[sci.space] Space Resources

chris@spock (Chris Ott) (02/09/89)

Sorry if this is a re-post, but the article didn't go through the first
time.

Boy! Are you tired of hearing the same old arguments going around about the
same old topic, using the same old metaphors?
I believe we need to speed things up a bit, don't you.

PREPARE YOURSELF!

The following ideas may be hazardous to your DOGMA!

I make no excuse for my utopianism and my optimism.
We are running out of time, so somebody has to do it!
And I'm getting tired od people arguing abd worrying about the future
instead of creating it. Anyway.

HERE WE GO!

Limits? I see no present evidence of limits? A limit can only be proved
completly and beyond a shawdow of a doubt, after it has been tested an
infinite amount of time, under an infinite number of conditions, forever.

Re: Space - Everything should be happening in space.
    Everything that can be done on Earth can be done in space much more
    efficiently and cheaply. All modes of gravity can be simulated in space.
    All temperatures; all manufacturing.

    In the book "Interstellar Migration and the Human Experience", David
    Criswell, Ph.D, demonstrates that there are enough resources in the
    asteroid belt to construct an extremely massive infra-structure
    consisting of 40 trillion people with 40,000 trillion tons of supporting
    structure, occupying aporx. 1 billion cubic km - which is 1 millionth of
    the space available in the L4 and L5 regions alone! All of these people
    could be in contact via laser communication with 0.2 seconds in one
    L-volume and aprox 1 second to the other L-volume and Earth. Since space
    is frictionless, transportation between any two points in this matrix
    would be almost nothing. This would end phase 1 of Solar system
    development according to Criswell.

      He goes on to talk about phases 2 and 3 which would hinge upon the
    theoretical technology (perhaps extremely high energy lasers) to
    dismantle the outer planets, and then mine the sun. He has shown that
    it would be theoretically possible to convert the sun into a white
    dwarf, which would extend the lifetime of SOL 1,115 times. He calls
    this process, "Stellar Lifting".

        Using stellar lifting as a away of collecting the higher elements,
    Criswell shows that a civilization consiting of 10(16) - 10(21) power
    humans on a surface area equivalent to 1 billion earths would be
    possible. This civilization, due to Sol's extended lifetime, would have
    a potential lifespan of at least 10 trillion years. All of this is
    possible within the solar system.

    What limits?

    When I log on again, I will talk about nanotechnology, zero-point energy,
    immortality, intelligence increase using neural, genetic and nanotech
    engineering, info-space, hypermedia and human evolution evolving towards
    self-replicating systems.

    BYE! BYE! for now.

 Paul Hughes              |   Internet: guest@spock.ame.arizona.edu
 1386 N. Country Club Rd. |   UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!
 Tucson, AZ  85716        |          amethyst!spock!guest

 "Anything is possible through imagination and Will."

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (02/11/89)

   > L-volume and aprox 1 second to the other L-volume and Earth. Since space
   > is frictionless, transportation between any two points in this matrix
   > would be almost nothing. This would end phase 1 of Solar system
   > development according to Criswell.

Space may be "frictionless", but that doesn't make travelling in space cheap.
As Saint Isaac pointed out, if you start to go in one direction, you're
gonna keep it up.  The expensive part?  Can you say "delta-vee"?

Bob Myers            | "Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
{the known universe} |  most of the time he will pick himself up and continue."
!hplabs!hpfcla!myers |                        - Winston Churchill

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (02/15/89)

In article <16520003@hpfcdj.HP.COM> myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:

>Space may be "frictionless", but that doesn't make travelling in space cheap.
>As Saint Isaac pointed out, if you start to go in one direction, you're
>gonna keep it up.  The expensive part?  Can you say "delta-vee"?

Oh, Come on! There are lots of ways of storing energy from incoming
masses in rotation, and extracting it later for outgoing masses. With enough
such systems in various directions the energy costs could approach zero.
G. O'neil had such an idea for getting between cylinder cites.s

Cay YOU say "L = I**2 x r"? :-)

    Paul Rodman
    rodman@mfci.uucp

Castell@UMASS.BITNET (Chip Olson@somewhere.out.there) (02/15/89)

From: amethyst!spock!chris@noao.edu  (Chris Ott)

A general comment: You have got to be kidding.

>I make no excuse for my utopianism and my optimism.
>We are running out of time, so somebody has to do it!
>And I'm getting tired od people arguing abd worrying about the future
>instead of creating it. Anyway.

 I don't see you doing any different from the rest of us.  If we're
running out of time, why don't we concentrate on keeping this earth
in some sort of habitable shape instead of proposing all these wild
fantasies that may be technologically possible, but could never be
accomplished within our lifetimes.

>Limits? I see no present evidence of limits? A limit can only be proved
>completly and beyond a shawdow of a doubt, after it has been tested an
>infinite amount of time, under an infinite number of conditions, forever.

 I could use the same theorem to cast doubt on the existence of the
 earth, or even on my own existence. Give me a break.

>  In the book "Interstellar Migration and the Human Experience", David
>  Criswell, Ph.D, demonstrates that there are enough resources in the
>  asteroid belt to construct an extremely massive infra-structure
>  consisting of 40 trillion people with 40,000 trillion tons of supporting
>  structure, occupying aporx. 1 billion cubic km - which is 1 millionth of
>  the space available in the L4 and L5 regions alone! All of these people
>  could be in contact via laser communication with 0.2 seconds in one
>  L-volume and aprox 1 second to the other L-volume and Earth. Since space
>  is frictionless, transportation between any two points in this matrix
>  would be almost nothing. This would end phase 1 of Solar system
>  development according to Criswell.

