dearborn%sage.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/17/84)

From:  dearborn%sage.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Randy Dearborn, Media Graphics, MK01/2N25, DTN:264-5090)

> I saw an incidental article in the paper today about a fire
> on the set of an sf movie called _Legend_...Does anyone know
> anything about it?

Legend is the newest film from Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, Apple
1984 Ad, etc.)  The fire broke out while filming a special effects shot.
the sound stage burned to the ground.  The stage was the "007 Stage" at
Pinewood Studios, Iverheath, England, the world's largest film stage.
Having visited the stage myself, I can confirm that it was indeed quite
large.  It was built for the production of "The Spy Who Loved Me" to
shoot the oil tanker interior scenes.  Since then, it has appeared in
Superman I,II,III, Krull and a few other films.  I don't know how the fire
will effect the production of _Legend_.  The loss of the "007 Stage" is
quite tragic.  I don't know if Pinewood, or their owners Rank Films, can
afford to rebuild it, insurance or not.  I hope that they do.

Randy Dearborn
Digital Media Graphics
SAGE::DEARBORN
603-884-5090