[sci.space] 1992 moon base

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (02/13/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>If we assume that there is a useful amount of ice in lunar polar craters --
>not ridiculous but not at all certain either -- it clearly is possible to
>start a lunar colony with today's technology.  Before Challenger, in fact,
>there was a proposal to do exactly that in 1992, as a commemoration of the
>500th anniversary of Columbus.  It would have been within reach of (major)
>private funding, given extensive reliance on donated labor and materials...
>but the reliance on six donated shuttle flights killed it.

Wonderful, Henry.  Lunar colonies (= a handful of people huddled
underground) are feasible if you don't have to pay for little things
like labor, materials or launchers.  By the way, how many shuttle
flights per year would be needed for support of this thing?

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (02/15/89)

In article <1989Feb13.074530.17504@cs.rochester.edu> dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:

>Wonderful, Henry.  Lunar colonies (= a handful of people huddled
>underground)

Are you trying to say that people huddled underground are worthless?

How about people crammed into cities like Tokyo or NYC? How about people
living in -80F in Alaska or Siberia?

Are the people in Antartica doing research useless or pointless because they
are "huddled underground"?

Your imagery is pointless. Yes, a lunar base is probably underground, so what?

    Paul Rodman
    rodman@mfci.uucp

In article <1989Feb13.074530.17504@cs.rochester.edu> dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:
>Wonderful, Henry.  Lunar colonies (= a handful of people huddled
>underground) are feasible if you don't have to pay for little things
>like labor, materials or launchers...

Not quite what I said, which was that a startup lunar colony was very cheap,
and looked feasible *BY 1992*, if most of the big-ticket items were donated.
(As for "a handful of people huddled underground", most of the early colonies
in North America started with not much more, especially after the first
winter.)

>By the way, how many shuttle
>flights per year would be needed for support of this thing?

This was a *colony*, not a base, meaning no crew rotation and the intent
to be self-sufficient in basic materials essentially at once.  Remember
also that it was conceived in the days when shuttle flights were supposedly
going to be cheap and plentiful, so one or two a year for vital materials
and expansion wasn't a big deal.  I don't remember the numbers, but it did
not assume massive ongoing support from Earth.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (02/15/89)

In article <646@m3.mfci.UUCP>, rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:
> Are the people in Antartica doing research useless or pointless because they
> are "huddled underground"?

During the Antartic summer, the research bases maintain staff levels
about ten times as high as in the winter. Wintering over in Antarctica
is not great fun. Going outside is nearly impossible. 50--100 mph
winds blow almost constantly. Temperatures are cold enough to
immediately freeze any exposed flesh. The staffs undergo great
psychological stress from the confinement. The typical 10:1
male:female sex ratios also cause problems (though one suspects that
grad school should have adequately prepared the staffs :-).

To the extent the Antarctic winter is similar to life on the moon, the
experiences of the staffs provide valuable information on the prospects
for sustaining communities there.

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (02/15/89)

In article <1989Feb14.171358.17916@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Feb13.074530.17504@cs.rochester.edu> dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:
>>Wonderful, Henry.  Lunar colonies (= a handful of people huddled
>>underground) are feasible if you don't have to pay for little things
>>like labor, materials or launchers...
>
>Not quite what I said, which was that a startup lunar colony was very cheap,
>and looked feasible *BY 1992*, if most of the big-ticket items were donated.
>(As for "a handful of people huddled underground", most of the early colonies
>in North America started with not much more, especially after the first
>winter.)

don't snicker too loudly just yet. i think it was arthur c. clarke
who wrote in the intro to 2001: a space oddysey that all the money the u.s.
spent on the useless war in vietnam, if it was rechanelled into the space
program, everything he had described in the book could have been easily
realizable today.

in all cases, i wish he was right.

--
Ignac A. Kolenko          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac

"Perhaps if we built this large wooden badger ..."
   - from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

calufrax@blake.acs.washington.edu (Chad Fogg) (02/16/89)

In article <698@uceng.UC.EDU>, dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
> To the extent the Antarctic winter is similar to life on the moon, the
> experiences of the staffs provide valuable information on the prospects
> for sustaining communities there.

I understand that there are a few enclosed and sealed off artificial
habitat experiments where simulated patches of greenery and hydro-
ponics reside. I've heard of one in the SW US that is in operation.

I've also seen photographs of a dome at the South Pole station. Is this
part of the study?

-CF

In article <698@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
>...To the extent the Antarctic winter is similar to life on the moon, the
>experiences of the staffs provide valuable information on the prospects
>for sustaining communities there.

There is one obvious dissimilarity:  the winter staff in Antarctica know
that they're in "maintenance mode", with all the real activity waiting
for the summer.  This will affect motivation.