So what?  What relevance does this fascinating bit of trivia have to the
problems facing the world today?  Take your head out of the clouds, wake
up and smell the ozone.

>      He goes on to talk about phases 2 and 3 which would hinge upon the
>    theoretical technology (perhaps extremely high energy lasers) to
>    dismantle the outer planets, and then mine the sun. He has shown that

Do you have any idea what you are saying? Since we've already pretty much
ruined this planet, we should go out and carve up the others?

>    it would be theoretically possible to convert the sun into a white
>    dwarf, which would extend the lifetime of SOL 1,115 times. He calls
>    this process, "Stellar Lifting".

And just what would this do to the Sun's output? It'd counteract the
greenhouse effect but good, that's for sure.  And if the process changes
the mass of the Sun (stellar engineering isn't my field), the orbits of
every planet,asteroid and comet in the solar system would be radically
altered.

>       Using stellar lifting as a away of collecting the higher elements,
>   Criswell shows that a civilization consiting of 10(16) - 10(21) power
>   humans on a surface area equivalent to 1 billion earths would be
>   possible. This civilization, due to Sol's extended lifetime, would have
>   a potential lifespan of at least 10 trillion years. All of this is
>   possible within the solar system.

Excuse me, but just what makes you think we as a species are going to
last that long?  Even if we manage to avoid blowing ourselves up, the
solar system has been around for only 4.5 billion years. We as a species
have been around for a few million.  Compress that 4.5b years into a single
year, and _Homo sapiens_ shows up at 9 pm or so on December 31 (just in
time to crash the New Years' party). I hate to burst your bubble, but you
and I are just a couple of hairless apes with ideas above our station.
It is these kinds of attitudes that have ruined and are still ruining
the balance of life on this planet.  Now you want to go out and ruin the
balance of the solar system for good measure.

>    What limits?

Sure, "What limits?"  I won't dispute that it's theoretically possible
to accomplish all this.  But by the same token, it is just as theoretically
possible, and far more practically possible, to fix the damage we've done
to this planet (it's called Earth... you were born there... remember?).
None of what you propose can possibly, or even theoretically, be accom-
plished in your lifetime, or my lifetime, or those of our children and
great-grandchildren.  I'm far more interested in making this a more
livable planet for them than I am in pipe dreams.

@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*@#$%&*
(    )  Chip Olson, 808-B McNamara, UMass, Amherst, MA 01003 (413) 546-4474.
:\^^/:   "Why be difficult when with a bit of effort you can be impossible?"
(@::@)  Bitnet:     Castell@UMass.Bitnet
 \\//   Internet:   Castell%UMass.Bitnet@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
 (oo)   UUCP:       {blah!blah!blah}!mit-eddie!castell@umass.bitnet
  ""                (or something like that)

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (02/16/89)

Sometime earlier, amethyst!spock!chris@noao.edu (Chris Ott) wrote a
rather science-fictional message about what we could do in space.
I considered responding, because while I am firmly convinced we should
start moving out into space *RIGHT NOW*, I don't think that plans
that neglect such minor considerations as the cost of delta-V, and
shuffle off into the ozone of "stellar lifting" are particularly
helpful to the cause.

Then, in article <890214185544858.AFZR@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU>
Castell@UMASS.BITNET (Chip Olson@somewhere.out.there) writes:

>A general comment: You have got to be kidding.

A reasonable question.  Not to defend wild fantasies such as turning
the sun into a white dwarf, of course, I see some serious problems with
Chip Olson's position, too.

>Do you have any idea what you are saying? Since we've already pretty much
>ruined this planet, we should go out and carve up the others?
>I hate to burst your bubble, but you
>and I are just a couple of hairless apes with ideas above our station.
>It is these kinds of attitudes that have ruined and are still ruining
>the balance of life on this planet.  Now you want to go out and ruin the
>balance of the solar system for good measure.
>I'm far more interested in making this a more
>livable planet ... than I am in pipe dreams.

Granted that much of Chris Ott's message consisted of far-out pipe
dreams, there's an element of truth there.  We have two choices:
Move forward, or slide backwards.  Staying in the same place is also
a pipe dream, because it is impossible in the medium-to-long term.
How long can you keep dividing up ever smaller pieces of a shrinking
pie?  Not long enough.  Without access to the resources of the solar
system, we're headed back to the 14'th century, one way or another.
Either by uncontrolled collapse, or (scarier...) by being dragged
back by Ecocrats.  Either way requires somehow disposing of the
majority of the Earth's population, and I'd far rather that that be
something we tried to avoid and failed than something that we,
like Hitler or Pol Pot, deliberately planned.

So, forward.  Much of what we can do in space (Not pipe dreams like
solar lifting, but solidly possible things, like SPS and capture
of Earth-intersecting asteroids) can help to take some of the pressure
off Earth's ecosystem.  New energy sources and sources of platinum-
group metals makes it much less likely that war will break out over
mid-east oil or South African mines.

It will buy us a little time until we can figure out what the next
step should be.  Which may be enough.
--
Mike Van Pelt            Video 7            ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp
There are  no perfect  power sources.   There is no  such thing as