[sci.space] space news from Jan 30 AW&ST

US antimatter research (notably for space propulsion) is being affected
by a shortage of antiprotons.  CERN, the only major source at present,
dedicates its supply to basic research [and also has political reservations
about involvement in anything that hints of military applications, even
fairly innocuous ones like space propulsion].  DoD considers it urgent
to develop a domestic antiproton source; modification of the SSC is being
looked at.

Interior Dept's Bureau of Land Management is evaluating use of Geostar
to track its own aircraft in flight.

China's first polar-orbit metsat, which failed after 39 days in flight,
may have died because of attitude-control problems.  (It is also known
to have had overheating problems in its imager, but image quality was
nevertheless good.)

Future of SDI deployment uncertain under Bush.  He is thought likely to
take treaty compliance more seriously than Reagan did, and the limited
usefulness and high price of a treaty-compliant system will probably
scuttle it.

Arianespace hopes to launch 13 payloads on 9 Arianes this year, to help
clear its growing backlog.  Tentative FY88 financial results for Arianespace
show it making a profit of about $17M on revenues of $612M.  Formal signing
of contracts for the 50-unit production batch of Ariane 4s is imminent.
There is slight disappointment at managing only 7 launches, rather than
the planned 8, in 1988, but the performance was still credible.

Britain is reconsidering the idea of taking a limited role in Ariane 5,
despite its earlier complete rejection of the program.  The possible
limited role would be through a bilateral deal with France rather than
direct participation at the ESA level.  This would give British industry
Ariane 5 contracts without compromising the rejection of a direct role
for the government.

SEP [which builds Ariane engines] will test-fire an uncooled high-temperature
composite nozzle on an Ariane third-stage engine.  The carbon / silicon
carbide composite retains strength up to 1800C, eliminating the complexity
and mass of the cooling system needed for metal nozzles.  This is strictly
a technology testbed; no application to production Ariane third stages is
planned at present.

GOES-West's imager fails, putting the US back to one Clarke-orbit metsat
again.  GOES-East is being shifted to a more central position to give
better coverage of winter storms; it will be shifted back somewhat in
spring for hurricane monitoring.  The outer fringes of the coverage areas,
notably Alaska, Hawaii, and the eastern Caribbean islands, will see
reduced warning time for serious storms.  The failure was expected, as
GOES-West was beyond its rated lifetime and the encoder lamp that failed
is a known trouble spot with the old GOES design.  GOES-East has enough
fuel to operate until mid-1990, when the first next-generation GOES will
be launched.

QM-8 SRB firing on Jan 20, the low-temperature test, was successful.
This officially concludes the SRB redesign program, although plans are
in the works for ongoing tests on a more relaxed schedule.  The only
test specifically planned yet is one in spring 1990 to qualify the use
of ammonium-perchlorate oxidizer from Pacific Engineering's new plant.

Coverage of the decision to replace Discovery's oxygen turbopumps.
There was some consideration of postponing the mission, since the pad
absolutely had to be clear by March 14 to avoid delays for Magellan,
but not launching TDRS-D would have threatened postponement of the
Hubble telescope launch, which NASA preferred to avoid.

Last Intelsat 5 went up on Ariane Jan 26.

DoT sets insurance minima for commercial launches:  Martin Marietta and
McDonnell Douglas must buy $80M of insurance for commercial Titan and
Delta launches, General Dynamics $75M for each commercial Atlas.  These
numbers are for damage to government property; third-party liability
insurance will also be required, but this will be set individually for
each launch for now.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.GOV (Frank J. Nagy, VAX Wizard & Guru) (04/05/89)

> Subject: space news from Jan 30 AW&ST
> US antimatter research (notably for space propulsion) is being affected
> by a shortage of antiprotons.  CERN, the only major source at present,
> dedicates its supply to basic research [and also has political reservations
> about involvement in anything that hints of military applications, even
> fairly innocuous ones like space propulsion].  DoD considers it urgent
> to develop a domestic antiproton source; modification of the SSC is being
> looked at.

This is a great example of how confused our government is.  Fermilab
makes antiprotons, stores antiprotons and uses antiprotons.  I know that
for a while we surpassed CERN in antiproton production, though this might
no longer be true (CERN was planning/installing an upgrade to improve
the rate of antiproton production and collection the last I heard).

This is all rather moot however, since the antiproton beams being stored
at either CERN or Fermilab qualify as high-grade vacuums at best.  Also,
the Robert Forward "wallplug" efficiency of antiproton production at
either lab is laughably small.

= Dr. Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru & Wizard"
= Fermilab Research Division/Electrical and Electronics Dept/Controls Group
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510