[sci.space] GEOS-6 dies.

ota+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Ted Anderson) (01/26/89)

From the Tuesday January 24, 1989 New York Times, page 22 reproduces without
permission and without comment.

                      "Weather Satellite Dies of 'Old Age'"
  Washington, Jan 23 (AP) - A satellite that provided cloud pictures for
television weather forecasts failed Saturday, depriving customers of views of
the Western United States, officials said.
  The failure occurred aboard GEOS-6, a National Oceanographic and Atmospheric
Administration satellite that was launched in April 1983, said Milton Mortman, a
shift supervisor at the agency's satellite operations control center.
  "It's just old age," he said.
  Al Brown, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service, said weather
map-making would be little affected because forecasters rely most on data
gathered from the ground.
  He said partial pictures can be provided from a companion satellite, GEOS-7,
which covers the Eastern United States.
  "Eventually we will move the eastern satellite over so it can cover the entire
country," Mr. Brown said.  Mr. Mortman said that maneuver would be completed
around Feb. 21.
  Until the satellite is moved, weather watching will also be augmented by other
existing satellites operated by NOAA and by satellites from the European and
Japanese space agencies, said Thomas N. Pyke Jr., NOAA's assistant administrator
for satellite and information services.
  NOAA said GEOS-7 would perform double duty for about 18 months, until the next
GEOS satellite is expected to be ready for launching.

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (02/02/89)

In the Jan 31 issue of the San Jose Mercury-News, page 1E, there is a story
on the failure of GOES-6 which reveals the following information:

"The aging GOES-6 satellite, which for over five years has snapped weather
pictures day and night, was forced into retirement 10 days ago when a crucial
light bulb in one of its components burnt out."

and later:

"But some satellites have suffered repeated problems with the light bulbs in
an instrument the satellite uses to keep itself oriented."

A light bulb?  I'm surprised.  That's like hearing a piece of string broke
or a rubber band snapped.  Does anybody have more specific information on
what this lightbulb was being used for?

While I'm on the subject of crudely-built satellites, you may be interested
to know there is a twin of the Telstar satellite in the main lobby of
Bell Labs, Murray Hill, New Jersey.  When I first saw this thing, I was
amazed how klugey it looked.  It looks like it's held together by solder.

There is sort of a little museum there.  The first transistor is there, as
well as an old copy of the NY Times which has the first description of
negative-feedback amplifiers scribbled in the margin.  There are a number
of automated displays, where you push a button and a demonstration takes
place.  About half the displays are out-of-order!  What a great advertisement
for AT&T!

In article <14215@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>"But some satellites have suffered repeated problems with the light bulbs in
>an instrument the satellite uses to keep itself oriented."
>
>A light bulb?  I'm surprised.  That's like hearing a piece of string broke
>or a rubber band snapped.  Does anybody have more specific information on
>what this lightbulb was being used for?

As I recall, it's part of a sensor that encodes the position of rotating
parts in the satellite's scanner system.  Those bulbs are a notorious
reliability problem that is being designed out of more recent satellites;
even putting several of them in each encoder for redundancy hasn't brought
their reliability up to acceptable levels.
--
Allegedly heard aboard Mir: "A |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
toast to comrade Van Allen!!"  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

sw@whuts.ATT.COM (WARMINK) (02/09/89)

In article <1989Feb9.013228.965@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> As I recall, it's part of a sensor that encodes the position of rotating
> parts in the satellite's scanner system.  Those bulbs are a notorious
> reliability problem that is being designed out of more recent satellites;

There must be a good reason why LEDs weren't used - 6 years plus isn't that
long ago...anybody know why not?

"PENTAGON OFFICIALS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT  |  Stuart Warmink, Interface Systems
AN ANTIMATTER SHORTAGE"  ("WHAT'S NEW")  |  <att!>whuts!sw Whippany NJ USA
-----------> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer <-----------

frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) (02/10/89)

In article <5352@whuts.ATT.COM>, sw@whuts.ATT.COM (WARMINK) writes:
> In article <1989Feb9.013228.965@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> > As I recall, it's part of a sensor that encodes the position of rotating
> > parts in the satellite's scanner system.  Those bulbs are a notorious
> > reliability problem that is being designed out of more recent satellites;
>
> There must be a good reason why LEDs weren't used - 6 years plus isn't that
> long ago...anybody know why not?

My understanding is they emit RF in the GHZ range.  That's also why they aren't
usually employed in ECM equipment.  (But, as usual, I'm probably wrong. :^)   )

In article <5352@whuts.ATT.COM> sw@whuts.ATT.COM (WARMINK) writes:
>> ... Those bulbs are a notorious
>> reliability problem that is being designed out of more recent satellites...
>
>There must be a good reason why LEDs weren't used - 6 years plus isn't that
>long ago...anybody know why not?

Semiconductors can take quite a while to become space-qualified, and there
is considerable reluctance to change a design that seems to work all right.
I think it was only in the last few years that it was understood that the
bulbs were a systematic weakness.

Also, don't forget that the bird may have been built well before it was
launched -- it's not uncommon to build a batch of satellites and then keep
the last few on the ground until they're needed.

The more recent encoder designs do use LEDs.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (02/11/89)

In article <5352@whuts.ATT.COM> sw@whuts.ATT.COM (WARMINK) writes:
>There must be a good reason why LEDs weren't used - 6 years plus isn't that
>long ago...anybody know why not?

On the most recent, GEOS-7, the 4 encoder light bulbs were replaced with
two bulbs and two LEDs.  It would seem that this would be done out of some
concern that the LEDs might fail, so there are some light bulbs included.
On the other hand, the LEDs might work fine, in which case two of them should
outlast the light bulbs.  I haven't heard anything about it, so I guess that
everything is working fine.  Thus, I would expect all subsequent GEOS to
use LEDs.

marcus hall
marcus@illusion.UUCP