[sci.space] Info on High-Power rocket launch: August '89 in Colorado.

wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) (01/31/89)

Reading this announcement and description of activities brought to mind
an interesting idea: We had been extensively discussing, in past months,
the possible use of those Pershing II missiles now being destroyed as
part of the arms-limitation agreements. What better PR for the Army than
to take one or two of those Pershings to this meet and set them off for
the entertainment of the attendees? This would also allow the budding
rocketeers to meet the Soviet observers and some of the actual hands-on
military missile people, so it would be good "glasnost" PR for the USSR
and a recruiting aid for the US.

I guess the only thing that could give this a negative result is for the
Pershing(s) they take to be duds or to be defective... Since they don't
seem to have had any problems in destroying them up to now, that doesn't
appear likely.

Hmmm... Maybe I should write this up as a DA suggestion...

Regards, Will Martin

rfc@briar.philips.com (Robert Casey;6282;3.57;$0201) (02/02/89)

Too bad that we couldn't have used some of these Pershing missile rockets to
fly some sort of science payload (can they orbit something?).  Have the
Russians look at the payload and satisfy themselves that it is non-military
and share the science data.  Just an idea...

rjungcla@ihlpb.ATT.COM (R. M. Jungclas) (02/02/89)

>Reading this announcement and description of activities brought to mind
>an interesting idea: We had been extensively discussing, in past months,
>the possible use of those Pershing II missiles now being destroyed as
>part of the arms-limitation agreements. What better PR for the Army than
>to take one or two of those Pershings to this meet and set them off for
>the entertainment of the attendees? This would also allow the budding
>rocketeers to meet the Soviet observers and some of the actual hands-on
>military missile people, so it would be good "glasnost" PR for the USSR
>and a recruiting aid for the US.

I'm positive that the attendees for any LDRS (Large and Dangerous Rocket
Ship) meet will enjoy this, but because of regulatory concerns there
are "rules" in place that are intended to prevent the mixing of
professional/high power/model rockets.  For example, model rockets
and high power rockets are NOT SUPPOSE to be flown from same site
within any 24 hour period. These rules are intended to keep a distinction
in the minds of the public (and public officials). There are other
impications from the "24 hour" rule that I won't discuss here.

R. Michael Jungclas                    UUCP:      att!ihlpb!rjungcla
AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville, IL.       Internet:  rjungcla@ihlpb.att.com

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (02/02/89)

In article <Added.4XtQhoy00Ui3AIQk8=@andrew.cmu.edu>, wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) writes:
> part of the arms-limitation agreements. What better PR for the Army than
> to take one or two of those Pershings to this meet and set them off for
> the entertainment of the attendees? This would also allow the budding
> rocketeers to meet the Soviet observers and some of the actual hands-on
> military missile people, so it would be good "glasnost" PR for the USSR
> and a recruiting aid for the US.

I may be a little naive, but sending up a pershing missile, even in this
day and age of Glasnost, I would think that the russians would view thi
this as being just a little questionable... I dont think that the powers that be
would be amenable to this sort of experiment.

Keith Elliston

uunet!rob!elliston