[sci.space] Recovery of Salyut 7

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (Bob Gray) (03/31/89)

In article <2168@wyse.wyse.com> mikew@wyse.com (Mike Wexler) writes:
>mission was? I can think of several possibilities:

>	3. so they can analyze the effects of long term exposure to LEO.

This seems like the best reason for bringing Salyut 7 down
in one bit. Taking it apart in a laboratory back on Earth
will provide the Soviets with a lot of very valuable
information on how materials and machinery wear and
deteriorate during long term exposure to conditions in orbit.

Build for a short lifetime, analyse anything that goes
wrong, re-design, re-build. That seems to be the usual
Soviet space exploration technique.

Contrast with the NASA method of a designing the space
station to have a 30 year life expectancy, using new alloys
and plastics, none of which have had any long term exposure
to conditions in orbit.
	Bob.

ahiggins@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Andrew Higgins) (04/02/89)

In article <2168@wyse.wyse.com> mikew@wyse.com (Mike Wexler) writes:

> mission was? I can think of several possibilities:
>       [reasons for recovery of Salyut 7]
>  	3. so they can analyze the effects of long term exposure to LEO.

I've also heard a 4th reason (a bit more PR oriented) for this mission:
displaying Salyut 7 at the Paris 1992 Air Show.
--
 Andrew J. Higgins	          |     Illini Space Development Society
 ahiggins@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu     |     a chapter of the National Space Society