[sci.space] NSS Space Policy Platform

jordankatz@cdp.UUCP (03/29/89)

THE 1989 SPACE POLICY PLATFORM OF THE NATIONAL SPACE SOCIETY

	The National Space Society (NSS) endorses the vision of the
National Commission on Space as the proper focus for the American
space program. We believe the technologies and industries created
on the space frontier in the next few decades will drive the
world's leading economies in the next century.
	Our role is to educate the public on the benefits of space
development and work with allied organizations to create the
cultural and political context for an open frontier in space.
	We believe the United States must be a leader on that
frontier, or it will cease to be the great hope for human liberty
and freedom.

What Steps Need to be Taken?

Take the Lead in Space Transportation
     1. Establish a national policy goal of radically lowering the
cost of manned and unmanned access to space.  New initiatives
should be encouraged from the civil, military, industrial, and
scientific space communities.
     2. Provide assured access to space with a robust mixed fleet,
including the Shuttle, and new heavy lift launch vehicles.  Ensure
a robust industrial infrastructure to support the fleet.
     3. Promote the international competitiveness of the U.S.
commercial launch vehicle industry.
     4. Pursue the development of advanced air-breathing launch
vehicles with the National Aerospace Plane Program.  At the same
time, continue evolutionay improvements of the Shuttle to enhance
its effectiveness.
     5. Initiate development efforts to improve the capabiity and
efficiency of in-space transportation systems for manned and
unmanned missions beyond Earth orbit.

Learn How to Work in Space
     1. Build the Space Station Freedom to create the enabling
technologies and knowledge for people to live and work in space.
     2. Develop capabilities for the routine performance of space
construction, servicing, and in-space repair tasks.  Initiatives
are needed in human extravehicular activities (EVA), teleoperation,
and robotic spacecraft.
     3. Establish a permanent manned return to the Moon by the
early 21st Century as a Space Station mission requirement.
Evolutionary growth of the Station complex should support the
creation of multiple facilities in low Earth orbit.

Open the Frontier
     l. Establish scientific and resource extraction facilities on
the Moon.  Mission requirements should emphasize the greatest
possible degree of self-sufficiency.
     2. Promote renewed study of solar power satellites to provide
energy to space facilities and potentially to the Earth.
Construction and operation of such satellites should emphasize
economic benefits and environmental acceptability.
     3. Explore the Solar System using manned and unmanned
expeditions.  Priority missions should be those with clear
scientific and potential economic value.
     4. Pursue a long-term goal of extending human life beyond
Earth's atmosphere, leading ultimately to the establishment of
space settlements throughout the Solar System.

Reform the Governmental Environment for Space Policy
     1. Increase the efficiency of the interagency process and
provide timely resolutions to space policy questions.  The national
security, civil government, and commercial sectors of space
activity are recognized as having distinct functions that promote
U.S. interests.
     2. Oppose the so-called Moon Treaty, and open discussions with
signatories to the l967 Outer Space Treaty and the l972 Liability
Convention on measures to speed the commercial development of space
for all parties.
     3. Establish a national policy goal of sustained industrial
expansion into space, assisted but not controlled by government
agencies.

Revitalize the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
     1. Provide the resources and management focus for NASA to
perform leading edge research and development in space. Areas for
special attention include propulsion, life sciences, automation,
robotics and artificial intelligence technologies, space power
systems, microgravity research, and the processing of non-
terrestrial materials.
     2. Provide limited exemptions from Federal civil service
regulations to enable NASA centers to attract the vital talent it
needs for its leadership and oversight roles.
     3. Increase NASA's budget commensurate with its mission.  A
minimum of $14 billion is required for fiscal year l990.

[This was provided by Jordan Katz: National Computer Networking Coordinator;
of The National Space Society.

web@garnet.berkeley.edu (William Baxter) (03/30/89)

In article <246900013@cdp>, jordankatz@cdp writes:

>THE 1989 SPACE POLICY PLATFORM OF THE NATIONAL SPACE SOCIETY

Do they want to:

>     1. Establish a national policy goal of radically lowering the
>cost of manned and unmanned access to space.
>     2. Provide assured access to space with a robust mixed fleet ...
>     3. Promote the international competitiveness of the U.S.
>commercial launch vehicle industry.
>     5. Initiate development efforts to improve the capabiity and
>efficiency of in-space transportation systems ...
>     2. Develop capabilities for the routine performance of space
>construction, servicing, and in-space repair tasks.
>     3. Explore the Solar System ...

(For the purposes of this statement, please forget momentarily there has
been no progress toward these goals under NASA oversight during the past
two decades.)

Or do would they rather:

>     4. Pursue the development of advanced air-breathing launch
>vehicles with the National Aerospace Plane Program.
>     1. Build the Space Station Freedom ...
>     3. Establish a permanent manned return to the Moon ...
>     l. Establish scientific and resource extraction facilities on
>the Moon.
>     1. Provide the resources and management focus for NASA to
>perform leading edge research and development in space.
>     2. Provide limited exemptions from Federal civil service
>regulations to enable NASA centers to attract the vital talent it
>needs ...

In any case, the bottom line is:

>     3. Increase NASA's budget commensurate with its mission.  A
>minimum of $14 billion is required for fiscal year l990.

It's a shame that the National Space Society leaders have not seen fit
to take input on questions of policy from members.  Since joining, I
have seen no attempt on their part to encourage debate of policy issues
on any level of the organization.  Instead, they send out questionnaires
asking whether we should (a) Build the Space Station, (b) Go to the
Moon, or (c) Go to Mars.

Some NSS chapters are discussing issues of policy.  If you want to join
us, send me email.

William Baxter

ARPA: web@{garnet,brahms,math}.Berkeley.EDU
UUCP: {sun,dual,decwrl,decvax,hplabs,...}!ucbvax!garnet!web

San Diego L5, pronoun,  1. An organization working to foster the
creation of a spacefaring civilization through public outreach,
occasional political action, and establishing an appropriate
philosophical basis for informed policy decisions.  2. A disease that
infects NSS chapters causing them to refuse orders from headquarters to
engage in NASA boosting and other anti-space activities.