[sci.space] Space travel and the human spirit

macleod@drivax.DRI (MacLeod) (02/07/89)

Paul Dietz and I discuss manned space flight:

In article <4239@drivax.DRI> macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:

:>I'm 36, and I'd trade the rest of my life for one LEO, assuming I could
:>take a stack of (old) Yes and Vangelis CDs along.  Quality, not quantity,
:>makes a life well-lived.
:
:Your current life is so unpleasant that you'd sacrifice your remaining
:decades for one 90 minute orbit?  Why, this is hell, nor are you out
:of it.  And my condolences to your would-be widow and children, if they
:exist.

I didn't say this just to be provocative; it is true.  I do believe that I am
an extreme case who has tried to examine his feelings, and that there
exist others who share such sentiments to greater or lesser degrees.  I
wanted to speak for them as well.  Can you not imagine a feeling so sublime
that you would trade any other experience for it?

:>Some individuals experience extreme emotions, bordering on the "religious",
:>when contemplating the entry of man into space.  I do believe that it is
:>spiritual, of the *human* spirit, in the most sublime sense: it is something
:>no animal would ever do, nor could it want to.
:
:Um, let's not commit the common philosophical error of confusing the
:individual with mankind in general.  It is consistent for me to
:believe that people will eventually live in space and yet still think
:that it would be pointless for me, personally, to travel there.

I'm not sure we understand each other here.  My purpose in my posting was
only secondarily to say that men >should< go into space because men >want< to
go into space; my primary purpose was just to affirm that the desire can be
pretty overwhelming.  I mentioned in passing that I thought that such desires
were ordinate to man as a being, and so rational.

:By the way, how would *your* going into space help achieve any goals,
:other than purely personal ones?

I was only talking about purely personal goals, so my apologies if I mislead
readers.  Still, I think it will be a good thing when artists and writers and
poets are able to visit space and return their impressions to the rest of us.

:>The fundamentally conservative values of those who oppose manned space flight:>are not to be questioned.
:
:Once again, it should be noted that opposing manned spaceflight IN THE
:PRESENT (or, more precisely, opposing the appropriation of public
:funds to pay for manned spaceflight) does not mean opposing manned
:spaceflight for all time.  Nor is it obviously true that manned
:spaceflight right now is necessary or even helpful in achieving
:a longterm goal of moving mankind into space.
:
:I hope my values -- whatever you perceive them to be -- are not above
:question.

:	Paul F. Dietz
:	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

All true, and my comment about conservative values was kind of a cheap shot.
I have great respect for Mr. Dietz, and know him to be a thoughtful and
careful writer, and it bothers me to disagree with him, even if the
disagreement is superficial.  I do not support the use of government funds
for manned space flight, or any space program for that matter.   I don't
believe that my personal feelings - or anybody else's - are relevant to the
political and economic questions of how to get the best value for investments
in space research.  I >do< believe that such emotions and the lack of them
are relevant to the larger questions of why man should or should not venture
personally into space, and why men should pursue goals of this type in the
first place, where these questions are considered on their own merits and not
on current feasibility.  Again, my apologies if this was not clear from my

Michael Sloan MacLeod  (amdahl!drivax!macleod)

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (02/08/89)

In article <4246@drivax.DRI>, macleod@drivax.DRI (MacLeod) writes:
> Paul Dietz and I discuss manned space flight:
>
> :>I do believe that it is
> :>spiritual, of the *human* spirit, in the most sublime sense: it is something
> :>no animal would ever do, nor could it want to.
> :
> :  It is consistent for me to
> :believe that people will eventually live in space and yet still think
> :that it would be pointless for me, personally, to travel there.
>
> My purpose in my posting was
> only secondarily to say that men >should< go into space because men >want< to
> go into space....

I couldn't resist any longer.  From the standpoint of pure feasibility,
Paul Dietz is of course correct.  From the standpoint of mankind's innate
spirit of adventure [ok, innate for SOME of us  :-) ], arguements FOR
manned spaceflight are valid.

No, I don't believe I have just presented conflicting views.  Look at some
examples:  Columbus' voyage could be argued as one of as much adventure as
economics.  Why do people climb mountains? Especially Mt. Everest?  After
all, it's been conquered in just about every conceivable way, but still
people make the attempt.  Is there new knowledge gained?  No.  Some people
are merely driven to new experiences.  But not all people.  I, for one,
have no desire to experience the thrill of skydiving.  After all, why
voluntarily leap from an airplane that is still flying?  Nor do I wish to
take up bullfighting.  Nor would I climb Everest.  But there are some who
want to do those things, and more.  I am no more justified in saying that
they shouldn't do these things as someone is in condemning a desire to travel
in space, so long as these adventures don't cost me anything.  (In fact, one
could argue that the general public is willing to pay so long as the
entertainment value holds out.)

