[sci.space] Soviet Launch Sites

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (04/01/89)

In article <1989Mar28.045026.7380@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Cover:  photo of the systems-test prototype of the Soviet shuttle,
>in its bay at Baikonur.
                ^^^^^^^

If I recall correctly what was said in James Oberg's _Red Star in Orbit_,
the city of Baikonur doesn't even exist!  It was a cover-up (that they're
still using) to keep the US (and others) from knowing their exact launch
site (then Tyrantrum[sp]).

Now my question: where is the true place that the Soviet shuttle (and other
space shots) is launched from?  I seem to recall hearing one time about two
locations.  Latitude and Longitude would be nice to know, too.
--
                Glen Overby     <ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
        uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)   ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (04/03/89)

From article <2500@ndsuvax.UUCP>, by ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby):
> If I recall correctly what was said in James Oberg's _Red Star in Orbit_,
> the city of Baikonur doesn't even exist!

The main Soviet launch site really is called Kosmodrom Baykonur.  There
is a huge sign saying "Baykonur" at the entrance! It should not be
confused with the village of Baykonur some 200 km uprange.  The
cosmodrome lies several miles from the city of Leninsk, which was built
on the site of the small town of Tyuratam; Western sources still
sometimes refer to the launch site as Tyuratam. The Soyuz pads
at Baykonur are located at 46.0 degrees N, 63.5 to 64.0 degrees E.
The SS-9 pads are at about 63.0 degrees E, and Proton and Energia
are somewhere inbetween. It is a huge place. (Coordinates based
on Landsat photos and on working back the orbital ground tracks.)

 .----------------------------------------------------------------.
 |  Jonathan McDowell       |  phone : (617)495-7144              |
 |  Center for Astrophysics | uucp: husc6!harvard!cfa200!mcdowell |
 |  60 Garden Street        | bitnet : mcdowell@cfa.bitnet        |
 |  Cambridge  MA 02138     |  inter : mcdowell@cfa.harvard.edu   |
 |  USA                     |   span : cfa::mcdowell              |
 |                          |  telex : 92148 SATELLITE CAM	  |
 |                          |    FAX : (617)495-7356              |
 '----------------------------------------------------------------'

In article <2500@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
>If I recall correctly what was said in James Oberg's _Red Star in Orbit_,
>the city of Baikonur doesn't even exist!  It was a cover-up...
>
>Now my question: where is the true place that the Soviet shuttle (and other
>space shots) is launched from?

The Baikonur Cosmodrome.  That is its official name.  The name is indeed
a relic of a deception attempt, since the town of Baikonur -- which does
exist -- is far away and has nothing to do with the Cosmodrome.

>I seem to recall hearing one time about two locations.

The other major Soviet launch site is Plesetsk; the traffic is split
about 50-50.  Plesetsk is primarily military and has been very highly
secret until quite recently.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu