[sci.space] Manned vs unmanned space exploration

roberts@CMR.ICST.NBS.GOV (John Roberts) (02/10/89)

>From: cs.utexas.edu!sm.unisys.com!csun!polyslo!jmckerna@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

>The point I've reiterated for three postings now is that manned space R&D is
>important, so if the money can be found it must be persued, even though it
>is much more expensive than unmanned. Unmanned space R&D is just as important
>and so must be persued too, though with less money because a productive
>program requires less.
>John L. McKernan.                    Student, Computer Science, Cal Poly S.L.O.

This seems like a reasonable argument, though the precise numbers are open
to debate. I would like to see a slightly larger percentage spent on
unmanned exploration, but the US is under intense pressure to catch up to
the USSR in manned exploration. (Usually not stated is the point that there
may be certain situations in which it makes the most economic sense to
have few or no launches for an extended period in order to concentrate on
the development of better technologies, with time for learning by experience
later on. Humans are generally impatient, and want some kind of results NOW,
if not sooner.)

A problem arises when things are set up so all launches are manned launches,
to keep the astronauts occupied and to further justify manned launches. This
was largely the case before the Challenger explosion, the result being that
exploration, military, and communications payloads were dependent on manned
launches. I hope this is less true now. I think it could be argued that
manned exploration for the time being should concentrate on adapting humans
to space and on things that humans can do more efficiently than remote
devices. Manned space travel at present is largely an investment in
developing an expanded capability for more extensive missions in the future.

A question to those who feel that all current space exploration should be
unmanned: The US and the USSR have both sent out a fair number of unmanned
scientific probes, but it is my impression that the US is ahead, or at
least even, on the development and deployment of advanced scientific probes.
On the other hand, the USSR has placed a much greater emphasis on manned
missions, and many people claim that the US is "hopelessly behind" in
space exploration, citing as their chief argument the higher average human
occupation of space by the Soviets. Is the USSR wasting its money? And if
manned exploration for its own sake is insignificant, is the US really
not all that far behind?

A further philosophical question: Postulate some group (the USSR,
extrasolar aliens, etc.) which through exploration has acquired all the
information on space that US space science would be likely to obtain
in the next century or two. Assume this group is willing to sell this
information to the US at a rate far lower than the cost for the US to
obtain it by actual exploration, so low that it would not place any
strain on the US budget. Further assume that the US has agreed to buy
this information. Now, what should be the future course of action for
the US? Possibilities:
   1) Cancel future US exploration to save money.
   2) Buy the information, but continue to explore, just to have something
      to do, or to prove that we can do it.
   3) Concentrate on human presence in space and/or exploitation of space
      resources.

This is just a question about what people would prefer if the acquisition
of information were no longer an issue. Given these conditions, I think
I would vote for (3).
                                   John Roberts
                                   roberts@cmr.icst.nbs.gov

szabonj@fin (Nick Szabo) (02/10/89)

In article <8902100153.AA02978@cmr.icst.nbs.gov> roberts@CMR.ICST.NBS.GOV (John Roberts) writes:

>>From: cs.utexas.edu!sm.unisys.com!csun!polyslo!jmckerna@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
>>The point I've reiterated for three postings now is that manned space R&D is
>>important, so if the money can be found it must be persued, even though it
>>is much more expensive than unmanned. Unmanned space R&D is just as important
>>and so must be persued too, though with less money because a productive
>>program requires less.
>>John L. McKernan.                    Student, Computer Science, Cal Poly S.L.O.
>
>This seems like a reasonable argument

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????????????
Two posters now have advocated putting money in *unproductive* ventures,
for the very reason that they are unproductive, and skimping on productive
ventures!  This sort of thinking scares the bejeebers out of folks who are
considering investing their money in space.

Space cannot flourish as a welfare case.  Space settlement will not
come about through ten-plus-billion-dollar ventures which lack both short-term
and long-term rationale.  Government-funded, diverse research and exploration,
paralleled by private use of its fruits, makes both historical and economic
sense, in both the short- and long- terms.

Every private industry we have in space--communications, remote sensing,
navigation, etc.--is teleoperated, and is the result of unmanned spaceflight
research. This will remain largely true until such time as the unmanned program
provides the discoveries (of ET resources) and technology (mining,
manufacturing, etc.) needed to develop self-sustaining space habitats.

>the USSR has placed a much greater emphasis on manned
>missions, and many people claim that the US is "hopelessly behind" in
>space exploration, citing as their chief argument the higher average human
>occupation of space by the Soviets.

The USSR does *not* place more emphasis on manned missions; they place more
emphasis on space in general.  Their proportion of manned spaceflights is
lower than that of the US.  They send far fewer (percentagewise) missions
beyond Earth orbit--perhaps a greater emphasis on military (short-term) at the
expense of scientific research (long-term).   Also note that Soviet
teleoperation is primitive--witness what happened to their Phobos probes.

> Is the USSR wasting its money?

Maybe, maybe not.  They are definitely making advances in nuclear-powered
radars to detect our subs.  They have ASATs, an ABM ring around Moscow,
an aggressive SDI research program, and a heavy-lift booster that can
be mass-produced.  If the Soviets are going to take control of space,
these are the relevant technologies.  Mir is dramatic but unimportant.
The Soviets are much farther away than the West from widely exploring deep
space, or settling space on a self-sustaining basis.

Nick Szabo              szabonj@fred.cs.washington.edu

kpmancus@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Keith P. Mancus) (02/12/89)

> A question to those who feel that all current space exploration should be
> unmanned: The US and the USSR have both sent out a fair number of unmanned
> scientific probes, but it is my impression that the US is ahead, or at
> least even, on the development and deployment of advanced scientific probes.
> On the other hand, the USSR has placed a much greater emphasis on manned
> missions, and many people claim that the US is "hopelessly behind" in
> space exploration, citing as their chief argument the higher average human
> occupation of space by the Soviets. Is the USSR wasting its money? And if
> manned exploration for its own sake is insignificant, is the US really
> not all that far behind?
>                                    roberts@cmr.icst.nbs.gov

	Well, I am not one of those who feels that *ALL* current exploration
should be unmanned, but I'll answer you question:  we are dreadfully
far behind in unmanned exploration.  Admittedly the Soviets seem to have
a much higher probe failure rate than we do, but at least they are
moving forward.  Where was the U.S. probe of Halley's comet?  Why are
Galileo and the Space Telescope still on the ground?  When is Cassini
going up?
	Some of these were delayed by the idiotic dependence the Shuttle as
the launcher; some were cancelled due to lack of funds; some are going
to be highly impractical to implement because our lack of big boosters
forces tricks like *double* gravity whips via Jupiter and Venus to get
to the destination.  (This was said by Professor Meese, currently
teaching a course in space flight engineering.  He formerly worked at
JPL.)  Also, funding for unmanned exploration is very hard to get.

-Keith Mancus <kpmancus@phoenix.princeton.edu>  <- preferred
              <kpmancus@pucc.BITNET>