I cannot condemn Paul for making his arguements.  Economically, they are
correct, and the US Constitution guarantees him the right to say what he
thinks.  I do have one thing to say, however:

Paul, (and others against manned spaceflight);
Please use a little discretion in your arguements; try not to come across
with the attitude of "it's not economical; therefore it's a waste of time
to even think about doing."  Such thinking is a sure way to kill dreams,
and if we have no dreams, we are little more than human automata.  It is
the people who hold the dreams that will find a way to eventually refute
the objections to them.  They know, from examining the cold hard facts, that
your arguements are correct.  Still, they cling to a dream.  Let's not
take that dream away.

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah

standard disclaimer implied

kpmancus@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Keith P. Mancus) (02/09/89)

In article <27@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) writes:

>No, I don't believe I have just presented conflicting views.  Look at some
>examples:  Columbus' voyage could be argued as one of as much adventure as
>economics.

	From Columbus' standpoint, yes.  There are no shortages of
would-be Columbuses in the US, or even in this newsgroup.  But for
Queen Isabella, the voyage was primarily a question of economics.  There
was a certain amount of national prestige involved, but while that might
have justified one voyage (i.e. Apollo), it was the economic incentives
that caused the Spanish to return again and again to the New World.
There _is_ a shortage of Queen Isabellas today, although the infant
private launch industry is a good sign.

	Frankly, I used to be a hard-core man-in-space enthusiast.
I still think that that is the desirable eventual goal, but the more
I've thought about it, the more I've realized that _I_, personally, have
potentially more to gain from the unmanned programs.  I have essentially
zero chance of becoming an astronaut, unless large colonies are started
in the next 25 years (very unlikely).  After spending 4 years studying a
relevant subject (aero engineering) in a prestigious school and getting
reasonable grades, I'm having trouble just getting into NASA/JPL at all.
In the near future, we stand to learn more tangible science and
intangibles about the position of Man in the universe from the unmanned
program, which is massively underfunded.  Men *are* involved in the
"unmanned" program, _more_ men more intimately wrapped up in exploration.
Let's not kill it by apathy or too much focus on manned missions.
-Keith Mancus <kpmancus@phoenix.princeton.edu>  <- preferred
              <kpmancus@pucc.BITNET>

steve@umigw.MIAMI.EDU (steve emmerson) (02/09/89)

C. Kluksdahl) writes:

>Paul, (and others against manned spaceflight);
>Please use a little discretion in your arguements; try not to come across
>with the attitude of "it's not economical; therefore it's a waste of time
>to even think about doing."  ...

I fear Mr. Kluksdahl misunderstands Mr. Dietz's position.  The argument
as I appreciate it, is not against the idea of manned spaceflight, but
rather against the manner of its funding.  I believe Mr. Dietz believes that
the unmanned space program is much more efficient, in terms of scientific
return-on-investment, than the manned space program.  The combination of
this belief with the the observations that:

    * both programs are publicly funded;

	* the manned space program is preferentially funded (to the detriment
	  of the unmanned);

and the opinion that public funds are a scarce resource and likely to
remain so in the near future, has led Mr. Dietz to conclude that
It would be wise to adjust their relative funding levels.

I don't recall Mr. Dietz ever arguing against private funding of a manned
space program as being a waste of time.

(Paul, please feel free to correct me).
--
Steve Emmerson                     Inet: steve@umigw.miami.edu [128.116.10.1]
SPAN: miami::emmerson (host 3074::)      emmerson%miami.span@star.stanford.edu

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (02/09/89)

In article <211@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> steve@umigw.miami.edu (steve emmerson) writes:

>I don't recall Mr. Dietz ever arguing against private funding of a manned
>space program as being a waste of time.
>
>(Paul, please feel free to correct me).

Well, I don't feel private funding of a manned space program would be
a terribly wise way to invest one's money, but I have no problem with
those who have strongly different feelings spending their own money
any way they see fit.  If you're out to make money I suggest unmanned
is a better idea.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (02/09/89)

In article <211@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, steve@umigw.MIAMI.EDU (steve emmerson) writes:
> In article <27@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman
> C. Kluksdahl) writes:
>
> >Paul, (and others against manned spaceflight);
> >Please use a little discretion in your arguements; try not to come across
> >with the attitude of "it's not economical; therefore it's a waste of time
> >to even think about doing."  ...
>
> I fear Mr. Kluksdahl misunderstands Mr. Dietz's position.  The argument
> as I appreciate it, is not against the idea of manned spaceflight, but
> rather against the manner of its funding.
> I don't recall Mr. Dietz ever arguing against private funding of a manned
> space program as being a waste of time.

