[sci.space] LANDSAT TO BE SHUT OFF SOON--PLEASE WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN

Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple) (03/08/89)

Question -- if they are to be shut-off, can they ever be
remotely reactivated?  Seems like such a waste shut them
down when while they still work.  Why not just let them
idle?

Landsat -- is that not what we need more of in the first
place to grab the wheather forcasts?

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/09/89)

Dan Quayle, of all people, seems to have found some money to keep
Landsat going.  It was in the SF Chronicle of Tuesday, March 7, 1989.
He didn't say where he got the money.  (VP Quayle is Chairman of some
national space committee or other; others will know better than I.)

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (03/12/89)

In article <1376@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>Dan Quayle, of all people, seems to have found some money to keep
>Landsat going.  It was in the SF Chronicle of Tuesday, March 7, 1989.
>He didn't say where he got the money.  (VP Quayle is Chairman of some
>national space committee or other; others will know better than I.)

He got it from various government agencies that use Landsat data.  So
some customers are willing to pay for its operation.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (03/12/89)

In article <1989Mar11.122307.18100@cs.rochester.edu> dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:
>In article <1376@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>>Dan Quayle, of all people, seems to have found some money to keep
>>Landsat going.
>He got it from various government agencies that use Landsat data.  So
>some customers are willing to pay for its operation.

I just heard about that, and was going to post but y'all beat me to it.

I'll have to look up that newspaper item.  The way I heard it, Quale
dug up about $5M to keep Landsat going for another couple of months.
Congressman George Brown (D-CA) has written a letter to Bush urging
that Landsat be kept going.  The letter was co-signed by a bunch of
congressmen; it might not be a bad idea to (1) find out if your
congresscritter co-signed it, and (2) give him an "attaboy" if he did.

(Why "of all people"?  You don't believe everything the newsdroids
on TV tell you, do you?)
--
Mike Van Pelt                                 "Hey, hey, ho ho,
Video 7                                       Western culture's got to go."