, CA 91109

xxx->Personnel Office
xxx->NASA Headquarters
xxx->Washington DC 20546

>Personnel Office
>NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
>Greenbelt, MD 20771
>
>Personnel Office
>NASA Lewis Research Center
>21000 Brookpark Rd.
>Cleveland, OH 44135
>
>Amy Kennedy
>Mail Code AH3
>NASA Johnson Manned Space Center
>Houston, TX 77058
>
>Personnel Office
>NASA Kennedy Space Flight Center
>Titusville, FL 32899
>
>NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
>Huntsville, AL35812
>They might NOT have a summer employment program (their
>contractors might).  They will have a summer co-op program contact
>Tom Holden
>CM-23
>
>Personnel Office
>MS 174
>NASA Langley Research Center
>Hampton, VA 23665

Dryden Flight Research Facility
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
P.O. Box 273
Edwards, CA 93523
  Site Manager: Mr. Martin A. Knutson
  FTS 8-961-3311; Commercial (805)258-3311
     Hours: 7:30 - 4 PST
  Personnel: 1-805-258-3309

Goddard Institute for Space Studies
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
2880 Broadway
New York, NY 10025
   Head: Dr. James E. Hansen
   FTS 8-664-5500; Commercial (212)678-5500
     Hours: 8-4:30 EST
   Personnel: (212) 675-5500

KSC VLS Resident Office (Vandenberg AFB)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
P.O. Box 425
Lompoc, CA 93438
   Manager: Mr. Ted L. Oglesby
   FTS 8-986-5859; Commercial (805)866-5859
      Hours: 8-4:30 PST
   Personnel: (805)866-5859

Michoud Assembly Facility
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
P.O. Box 29300
New Orleans, LA 70189
   Manager: Mr. John W. Hill
   FTS 8-657-3311; Commercial (504)257-3311
     Hours: 7:30-4 CST
   Personnel: (504)257-3311

Slidell Computer Complex
1010 Gause Boulevard
Slidell, LA 70458
   Manager: Mr. Gene A. Leckie
   FTS 8-680-7200; Commercial (504)646-7200
     Hours: 7:30-4 CST
   Personnel: (504)646-7200

John C. Stennis Space Center
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
NSTL, MS 39529
   Director: Mr. I. Jerry Hlass
   FTS 8-494-2211; Commercial (601)688-2211
     Hours: 8-4:30 CST
   Personnel: (601)688-2211

JSC White Sands Test Facility
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
P.O. Drawer MM
Las Cruces, NM 88004
   Manager: Mr. Rob R. Tillett
   FTS 8-572-5011; Commercial (505)524-5011
     Hours: 7-3:30 MST
   Personnel: (505)524-5771

There may be some typos, but that's it.  I have omitted at least two thirds of
the offices, since they were covered by Eugene's listing.  If anyone wants those
addresses and info. anyway, e-mail me a request.

Leif Kirschenbaum '91	UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax,liberty}!swatsun!leif
Swarthmore College	CS Net: leif@cs.swarthmore.edu
chemical physics major	BitNet: lsk91@swarthmr    or    lsk91@swatprm

"And this is the metric tensor used for Lorentzian transformations, to impress
your friends at cocktail parties." - my Modern Physics professor
--
Leif Kirschenbaum '91
Swarthmore College

leif@cs.swarthmore.edu (Leif Kirschenbaum) (01/30/89)

I have come into possession of an Announcemnet of Opportunity (NASA)
which asks for proposals for payloads to be mounted on the truss of
the Space Station.
  In Appendix A of the AO there is a brief description of the SS.
The payloads will be mounted on the 15m truss between the two alpha joints.
This truss will also support the U.S. lab and habitation modules and
the Japanese and European lab modules.

  The question I have is this:  What's an alpha joint and how does it work?
It was mentioned that the space station would have a constant attitude toward
the direction of flight, and I think it was mentioned that the solar panels
would re-orient to always face the sun.  Does this mean the alpha joints are
where the solar panels turn to face the sun (see diag.)?
How is this accomplished? (i.e. turning the panels and not the station)

   ##                     ##
   ##    p    m m    p    ##
   ##    p    m m    p    ##

The p'a are payloads, the m's are modules (approximately located),
the #'s are the solar panels, and the two +'s are the alpha joints.