Ah, but I DO understand the position of Paul Dietz regarding manned vs.
unmanned, and the current funding levels of each.  There are LOTS of things
which unmanned probes can accomplish which manned missions are not even close
to being capable of doing.  I NEVER implied that Paul or anyone else for that
matter were totally against ever attempting manned spaceflight.  We can look
at the Soviet BURAN flight for examples of what can be accomplished byh
a sophisticated unmanned flight.  The Solar Max satellite was ailing; the US
fix was to send up a manned shuttle and repair it (but only temporarily).
My impression of the Soviet program is that they would have either just
launched a new satellite, or COULD HAVE used Buran in an unmanned, teleoperated
mode, to retrieve the existing satellite, which would have been repaired on
the ground, then re-deployed (probably on an expendable).  There is nothing
in this latter scenario which requires men in space, nor is it beyond current
technological capability.

I realize that I walked into the fire, but some things seem to have been taken
out of context.  1)  I admitted up front that economic arguements currently
weigh against manned flight.  2)  I did (IMHO) make reference to the
'entertainment' factor, which is more favorable to manned missions, but is NOT
by itself justification.  Perhaps I COULD have been more clear in stating that
the arguements were against heavy government funding of manned programs (after
all, what incentive does any government have to make something less expensive?
But that's another subject!).

What I refer to is precisely the discouragement of privately funded programs,
which I doubt anyone should oppose.  After all, if I can gather x Million
dollars, who are you to tell me how to spend it.  Some people, who are very
bright and have good ideas, might possibly be turned off of their dreams of
cheap manned spaceflight.  This would be criminal if they were the same ones
who otherwise would have been the leaders in establishing the desired cheap
access to space, which would then permit massive manned programs.

After all, "for want of a nail...."

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah

standard disclaimer implied

hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) (02/10/89)

Michael Sloan MacLeod and Paul F. Dietz have been discussing humans going into
space for several posting.  I find it amusing that neither of them expects to
actually go into space.  *I* (at 47) expect not only to go into space, but to
travel to the stars.  True, this will take more than a standard lifetime, but
so what?  Progress (much of it being made within 50 miles of where I live) in
the fabrication of ever smaller computers parts will take only a few decades
to reach the size scale where molecular repairs can be made to human cells.
There is no reason those who make it to that time should *ever* have to die,
and the same technology will reduce the cost of just about everthing to that
of firewood (grow your own spaceship).  Anybody want to join in planning a
party on the far side of the galaxy?  H. Keith Henson, a Founder of L5

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (02/12/89)

In article <14484@cup.portal.com>, hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) writes:
> *I* (at 47) expect not only to go into space, but to
> travel to the stars.
> ...  Progress (much of it being made within 50 miles of where I live) in
> the fabrication of ever smaller computers parts will take only a few decades
> to reach the size scale where molecular repairs can be made to human cells.
> There is no reason those who make it to that time should *ever* have to die,
> and the same technology will reduce the cost of just about everthing to that
> of firewood (grow your own spaceship).

I hope you're right, because dying is not something I want to be
around for when it happens. But I think the race against the clock is
going to be tight for most of us. At 47 years can expect anywhere from
2-4 decades of further existence if you avoid accidents, homicide, and
disease.  Will that be enough time? No doubt our
information-processing and nano-fabrication technologies are moving
forward, but cellular repair on the scale you envision is an
exceedingly complex problem. In the past four decades our computers
have improved by six orders of magnitude in terms of raw processing
power available from a given input of material and energy.

Assuming this progress can continue, we will have another million-fold
improvement in next four decades. Will that be enough? Keep in mind
that our ability to fully exploit computer hardware lags
significantly, by perhaps a decade or two. The human genome has a raw
information content of ca. 1 GB. Significant advances in software must
occur before we can develop algorithms that can meaningfully work this
kind of information, irrespective of how much processing power is
available. Our progress in software has been arithmetic, not
exponential.  Many commercial packages are still written in assembler.
Finally, unless geneticists make real progress, they don't expect to
be able to map the human genome, let alone fiddle with it
comprehensively, for several decades.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that what you say will eventually
happen. Immortality, recreational space travel, and unimaginable
personal wealth should follow naturally from mature
information-processing capability. But within 2--3 decades?
I'm not sure we could make the necessary cultural adjustments that
quickly, even if the technology became feasible (i.e., what is to
stop such tools from becoming forces for destruction?). Even now,
we cannot seem to organize society to take full advantage of the
present potential of computers.

Finally, what little I know of the thermodynamics of irreversible
processes leads me to the hunch that immortality will be much easier
to confer on the young than on the old. Diseases are always far
simpler to cure when caught early. Aging is probably a profound
example of this. I could see genetically-engineered aging-resistant
children in the next 3 decades. But to fix someone with massive
cellular damage already in place?

(My apologies to reader who feel this subject is straying from space.
I feel that the impact of information technologies on the eventual
privatization of space will be profound.)

Cheers,

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu

"Prophecy is difficult, especially with respect to the future."