[sci.space] NSS Hotline Update

jordankatz@cdp.UUCP (02/11/89)

This is the NSS's Space Hotline for the week ending 2/10/89.

In last Thursday's state of the union address President George Bush stated
that the space program must proceed at "Full Throttle Up, That's not just our
ambition, it's our destiny.", and wants the space program to receive a $2.4
billion increase over the current fiscal year.  He committed to a permanently
manned space station, strong safe space shuttle system, mission to planet
earth, and increased commercial space activities.  NASA's Chief Administrator
James Fletcher was pleased that the president supports the space station and
the civil space program.

Thursday the Senate Science Technology and Space Subcommittee held its first
hearings of the year.  Testimony given by NASA Administrator James Fletcher
stated  that the $13 billion dollar fiscal year 1990 budget approved by the
Reagan office of budget management will not be enough to keep both the
shuttle and the space station programs on track.  Sen. Albert Gore (D-Tenn.)
chairman of the subcommittee agreed that the fiscal year 1990 budget is
barely enough to implement NASA's ongoing programs.  Fletcher stated that
NASA needs at least $1 billion more in fiscal year 1990 in order to proceed
with the planned shuttle manifest, shuttle hardware improvements, the space
station and other projects.

Additionally Fletcher testified that 45% of NASA's rocket scientists,
engineers and key support personnel will be retiring over the next two years.
The fact that congress rejected the 51% pay raise that would be extended to
many government officials has turned this problem into a catastrophe for
NASA.  He stated many top employees stayed on after the Challenger Disaster
out of loyalty to the country and the space program, but are now ready to
bail out.  Fletcher reported that moral at NASA is pretty low among most of
the young and old people.

In addition Rear Admiral Richard Truly testified before the subcommittee that
the explosion that wiped out a critical rocket fuel plant last may will cause
solid rocket fuel shortages this year but the shuttle program will not be
effected.

At Kennedy Space Center launch pad 39B last week the Crew of the Discovery
performed a practice countdown and rehearsed emergency escape procedures.
During the flawless countdown crews performed voice checks, and engineers
displayed the ability to make last minuet program changes in the orbiters
computer system.

Possibly cracked Oxidizing Turbo Pumps were removed from Discovery's main
engines as the STS-29 crew looked on.  New pumps were successfully tested at
Stenis Space Center and are due to arrive at Kennedy Space Center next week.

Crews successfully loaded the Tracking Data Relay Satellite into Discovery's
payload bay last monday, and began performing several communication test
between the satellite and ground control systems.

The loading of propellent into Discovery's various power systems and storage
tanks, went off with out any major problems reported.

Meanwhile in the Vehicle Assembly Building.....

Work continues on Atlantis, preparing it and it's payload for their April
28th launch.  As of today all three main engines were installed in the
orbiter.  Engineers attached solar panels to the Magellan Venus Radar Mapper
Probe and tested them with very high illumination electric lights.

On the Columbia power up tests continue, while checking of the main
propulsion systems, navigation system and communication systems are planned.

The Air Force is getting ready to launch their new McDonald Douglas Delta II
expendable launch vehicle.  The expendable launch vehicle will be launched
at 1:42pm EST Sat. Feb. 11, and will place into orbit the first navstar
geopositioning navigation satellite.  The launch will take place at complex
17 at the cape canaveral Air Force Base.

Examination of the space shuttle solid rocket boost that was test fired last
week has thus far shown that there have been no gas leaks from its O-rings.
Two more joints remain to be examined.

Vice President Quayle can't get space experts to staff the 7 member national
space council of which he is chairman.  AeroSpace Industry leaders are
concerned that council will be ineffective, unless it is staffed soon. Some
of those who have been interview but withdrew them selves from the running
are Courtny Stadd-Former director of the commerce office of commercial space
flight, Kenneth Pedersen-NASA associate administrator for external relations,
and Fredrick "Rick" Hauck-who commanded Dicovery's mission last fall.

The Congressional Budget Office in a proposal to slash the budget deficit
recommend canceling the current space station in order to save $16 Billion
per year in the fiscal year 1990-1994 budgets.  An cheaper alternative to
cancelation would be a modest series of extended manned shuttle/spacelab
flights, and intermittently tended facilities.

A report put forth by the commercial space advisory board (industry
officials) stated the primary problem with commercial space industry is
instability of US government space policy.  The report notes that Federal
Agency bickering over who is to assume what role, and the fact that none of
Reagan's commercial incentives taken been seriously.

JPL researcher have taken a compilation of mars picture and elevation data
(returned by the viking probes) and crunched it all together in one of the
worlds most powerful computers.  The result is five minuet 3-D tour of a
selected area of the martian surface.  The computer graphic simulation took
37 days (24 hrs.) of supercomputer time to generate one of the 3500 frames
that make up the short, each frame represents about 1 million bits of data.
The tour is set to the Music of Gustav Holst's The Planets.  VHS and Beta
versions will be sold for $35.95.

At Star City Russia, 10 Cosmonauts are training for future flights on the
Mir space station while 7 others are training to fly the soviet space shuttle
Buran.  Buran's next flight could be manned but decision have not made yet,
the spacecraft still being tested and inspected to determine if its safe for
manned flight.  It was reviled the back in 1984 a crew of 3 women were to
have flown on Salyut 7, but the male backup crew went instead.  No women will
fly this year, and none are training.

The next update will be on 2/17/89.

In article <246900003@cdp> jordankatz@cdp.UUCP writes:
>...Additionally Fletcher testified that 45% of NASA's rocket scientists,
>engineers and key support personnel will be retiring over the next two years.
>...Fletcher reported that moral at NASA is pretty low among most of
>the young and old people.

Hardly a big surprise, considering how the NASA bureaucracy has expanded in
recent years -- the competent people are drowning in a swamp of supervisors.
The supervisor:worker ratio is roughly double what it was during Apollo.

Now, if 45% of the *managers* retired, that would probably pick up morale
immensely, not to mention productivity...
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu