[sci.space] Astrology

jcbst3@cisunx.UUCP (James C. Benz) (04/05/89)

In article <Added.MY_DYiy00Ui3Q=lE8q@andrew.cmu.edu> CALVIN@JHUIGF.BITNET (Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?) writes:
>I mean, maybe the moon has some effect on noctournal animals, but if you're
>trying to defend the age-old astrologer's "the moon effects the tides, and
>they're water, and since the human body is 98% water, the moon must affect
>people" argument, then I would really love to see some data on that.

Not to lend any support to pseudo-science, but an interesting thing to look
at in this respect is the police blotter of any large urban area on the
night of a full moon.  I have heard the same story from several police
officers here in Pittsburgh - craaazy things happen when there's a full
moon, not just your run-of-the-mill stabbings and domestic violence, but
the truly bizzarre.  Of course, this is probably purely subjective - people
see a full moon and all their inhibitions go out the window, but an
interesting phenomenon nonetheless.
--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     If a modem
University of Pittsburgh					 answers,