[sci.space] Planning a trip to Proxima Centauri

macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) (03/28/89)

Henry Spencer posts:

:Let us all be very cautious about this; while it sounds promising, there
:have been major scientific false alarms before.  (For example, there were
:a number of high-temperature-superconductor false alarms before Bednorz
:and Muller hit the jackpot -- this was one reason why their report was
:slow to be accepted.)

Caution is fine, but I'm too excited to keep still.  Given the energy
density figures from preliminary reports, how much of a scale-up
will it take for a constant-boost ship capable of going to Proxima
Centauri?  Assume refueling there.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm guilty of the cardinal sin of THINKING BIG
again...

I vote for calling it PROMETHEUS.

Michael Sloan MacLeod   (amdahl!drivax!macleod)

In article <4441@drivax.UUCP> macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:
>... Given the energy
>density figures from preliminary reports, how much of a scale-up
>will it take for a constant-boost ship capable of going to Proxima
>Centauri?  Assume refueling there.

Massive.  Colossal.  Nearly impossible.  Fusion is only marginally viable
as an interstellar propulsion system at all, never mind constant-boost!
Effective interstellar propulsion requires antimatter rockets at least,
and preferably systems like the Bussard ramjet or the laser sail that
escape from some of the limitations of rockets.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1989Mar29.210617.4334@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <4441@drivax.UUCP> macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:
>>... Given the energy
>>density figures from preliminary reports, how much of a scale-up
>>will it take for a constant-boost ship capable of going to Proxima
>>Centauri?  Assume refueling there.
>
>Massive.  Colossal.  Nearly impossible.  Fusion is only marginally viable
>as an interstellar propulsion system at all, never mind constant-boost!
>Effective interstellar propulsion requires antimatter rockets at least,
>and preferably systems like the Bussard ramjet or the laser sail that
>escape from some of the limitations of rockets.

	However, _really_ cheap energy might make anitmatter propulsion
far more feasible (though still expensive, it's an engineering problem -
we can make and store anti-matter, just not well, since the need for such
engineering has been small so far.)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

andrew@nsc.nsc.com (andrew) (04/01/89)

I think that interstellar hydrogen exists. Add energy; there's your
deuterium for your palladium. Also, low temperatures exist (3 deg K).
There's the environment for energy storage in (even an old-type) superconductor.
Now we have energy storage and generation of ideal type. What's the catch?
(is it in making the deuterium - or is there enough out there already?).
=====
Andrew Palfreyman 		USENET: ...{this biomass}!nsc!logic!andrew
National Semiconductor M/S D3969, 2900 Semiconductor Dr., PO Box 58090,
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8090 ; 408-721-4788 		there's many a slip
							'twixt cup and lip