[sci.space] Primordial Hydrocarbons

oreilly@hpldsla.HP.COM (03/28/89)

Mike Van Pelt writes;
> The outfit in Sweden found methane... the gas
> had been verified as being of non-biological origin, but they
> didn't explain how they had verified this.

Carbon contains two stable isotopes, carbon-12 and carbon-13.
During photosynthesis, the carbon retained in plant tissue is enriched
in carbon-12 (relative to non-biogenic carbon, such as diamond). Thus methane
of biogenic origin is usually enriched in carbon-12.

Tom O'Reilly
oreilly@hpldsla

f86_lerner@tekno.chalmers.se (Mikael Lerner) (04/04/89)

In article <291@v7fs1.UUCP>, mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
> <Thomas Gold, an astronomer/geologist, has suggested that there are plenty of
> <hydrocarbons on Earth that are _not_ due to metamorphosis of dead plant
> <and animal matter.  Having heard him speak on this topic, I can say that
> <he makes a convincing case.  Some outfit in Sweden is digging for some of
> <his "primordial" hydrocarbons on the rim of an ancient meteor strike.
>
> As luck would have it, last night's NOVA episode was on exactly
> this topic.  The outfit in Sweden found methane, but not enough
> to make the well viable at this time.  They said that the gas
> had been verified as being of non-biological origin, but they
> didn't explain how they had verified this.

	Please, notice the word 'digging'! The drill hasn't stopped
	yet! Almost a kilometer of drilling remains. The goal is
	7500 m, where the large amounts of gas is thought to be found.

	Anyway, the methane concentration has increased steadily
	with increasing depth. And the latest news I have read,
	says that the bottom of the hole is filled with oil, and
	preliminary analysis shows that this oil is of the same
	type found in small amounts on other places in the neighbor-
	hood.

	So ... We keep our fingers crossed.

Mikael Lerner                               "This is the way the world ends,
F86_Lerner@tekno.chalmers.se                 not with a bang, but a whimper."
Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden                      T.S. Eliot

wooding@daisy.UUCP (Mike Wooding) (04/04/89)

In article <662@tekno.chalmers.se>, f86_lerner@tekno.chalmers.se (Mikael Lerner) writes:
< In article <291@v7fs1.UUCP>, mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
< > <Thomas Gold, an astronomer/geologist, has suggested that there are plenty of
< > <hydrocarbons on Earth that are _not_ due to metamorphosis of dead plant
< > <and animal matter.  Having heard him speak on this topic, I can say that
< > <he makes a convincing case.  Some outfit in Sweden is digging for some of
< > <his "primordial" hydrocarbons on the rim of an ancient meteor strike.
< >
<
< 	Please, notice the word 'digging'! The drill hasn't stopped
< 	yet! Almost a kilometer of drilling remains. The goal is
< 	7500 m, where the large amounts of gas is thought to be found.

 When do they expect to finish the hole? Are they finding more/less
 gas/oil than expected? Sources?

 m wooding